Mixing Mmf With My Kitchenaid

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 6 Feb 2006 , 8:50pm by cindy6250

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 7:43pm
post #1 of 13

i have the 250 watt kitchenaid- does anyone know if i can mix up a batch of mmf in it without blowing it up? or at least maybe mix it with half the powdered sugar, then do it by hand?

12 replies
lesisalwaysmore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lesisalwaysmore Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 7:47pm
post #2 of 13

I'm not sure about the 250, but, my 325 groans with the full 2 lbs of sugar. I need to try it with less sugar, I've yet to get a good batch.

ngarza07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ngarza07 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 13

I used my friends 250 KA this past Christmas to make some while visiting her in Vegas, and it worked just fine. I did notice the difference in power, but did not impact the outcome. It was the first time her KA was used. She does not bake, she just got a great deal on it and bought it.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 7:53pm
post #4 of 13

I had just received mine as a gift in December and the first thing I tried was the MMF...it groaned and I got scared and turned it off! I had previously read a thread about someone burning theirs up so I haven't tried since. I am going to try again but with less powdered sugar.

ybai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ybai Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:02pm
post #5 of 13

I used my bread machine for mmf and it turned out excellent icon_smile.gif

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:06pm
post #6 of 13

i wish i had a bread machine now! i was thinking i could use the mixer to mix in just enough ps so when i finish by hand i'm not coated in mmf- no matter how much crisco i put on my hands, it doesn't seem to matter. and of course, that's when one of my kids wants something, or the baby starts to cry and i'm up to my elbows in mmf icon_lol.gif

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:20pm
post #7 of 13

Wow. what an excellent thought! I could use my bread machine for something! Thanks.

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:26pm
post #8 of 13

I have the 325 and it works just fine - You must put on that dough hook when it starts to groan! Make sure you scrap the bowl down too....keep the MMF from climbing your hook. I am not sure about the 250 - I did make MMF in my mom's mixer that was a 300 watt and it did fine too.

Good luck

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:28pm
post #9 of 13

I made some MMF this weekend and was afraid to use my mixer, glad I didn't I had a heck of a time mixing it up. I am not sure if I did it right, do you have to use the full 2lbs of powdered sugar? My MMF was very dry.

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:32pm
post #10 of 13

I just mixed it till I had the consistency I needed for my projects this weekend. It didn't take the full two pounds, but pretty darn close to it. I tried one batch in my counter mixer, and it just didn't blend very well. It was hard and difficult to work with. So I did the second batch by hand. Messy (which I hate) but much easier to work with.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:43pm
post #11 of 13

With the 300 watt, I have done the small batch, the one where you use only the one cup of marshmallows. I haven't done the whole bag one with it though. I have a 6 quart now, may have to give it a try. I do know that 2 is the maximum speed you should use for this. I can tell you that to knead regular rolled fondant, the dough hook and the 300 watts is just not enough power and you can burn out the machine. I know a few people that have done so, the fondant is just too stiff.
Hugs Squirrelly

tabs8774 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tabs8774 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:45pm
post #12 of 13

hi i have the 250 watt classic and i always make my mmf in it. i do have to add only half the sugar at first and then mix by hand the rest,but it usually turns out great. i also use the dough hook anyway... im sure it will be fine thumbs_up.gif

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 8:50pm
post #13 of 13

I made my first batch of MMF this past weekend and mixed it by hand. I agree that it is a little messy but I thought it went together very easily. I ended up not using all the powdered sugar either and kneaded it by hand for a little bit. I didn't use it right away either, so I wrapped it really well in plastic wrap and put into a freezer bag. When I got ready to use it, I popped it in the microwave for 10 seconds and it worked great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%