Has Anyone Made A Jumbo-Sized Nfsc?

Baking By Tscookies Updated 11 Mar 2007 , 2:54pm by Tscookies

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 9

I'm wondering what's the biggest size cookie people have used with the NFSC (or similar) recipe. I've gotten inquiries to do a large sugar cookie, but I always turn then down because I haven't experimented - I'm afraid that the edges would brown first and the middle would be underbaked. I wouldn't be comfortable selling something like that.

Has anyone tried this? Would you be willing to share what you've learned ... any tips/suggestions? Thank you, Melissa

8 replies
MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 9

My biggest was a foot long by 6 inches, a giant Master Shake cookie for a friend's "Thank You" present. I've learned that on big cookies, they are extremely fragile!! The straw on the shake cup popped off! I usually let them sit in the oven to brown them a little more than usual to make sure everything is completely cooked. Also, with icing on top, they can become quite heavy so make sure you have some sort of cardboard support on the back.

Other than that, it's basically a regular cookie only in giant proportion.

And it uses a LOT more dough.

Hope this helps!

-Jasmine

flourgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flourgrl Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:38pm
post #3 of 9

good question....I was thinking about making one myself, about 14" long for a giant guitar to go along side an amp made from cake.
I was nervous of it breaking as well

ChefStef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 10:53pm
post #4 of 9

I have made a large size cookie with the nfsc recipe. I found that you need to reduce your oven temperature, but bake for a longer time. Up to 25 mins for super large cookies. Hope that helps!!

MystiqueFire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MystiqueFire Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:26am
post #5 of 9

ChefStef, would you reduce the oven time even if it is on convection?

-J

Candy120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Candy120 Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 4:26am
post #6 of 9

When I make a giant cookie I use my Pampered Chef round stone. It has an even temperature on all parts of the cookie, that way the middle gets done at the same rate as the edge. Then I take dental floss and run it underneath to loosen it, then slide it onto a board. Very fragile, I agree.

ChefStef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChefStef Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 9

Absolutely reduce the temp, even if using convection! Good Luck!

krissy_kze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krissy_kze Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 1:06pm
post #8 of 9

I think I did a 10 inch one and it was easy and held up well! Go for it! I'd rather do that size than a zillion little ones.

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_52567.html

Tscookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tscookies Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 2:54pm
post #9 of 9

Thank you EVERYONE for all of the great advice. I don't know when I'll test this out - but when I do, I'll let you know what happens. I'm especially interested in trying one on a pampered chef stone ... I've read that many CC'ers love to use those. With such a large cookie, that might be the trick to making sure a large cookie bakes evenly.

ChefStef ... love your name!!! Lucky you to be able to rhyme so cleverly.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%