Interesting Way Of Turning Fondant Into Gumpaste

Decorating By SquirrellyCakes Updated 19 Mar 2006 , 1:03am by KittisKakes

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:00am
post #1 of 16

Thought I would share this post that my buddy Sewsweet2 made on RBDesigns. I am sure many will recognize her name, she is famous for her Faux Fondant technique and her decorating and advice on several sites and is an all round nice lady too.
It is just to me, such a neat idea, I had to share it.
I haven't tried it yet but it makes sense that it would work and I think it is interesting and a good idea. Here is part of her post.
Hugs Squirrelly
Go to the store and buy "Fixodent" denture adhesive powder. It has to be the powder. I add about a teaspoon of this to a wad of fondant about the size of a baseball. Knead it into the fondant and use like gumpaste. It will get hard for you and you'll have great ribbons. Someone at the RCCA cake show in Omaha, NE, a couple of years ago, told me this hint. They had check it out and it is safe to use. After all, you use the denture adhesive in your mouth. Your gumpaste has the added benefit of being a little minty smelling too. LOL

15 replies
jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:51pm
post #2 of 16

LOL! I just had a thought of running to my parent's and asking for some of their denture powder!!!

You know though, I just might do that and experiment. I've yet to make a nice rose out of fondant and why not practice more, thanks for the tip!

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 16

WIERD!!!!! LOL!!!

Cady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cady Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 16

I am going to try it!!!!!
Thanks SQ!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 11:45pm
post #5 of 16

Haha, tried to get a box of the powder today but the pharmacy was out, but I would like to try it too. Gum-tex is expensive here and since nobody is going to be eating it anyway, what the heck. I like the sounds of the way it hardens up and since hubby has dentures, haha, well it shouldn't go to waste! Anyone that tries this out, let me know in a Pm what you thought of it. I will pass on remarks to Sewsweet2, I think she would be interested.
Hugs Squirrelly

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 1:11am
post #6 of 16

Hmm interesting! I've heard of adding gum tex, gum trag. and tylose, but never Fixodent.

Do let us know when you try it what you think about it! icon_smile.gif

lilscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilscakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 1:14am
post #7 of 16

That is just great squirrelly! I can't wait to try it.....Pls. let us know how this works....I'm dying to know....

BTW....love your new avatar!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 1:34am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilscakes

That is just great squirrelly! I can't wait to try it.....Pls. let us know how this works....I'm dying to know....

BTW....love your new avatar!

That was Lisa who made the little guy for me, isn't he cute?
Haha well, you know my thinking is that is fixadent works, what other denture produce will work, hhmn!
Hugs Squirrelly

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 1:54am
post #9 of 16

I will have to pick some Fixodent up tomorrow while at Wal-mart, I have mmf already made. Sound very interesting.

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:03am
post #10 of 16

That I need to try, I have yet to get a good bow made they always seem to want to fall.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 6 Feb 2006 , 2:01pm
post #11 of 16

Thanks so much Squirrelly for always giving us helpful tips and advice.

Your avatar rocks thumbs_up.gif

MelC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MelC Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:04am
post #12 of 16

Turns out the main ingredient in Fixodent is Carboxymethylcellulose sodium, AKA TYLOSE!

Anyone know if Super Poligrip is the same? Nobody here carries Fixodent powder! (4 different pastes, but no powder!)

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:33am
post #13 of 16

I don't know if Polident will work, but it has to be the powdered version. I have used this several times and it does work. A few of my pics have "fixed MMF" - Tinks wings, the red robot's extremities, the sun's rays. I still use gumpaste too, but the fixodent will work in a "fix". SquirrellyCakes is something else!!

fosterchic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fosterchic Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:49am
post #14 of 16

This is a great idea. I didn't know how to get my marshmallow fondant to hold it's shape maybe the fixodent will do it. Thanks for the tip.

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 12:51am
post #15 of 16

I am way too young to be purchasing denture powder. Don't you have to be a certain age before they will sell you that stuff. Kinda like Alcohol icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.giftapedshut.gificon_biggrin.gif

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 19 Mar 2006 , 1:03am
post #16 of 16

When I brought the fixodent home, I left it sitting on the table. DH came home and saw it and asked if there was something I forgot to tell him. Silly man. Just remember this stuff really isn't meant for eating. Just like gumpaste, it's to make the hard decorations. It is food safe - you put the stuff in your mouth. Well, I don't, not yet at least! icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%