Help! I Hate My Chocolate Cake!

Baking By izzybee Updated 4 Feb 2006 , 3:38pm by bubblezmom

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 12:26am
post #1 of 6

I am looking for a great doctored chocolate cake from a mix. I have been using sour cream instead of oil, and mixing espresso powder with the water, and there is a horrible chemical aftertaste. icon_razz.gif Can anyone suggest a good recipe that I can use? I make and sell cakes from home and use everything from buttercream to fondant so I need a pretty firm cake, not soft and fluffy. Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

5 replies
Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 12:31am
post #2 of 6

Istart with DH or BC Dark Chocolate, or Chocolate Fudge (any of the darker recipes) add an extra egg( equaling 4 eggs), 1/2 C butter, buttermilk instead of the water listed on the box and a chocolate fudge pudding mix. If you want it even chocolatier you can add a half a bag of mini chocoalte chips. Everyone loves this cake and it is a little denser than if you use oil and water, not quite as fluffy, works great for decorating.

izzybee Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 12:34am
post #3 of 6

do you melt the butter?

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 12:36am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybee

do you melt the butter?

No, but I either use room temp butter or soften it in the microwave before adding it.

Oh and I usually use a flower nail in the middle of the pan to get it to cook evenly and cook at 25 degrees lower than what the box says to. Might take a little longer to cook, but comes out much more evenly done.

izzybee Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 1:04am
post #5 of 6

thanks so much!

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 4 Feb 2006 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

Have you tried different brands? One store brand here has very little chemical taste to it. The chocolate flavor is a little weak, but adding the box of pudding helps it. Using buttermilk sounds like one way to increase the flavor of a weak cakemix.

These are old bundt recipes. Some people think the cakemix doctor chic invented adding pudding to a cakemix. icon_rolleyes.gif Happy baking!

Choc cake mix
inst choc pudding
1 cup sour cream
1/2c warm water
1/3c veg oil
4eggs
1 1/2c choc chips

bake @ 325 for 55-60min

choc cake mix
inst choc pudding
1c water
1/3c softened butter