Need To Vent Alittle!

Decorating By mykidsarekillingme Updated 14 Mar 2007 , 1:34am by Paintedlady201

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 53

Just came back from delivering a cake and I'm alittle peeved. The cake is posted in my photos(the sealife cake). I have been dealing with this customer for 3 months in terms of design and ideas. She found a picture online and wanted me to reproduce. She wanted 2 octopus on top for her twin boys. She had seen other octopus type cakes and felt they were too cartoony and wanted them to match the cake design which was more realistic. The day before she called just as I was finishing up the cake to ask what colors the octopus were going to be. I told her a pinkish brown. She asked if they could be blue. Being as the whole cake was blue I didn't think that would work well. She agreed and left it at that. When I walked ino the room with the cake, Her husbnd and friends all raved. But she had the distinct body language of someone who was not happy. Mind you this cake is for 1year old twins. She wanted the octopus to match er balloons(which she never stated!!!!!) and they were cartoony! She had me carve out a smiley face and nostrils using a straw(as I did not have my supplies with me) as her family and friends were telling her to leave it alone. I so wanted to give back the money and tell her no thank you. I had my daughter with me who helped bring in the cupcakes and other clients of mine so I did not want to start a scene. I still feel like giving the money back though. And I still have to check in with her tonight to see how everything else worked out. Thanks. I feel a little better now. And I know you can't make everyone happy.

52 replies
PattyLen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyLen Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:45pm
post #2 of 53

Your cake is absolutely beautiful. I wouldn't give her money back and I wouldn't do another cake for her.

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #3 of 53

I wouldn't give her the money back as you fulfilled your commitment. You spent time and resources on her order and completed to the best of your ability using the information you were given. It is not your fault if she did not communicate clearly with you. I do agree with PattyLen -- I would probably refuse to do another cake for her. It seems that she may be one of those people who always wants more no matter how much they are given.

cookingfor5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookingfor5 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:21pm
post #4 of 53

Don't give back the money! You're cake was gorgeous. Don't let her stress get to you.

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:29pm
post #5 of 53

I am not a big fan of "sea" cakes, but I absolutely LOVE yours! You should be proud of your work and DO NOT give her check back. You deserve every penny of what she gave you, if not more. Blow her off, I say! Don't let her pettiness get to you!

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #6 of 53

This is why contracts for custom cakes are so important. That way a deadline for changes can be established.

Your cake is great, just the way it is. You are absolutely right about needing a different color for the critters.

I would not give her any money back, and the next time she would order a cake, a deadline would definitely be established in writing.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

TooCuteRose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooCuteRose Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #7 of 53

Your cake rox...that woman is a looney...don't give her much thought...some ppl should be put on prozac...i swear...

tatetart Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tatetart Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:43pm
post #8 of 53

Are you KIDDING ME?????
Your cake is adorable. Do NOT give her money back!!!
In fact, you should charge her DOUBLE next time! icon_twisted.gif

angelas2babies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelas2babies Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 53

Absolutely NO REFUNDS for this cake. Maybe just avoid future orders from her. icon_smile.gif She sounds a bit controlling.

Your cake is fun, gorgeous, and perfect. All of your cakes are wonderful, actually!

Angie

Pootchi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pootchi Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 7:05pm
post #10 of 53

That cake is so amazing!!!!!!!!!!! Don't even think about giving her money back!!!!!

I wish I could do a cake like this.......

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:01pm
post #11 of 53

This is the kind of thing that drives me crazy.....some customers know exactly what they don't like but it will take them forever and a day to tell you what they do like and even then it's not 100%.

mykidsarekillingme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mykidsarekillingme Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 8:32pm
post #12 of 53

Just to add I did have a contract for her. She was very specific about what she wanted so I had everything in writing. That's why I was alittle peeved that she never informed me of the balloons, which I pointed oiut to her but it made no difference. And thank you so much for your comments. It makes the ordeal a little easier to swallow. Did I mention she also did all of this in front of my daughter?

