New To Cake Decorating...

Baking By DianaCarolina Updated 5 Feb 2006 , 7:38pm by ladyonzlake

DianaCarolina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianaCarolina Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 3

I'm a newbie to cake decorating and I need help. My DDs birthday is coming up and her theme is "princess". I've seen some recipes on the site, but do I use regular sugar or confectioner's sugar? Some recipes only say white sugar!!! Would it be better to use a buttercream or a whipped cream frosting? Help!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

2 replies
Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 10:33pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by DianaCarolina

I'm a newbie to cake decorating and I need help. My DDs birthday is coming up and her theme is "princess". I've seen some recipes on the site, but do I use regular sugar or confectioner's sugar? Some recipes only say white sugar!!! Would it be better to use a buttercream or a whipped cream frosting? Help!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

If it says white sugar, it means White sugar like you would sweeten tea etc. with. Confectioner's sugar is known by many names, but if you notice, is almost always available in 2# plastic bags. That's what you'd use for Icings.

My Opinion is that a "whipped cream" icing is nasty, and doesn't belong on cakes at all. BUT, that's a personal preference. Whipped cream is great on pies though. I'd use some form of butter cream, if I were you.

ladyonzlake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladyonzlake Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 7:38pm
post #3 of 3

Try the Extra Special Buttercream frosting that is on the Wilton web site. It's light, not too sweet and delicious!! It does need refrigeration though. For chocolate or white chocolate flavor I add 4 oz of melted semi sweet chocolate or the white chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%