I Present To You....my Nightmare!

Decorating By rhondie Updated 19 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm by rhondie

rhondie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rhondie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:07am
post #1 of 29

I said that I would post a picture of this cake in one of my other posts but I have too much to say about this cake from the dark side. Thanks to everyone who helped me through the color crisis and other various questions that I asked.
1. The groom whom was an artist designed this cake and his wife made the topper. I'm NOT an artist but will try to copy his design in frosting

2. The base color of the frosting was supposed to be more of a grayish blue not aqua.

3. The dark blue royal decorations took forever to make and days to dry

4. they were even harder to attach to the cake

5. On the drive the bottom layer started shifting giving me a mild heart attack. a lot of the royal decorations broke and fell off!

6. upon arrival my bottom layer looks awful and there are about 5 strangers watching me try to repair it.

7. Once I realized that there was nothing more that I could do I started to assemble it...didn't line up the Wilton globes correctly

8. One of the globes needs to be pushed further down to cover the exposed pillar

9. The middle tier has the back side of the cake showing......you can see in the picture that the leaves are way too close together. ( the other side was more evenly spaced)

So I feel like a failure. The bride and groom were not there yet to give me there feedback and frankly I'm scared to hear from them. I was paid 125.00 to do this cake and even though that's beans for $ I still fell like I do not deserve to cash the check. What should I do?

Crap, crap....I cannot even figure out how to upload the picture!!!!!!!! Too many pixels? Please look in my pictures....I'll try to upload a close picture of the damaged side

28 replies
jsmith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jsmith Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:18am
post #2 of 29

What are you talking about?! It looks so cool. Cash the check first thing on Monday because you earned it. Of course you're going to see all the flaws in your own work. I always do that to my cakes, though so I understand what you mean. I keep waiting for the customer to burst out into disappointed tears but none have yet. icon_rolleyes.gif

bonnebouche Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnebouche Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:18am
post #3 of 29

I caught the first picture you posted of the cake and saved it as one of my favorites!!!! It's beautiful. Is the second picture after you delivered it? I still think it is stunning

missy77510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missy77510 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:22am
post #4 of 29

I think your cake looks great! well worth what you were paid. We are our own worst critics, I'm sure the bride and groom loved it.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:23am
post #5 of 29

I'm sorry you had such a rough time of it. Your cake looks beautiful nevertheless.

Maybe you can call them and just say something like "I was holding onto the check until I got the thumbs up from you. Did the cake meet your approval?" Then, depending on his/her response as to whether you hit the bank with it.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:23am
post #6 of 29

It looks fabulous! The daisies against the blue really pop! Did you transport it assembled or did you assemble it on-site?

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:24am
post #7 of 29

Okay, here's the excellent news -- upon first view -- it's a stunning cake. The eye takes in the whole picture and it's really beautiful -- the colors are great, even if they aren't what you intended exactly.

Here's the even better news -- the issues you have with it aren't really noticeable, and they aren't even terrible. YOU notice them much more than the observer because you're staring at them as they happen. We've all been there and we've all had it happen. But, honestly, you did a great save, and it came out looking great! Easier said than done, I know, but try not to be so hard on yourself.

icon_smile.gif

Sarah

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #8 of 29

I think the cake is absolutely gorgeous, and I agree with everyone else: you will notice your mistakes but nobody else will. I've had this happen many times!

I had a transporting disaster once and I was at the reception just before it was due to start, fixing it. I had a couple of guests standing around saying, "It's a bit late to be making the cake, isn't it?" It was very embarassing, so I know how you feel, but your cake looks fantastic, so don't feel bad!!!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:30am
post #9 of 29

I am sorry you had so much trouble with delivery of the cake. The cake is beautiful and certainly worth more than $125. Cash your check because you earned it.