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 53

A written contact holds up in the court of law, a verbal contract does not. Do not give her any money back!

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:12pm
post #14 of 53

ah...another one of the ME generation rears its ugly head.

not only no $$ back to her, but banishment to the "I'm already booked" list.

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:59pm
post #15 of 53

Use the money to get a "NO CAKE FOR YOU" t-shirt!

cakes21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes21 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:06pm
post #16 of 53

Heck No, don't give the money back. You worked long and hard on a cake that she wanted. The cake looks really good.

divaofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
divaofcakes Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:07pm
post #17 of 53

I agree!! Do not give the money back and refuse her business in the future. Some people just aren't easy to please.
Your cakes are gorgeous by the way!!

SueW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SueW Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:08pm
post #18 of 53

Your cake is beautiful!!! It sounds like she wouldn't have been happy no matter what you walked in with. It is sad but some people are just like that, nothing makes them happy.

Keep your well deserved money icon_biggrin.gif

kbrown99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbrown99 Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:16pm
post #19 of 53

I wish I could do a cake that awesome. Definitely no refund. Keep up the beautiful work.

okieinalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
okieinalaska Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:19am
post #20 of 53

Keep the money, don't bother to call to follow up and next time she tries to order a cake you are busy! : )

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:27am
post #21 of 53

Your cake is FANTASTIC! She should have tipped you EXTRA! What a weirdo. I agree...no more cake for her! Glad you didn't give her any money back!

casebit Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
casebit Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:31am
post #22 of 53

You did an awesome job on this cake!! There is no way I would give the money back if I were you. And definitely don't do anymore cakes for her if she's that difficult to please. I think your cake was just right the way you did it!

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:36am
post #23 of 53

the cake is outstanding...not only would i not give her a refund if she pushed the issue i might charge a little more for having to add the other features in front of all her guest....what nerve!

did i mention "i'm booked" the next time she needs a cake.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:40am
post #24 of 53

sheesh what did she want two blue bags of snot with legs sitten on the top of the cake
those poor boys would have needed therapy if she had gotten her way omg sheesh.

JamesSweetie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamesSweetie Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:43am
post #25 of 53

I just told dh about this and how you were considering giving back the money because of this woman, and then showed him the cake....his jaw dropped and, his words, "HELL NO! She should charge her MORE!!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif (And you know men will give you brutal honestly, there you have it!) icon_wink.gif

Adven, now I so want a "NO CAKE FOR YOU!" shirt icon_biggrin.gif

countrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
countrycakes Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 3:20am
post #26 of 53

icon_biggrin.gif So..............does this qualify her as a 'customerzilla?!' Sorry, I just could not resist......your cake is great! She should now be placed on your do not call me for cake list! icon_twisted.gif Keep up YOUR GOOD WORK! icon_smile.gif

ValMommytoDanny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ValMommytoDanny Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:35am
post #27 of 53

I agree - No Cake for Her!!

Your cake is awesome and it was indecent for her to ask you to alter at time of delivery in front of guests and your daughter. If I didn't care about future sales I would have to give her a comment regarding it.

Poor kids, one year old and their mom is already out of control.... lol

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #28 of 53

cute cake, weird mum.
I just have a question. I have noticed a lot of people on here saying that when they have had a difficult customer they dont want to take the money that they deserve. Can someone explain this to me??

SweetConfectionsChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetConfectionsChef Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:26pm
post #29 of 53

I agree with everyone else! Do not give her the money back. And she made an ass out of herself...not of you...so don't be upset. Don't u think everyone else there realized how unreasonable and ridiculous she was being?? The cake is fabulous! This nut would definately go on my "I'm booked" list or "sure I can do the cake...for $2000" list. thumbs_up.gif

candyladyhelen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candyladyhelen Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 7:40pm
post #30 of 53

The first thing I thought of was that I want to slap you silly! That cake is drop dead gorgeous!
And I want to shoot you cause your writing is perfect!!!!! Question: do you always check w/your customers after the event? I never do.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%