10X Powdered Sugar???

Decorating By TooCuteRose Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm by lapazlady

TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:27pm
post #1 of 22

what is it...where do i get it???
and Tylose...
trying to learn to make gumpaste...i really don't want to use Wilton's...

21 replies
lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 22

10x powdered sugar is what you buy at the grocery store. There are other "grades". 4x, 6x and of course, 10x. We use 10x for icing and such and it's the finest "grind" (sifted) available commercially. You can get Tylose from Wilton, but check at your local Michael's or other supplier of pastry items.

TooCuteRose Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:50pm
post #3 of 22

ok thank you...so i can get the 10x by at walmart then???

lapazlady Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #4 of 22

You sure can. Take a look around, they may even have the Tylose you need (although it isn't something that would be "regular" stuff, but you never know).

TooCuteRose Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:48am
post #5 of 22

i got to walmart...found what i was looking for...n forgot how much i needed...so i'll go back later this week...

dessertprincess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dessertprincess Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:23pm
post #6 of 22

the tylose would need to be purchased from a cake decorating supply store. i get mine thru sweet celebrations. but there are plenty of sites that sell it online. another thing u can use for gum paste is gum tex. and that is sold at michaels. or gum tragantha. and that too can be purchased thru sweet celebration or other websites online.

TooCuteRose Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #7 of 22

ty...

scrapmomof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scrapmomof3 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:57pm
post #8 of 22

I have a question about this...my local grocery store had their brand name 10x powdered sugar on sale, so I bought a few boxes just to stock up.

At my first Wilton class, my instructor said do not use such and such (the store where I bought it) powdered sugar and to use a different brand instead. When I looked at the ingredients of both, they were the same.

Why would it make a difference which one I use? The grocery store by the way is a large chaine store.

lapazlady Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:02pm
post #9 of 22

Powdered sugar is finely ground white sugar with corn starch added. I can't imagine one brand would be any different than another. There aren't that many places that process sugar, and the vast majority comes from the same factory. Use what you have and don't give it another thought.

TooCuteRose Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:03pm
post #10 of 22

i dunno...but i only use name brand...due to the fact that i was buying store name...until i found a pile of ants...it was gross...but neways...sry can't answer ur ? maybe someone else can...

jrrn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrrn74 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:07pm
post #11 of 22

I THINK IT IS PERSONNAL PREFERENCE, ALTHOUGH I DO NOT LIKE TO USE DOMINO POWDERED SUGAR thumbsdown.gif . I USE LOWES FOODS BRAND thumbs_up.gif , IT IS LESS EXPENSIVE, AND I NEVER HAVE ANY PROBLEMS WITH IT. EVERY TIME I TRY TO USE DOMINO POWDERED SUGAR IT SEEMS TO CLUMP UP BADLY AND I WILL END UP WITH VERY SMALL LUMPS IN MY ICING AND IT WILL NOT SPREAD AND SMOOTH AS NICELY. I DON'T KNOW IF MAYBE IT ISN'T SIFTED AS MUCH BEFORE IT IS PACKAGED OR WHAT. DOMINO ALSO SEEMS TO BE PACKED MORE TIGHTLY INTO THE PACKAGE SO THAT MIGHT HAVE SOMETHING TO DO WITH IT.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #12 of 22

Both cane sugar and beet sugar can be labelled just plain "sugar" and both can be used in powdered sugar.

Some people can taste the difference and also the two sugars behave slightly differently in some applications.

Generally cane sugar is preferable, and more expensive. Expect store brand to be beet sugar.

(PS-- jrrn-- When you post in all caps it means YOU'RE SHOUTING. And it's hard to read.)

Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 8:19pm
post #13 of 22

You can purchase Tylose from http://www.sugarcraft.com/
I think you will find what you are looking for.

MAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MAK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #14 of 22

Does anybody know?

Sam's Club sells a 10x powdered sugar under the Baker's & Chef's label. Does anybody know if it's pure cane sugar or not? I wrote to them a few months ago and haven't received a response....

Thanks...

cakelady52 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady52 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:00am
post #15 of 22

The brand those not matter, just make sure its pure cane suger.

MAK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:05am
post #16 of 22

Um..... I know the brand doesn't matter. There is no labelling on this particular brand and I was wondering whether somebody definitively knew about whether it was 100% cane sugar or a percent mix.....

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:06am
post #17 of 22

I only buy the Sam's powdered sugar in the 7 pound bags. It does not say pure cane sugar or beet sugar. It only says "hotel and restaurant quality." It works great for me and I never have lumps or problems with icing. I have been using this brand for over a year now.

I do not use Domino's because I also find lumps in my icing when I use it and it clogs my tips.

MAK Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:13am
post #18 of 22

Anything Sugar -- yes that is the one I'm buying too -- the 7 lb. bag. I have been using it for the last year or so....it seems okay. My thought was since it doesn't state 100% pure cane sugar that it's either got beet sugar in it or more cornstarch. My understanding is that all powdered sugar has some corn starch in it and the powdered sugar needs to be 99% pure cane in order to say 100%.

Tkeys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tkeys Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:14am
post #19 of 22

Different people have different theories about brand quality . . . my instructor told us only to buy domino or the store brand at safeway not giant (the two stores nearby). He went on and on about his experience with texture, etc. I've been using the giant brand for years because i usually shop there, and I happened to be in safeway and bought some of that and used it, and i didn't like the taste or texture - i think they use a slightly higher ratio of corn starch than what i'm used to, so i decided not to buy safeway brand anymore. So, i'd say "to each their own." there is no right or wrong brand, but if you are sensitive to taste, or notice some subtle differences in your icing texture or consistency, it could be because of the brand you have, so pay attention - you may find that you have better luck with one brand or another, or you may find it makes absolutely no difference to you!

AnythingSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnythingSugar Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:57am
post #20 of 22

Mak, I had never given this any thought. Now, I am very curious to know if this is pure cane sugar LOL

I wonder how we could find out.

jrrn74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrrn74 Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 10:02pm
post #21 of 22

MaisieBake, Sorry! I was just too lazy to hit the caps lock key. Not used to doing a lot of posting either! Thanks.

lapazlady Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #22 of 22

There is no difference between cane or beet sugar, as long it is white sugar, it is the same. Sift the powdered sugar, I know some packaging is much better than others, but lumps are really not good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%