Cake Business Requirements In Ontario

Business By PurplePetunia Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 5:42am by SquirrellyCakes

PurplePetunia Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:26am
post #1 of 10

Do any of you Ontarians know what are the requirements for starting a cake business in Ontario?
I've searched the government websites to no avail and I've been calling the office for weeks - can't get through and they haven't returned my call.
I'm about to give up the whole idea.
I want to do it properly, but I don't know how!!

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:36am
post #2 of 10

Even though some provincial and federal guidelines apply, it is really the bylaws within your municipality that govern whether or not you can operate a buisness from the home, the zoning requirements, etc. So the city is who you want to deal with first, the city or municipality. Many of the laws were originally also federal, but are now governed by the province, but applied through your municipality. So you are contacting city hall, whatever numbers they show for businesses, zoning bylaws etc. They will be able to direct you to the departments. Health guidelines should also be through the municipality as the city health and food inspectors are the ones dealing with these issues.
Sorry I have not looked into it since a lot of areas amalgamated. Originally Consumer and Commercial Affairs at the provincial level had to also be contacted. Of course when you are operating, you will need to deal with GST and PST and need to also look into your insurance, if you are covered while making any building renovations, the type of coverage and where to get it for additional fire and liability protection. But your first stop is City Hall. You need to find out if your area is zoned to allow a business, if there are restrictions placed on such a business in regards to whether customer can pick up from your home or if you must deliver due to traffic concerns. What kind of renovations must be made and the inspection process and the plan approval, this is all city.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:57am
post #3 of 10

Thanks SquirrellyCakes!! icon_smile.gif

If I ever get through, I'll post the results!!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 4:02am
post #4 of 10

I know it is a pain in the butt, haha! A lady in a different municipality but close to me, took about 1 1/2 years to get the information and approval. Geesh!
Good luck!
Hugs Squirrelly

PurplePetunia Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:28am
post #5 of 10

Stop!! icon_surprised.gif
You're scaring me!! icon_cry.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:32am
post #6 of 10

Hugs Squirrelly

PurplePetunia Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 10:59pm
post #7 of 10

Well, guess what?!
It didn't take me a year and a half after all!!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
It only took me a WEEK and a half!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif
I got a call from the municipal office. The lady was extremely hasty and impolite, BUT, she said I don't need a special licence to operate once I am not selling to the public (i.e. a bake shop where anyone can just walk in and buy a cake) She said as long it was from my home to someone else's or my home to a business, it was okay. She also said I could double check with provincial and federal levels. However, in the process of trying to find out who I should deal with, I found out (and Squirrellycakes also recommended) that I should deal with my municipal office since every municipality has its own rules and regulations.
So, I'm just going to register my business and get a vendor's permit. (That way I can shop at all the wholesale warehouses.) icon_lol.gif

Thank you SquirrellyCakes for all your advice! Much appreciated!! (Except for the last part! icon_wink.gif )

SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 2:58am
post #8 of 10

Tracey 4, would you mind sharing which municipality you are in? That would be helpful for folks in your area. Also, did she tell you if you have advertising restrictions?
Sorry, the year and a half I meant for if you had to set up a separate kitchen according to bylaw considerations and apply for zoing permission etc.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:06am
post #9 of 10


SquirrellyCakes Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 5:42am
post #10 of 10

Hi Tracey4,
Toronto is usually pretty rigid about such things. If I were you, to be on the safe side, do not advertise. I know of a lady that was fined for dropping off advertising flyers for her business and she was in the Toronto area.
I have a feeling you got misinformation as I know of a couple of people who investigated and the response was quite different. There again it may well depend on the municipality you live in and perhaps it is not considered part of Toronto etc.
The licensing requirements were quite rigid. For example you have to live in an area that is zoned to be able to operate a business from your home. Then you have to have a completely separate enclosed dedicated kitchen, a separate bathroom, an entrance to the outside from the kitchen. A triple sink, washable flooring, a dedicated freezer and fridge and stove. Cooling racks and separate storage facilities. Board of health inspections, etc.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%