Jenae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenae Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:32am
post #10 of 29

We are all our own worst critic. It is a beautiful cake!! Those that don't decorate don't notice flaws, unless you point them out to the "untrained" eye(non-decorator). Stop fretting about it!! You did an awesome job!!

rhondie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:33am
post #11 of 29

I transported the cake unassembled. The bottom cake that shifted had raspberry filling in it...don't know if that has too much to do with it and oh yeah, we drove my husbands dodge diesel. It drives like a tank! I think everything in that truck was jiggling!!!! I like the idea that all4cake suggested but if they said no give us our money back and my husband found out, he would probably put a kabosh to me making any more cakes. He sees the time and effort that it takes to make a cake and can't stand it when people have not a clue as to the time involved.

Now let's say I got big bucks for this cake...say 500.00 then I would definitely have to refund some of their money. Should it be any different only because the amount of the pay is smaller?

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #12 of 29

I was expecting to see a monstrosity and I was trying to think of ways to console you. NO PITY FOR YOU!!!! the cake is beautiful and I'm sure they loved it!!!

Feefs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Feefs Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:42am
post #13 of 29

Oh My!! that cake is gorgeous... yes I can see the bits that you were talkin about - but only because you mentioned them... it really isn't that obvious. I think they will be delighted - to the untrained cake eye, it will look perfect. It's now in my favourites folder - I'm very partial to anything blue! hehehe

well done, I think u did a smashing job.!

-- Fi

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:43am
post #14 of 29

I totally agree with Sonoma9! You did a great job on this cake and a great save when the problems set in. It looks to me like you were able to turn the distressed side to the back and the rest of the cake looks great. I'd hope the bride and groom wilsee that and be very happy with the cake. Who sees the back of the wedding cake anyway? The bride, groom and servers. I'd go to the bank with the check. You did a great job.

all4cake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
all4cake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:50am
post #15 of 29

I can relate to the gut wrenching guilt you feel when you know what went wrong and think that it must show up like it's under a magnifying glass to everyone else...like a zit pops up on your forehead on "picture day"...omg...you think it looks like a TUMOR but no one else noticed it until you took the sharpie and outlined it for 'em...NO, that didn't happen to me...but a friend of a friend of a friend of a cousin's friend...

Don't even mention that you haven't cashed the check....just check in...you'd feel much better either way...okay...I know I would if it were me.

rhondie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:25am
post #16 of 29

Guys, I'm really thinking that the poor quality of my digital camera is making the cake look a lot better than it actually was. It's not like it was just a section that ripped and bulged. I of course put the "best" part forward. Oh well...I'm pooped...goodnight all! Thanks for the encouragement!

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:40am
post #17 of 29

I'm sorry that this was such a nightmare for you. Transporting wedding cakes is by far my least favorite part of making cakes ... it is soooooo stressful, no matter how careful you are!!! icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

Like others have said, we are all our own worst critics. I think your cake turned out beautiful ... I love it!!! So unique and fun! Every cake has a "back", and yours was no different. I think you did a wonderful job saving the cake, and I would really be surprised if anyone at the wedding noticed the "flaws" that you mentioned. I think the color was just fine, too --- it is very hard to perfectly match icing to any other medium (markers, paint, fabric, ribbon, etc.). I always tell my customers that I will do my best to match the colors, but I can't guarantee an exact match.

I think that you should absolutely cash the check on Monday and not give it another thought. You earned every penny of that $125, and boy, did they get a DEAL!!! Keep your chin up, and keep making those beautiful cakes!!!! thumbs_up.gif

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 6:46am
post #18 of 29

I think it is so funny that when you hand someone a photo with them and several other people it they only notice themselves. The photo could be great of everyone else but the person will zoom in and notice a crooked smile, hair out of place of something about them that no one else sees.

However, if everyone in the picture is making a strange face, had eyes closed or wind blowing their hair up, if you look good then it's a great photo.

I think our cakes are the same. When we do them, we notice every little flaw and nothing else. Everyone else sees the whole picture and sees how great it is.

I'm one of the worst. Every cake I was embarrassed to give it to the person. I thought everyone was so sad looking. Then I noticed how most people only see the over all cake and they don't see the mistakes.

Your cake is lovely! I'm sure the bride and groom thought it was PERFECT.

imartsy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imartsy Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:04am
post #19 of 29

You're being way too hard on yourself! Is it perfect... no.... is any cake REALLY perfect? There probably aren't too many of them..... as we can see on Ace of Cakes even the best of cakes sometimes have touch ups from cracked fondant or something else that you stick a flower there - b/c you gotta cover up something! And no one is the wiser..... yes, I will admit the middle tier looks a little off-center but that's all I could see. It ended up beautiful - I bet they loved it - and I'm sure it tasted great - don't think about giving them back a dime - you totally earned it. Now rejoice & celebrate - your cake is done you got a little money and all is right with the world! And you've learned some good lessons for next time...... but don't be so hard on yourself. You did good!

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 11:42am
post #20 of 29

You're right this is another disaster.

The disaster is that like all other cake decorators you only see the flaws!!!!!

Heck, I wish I could have created such a cake and using such a beautiful colour (and it does look great against that red background).

I myself am afflicted so badly that I'm glad I'm unable to scan and upload photos of my own attempts. I am also thinking of starting a club for the similarly afflicted, when I've thought of a name for it....

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #21 of 29

the cake really looks nice and unique just like the groom wanted.
my thought is maybe put a little less bc inbetween the layers, less chance of sliding. i try to keep my completed cakes in the fridge til delivery so they are set up firmer.

you should deposit the check, that was work making the cake. and if by chance you get a call, i wouldnt give all the money back. but i doubt you will hear from them. its a very nice cake.

rhondie Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 2:38am
post #22 of 29

You ALL are right!!! Talked to the mother of the groom and she said that they loved the cake so no worries there. After reading qtcakes post I have to admit that I did put a generous amount of filling...I really wanted to make the cake 4 inches tall. I use the 3" pans and am thinking of switching to the 2" pans so I do not have to try so hard to get my 4 inches. Thanks every one! ~ Rhondie

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #23 of 29

thats what i use is 2'' pans, then you can double or even triple the layers. and when you ad filling it comes out to be 4 1/2 inches high, on double layers of course..

CSMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSMoore Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:55pm
post #24 of 29

Wow, that cake gorgoues. Cash the check and charge more next time icon_smile.gif I was looking at your other cakes and they are all great. I noticted that you use the 14, 10, 6 sized tiers mostly. Are they 3' deep or two 2' layer?

rhondie Posted 13 Mar 2007 , 12:53am
post #25 of 29

They are 3 inches deep , then torted once and filled. Boy if I did 2 layers in my 3 inch pans that would give me major height...anybody ever done that before? That would also be a stinking lot of cake! Imagine transporting a 6" tall cake...yikes!

bush1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bush1 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 5:55am
post #26 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhondie

They are 3 inches deep , then torted once and filled. Boy if I did 2 layers in my 3 inch pans that would give me major height...anybody ever done that before? That would also be a stinking lot of cake! Imagine transporting a 6" tall cake...yikes!

Rhondie, when I use my 3" pans I always do 2 layers. I know that the snowflake cake in my pics was double 3" layers and my god it was heavy.

cakeguru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeguru Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 2:04pm
post #27 of 29

you only charged 125 bucks for that awesomeness? Seriously?

You need to rethink your fees....

phoenix13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
phoenix13 Posted 18 Mar 2007 , 7:04pm
post #28 of 29

Our stories are alot alike! But I think your cake is not as bad as u say. And its worth way more than that price. cash your check, u deserve it . read my story "2nd wedding cake". I'll try to post pics. thumbs_up.gif

rhondie Posted 19 Mar 2007 , 1:29pm
post #29 of 29

For every one wondering why 125.00? Well it was for a lady from my church (well, her son) and When I agreed to the price it was over the phone and for just a basic buttercream cake with fresh tulips. When she came over to discuss flavors and design she brought her son with her who was REALLY into designing HIS cake. I just kept saying sure..I can do that not really taking into consideration that this would be a very time consuming cake. I was happy to take on the challenge.

Next time agree on price after I know the design! No regrets, I really enjoyed doing this cake..It was fun and different. ~ Rhondie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%