Does Anyone Use Silicone Bakeware?

Decorating By MindiBrad Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 6:43am by missyb

MindiBrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MindiBrad Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:52pm
post #1 of 8

I was just wondering if any of you had started using this stuff......I thought it was just a fad, but I was watching an old episode of Passion for Desserts by Jacques on the Food Network and he was using the silicone (he wasn't advertising it or "talkiing it up"...just using it). I guess it makes sense...it seems to be made of the same thing that Silpat sheets are made of....and I LOVE my Silpat sheets!

So I just wondered if you were using them and if so....what brand.

Thanks!

7 replies
sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 6:23pm
post #2 of 8

My husband recently bought me two nine inch round silicone pans. I am not sure what the name brand is of them. He bought them at the cake supply store the last time I sent him there. I have used them once since I have had them. They worked well that time, even though I had my doubts at first because they seem so flimsy. I will have to use them again to see how they do after the first time.

kittysparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kittysparkle Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 8

I love the few things I've bought my favorite is the silipat for my cookies I made cookies everyday for a week just to use it. I also have a bunt pan shaped like a rose that I picked up at wal-mart and the cakes are so pretty and no oil ,cooking spray,or butter and it just slipped on out. listen to me I sound like an info-mercile

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 8

Have never dared to buy one. Thought it looked a bit scary. But it might be a real good thing.

JessicaM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaM Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:36am
post #5 of 8

It seems they would be a bit flimsy to put the cake in & out of the oven. What do those of you that have them think? Have you had any problems? I am just picturing myself putting the cake into the oven and spilling it all over the oven door when the weight of the batter buckles the pan!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

I have 2 silicone 9" rounds and they are awesome! Cakes don't stick at all, and they always bake evenly icon_smile.gif I honestly wish they sold them in all different sizes (that weren't so expensive). I was nevervous to use them at first too...but I haven't had any problems...have had them for a year. Another plus is the storage, they just fold and you can tuck them away!
If you are concerned about spilling batter, etc, just put them on cookie sheets!

cupcakequeen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakequeen Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 4:49am
post #7 of 8

ps....mine are not brand name ones and I paid only $7 each for them. I'm from Canada, so if you are from up here, they sell 8" squares (I think), 9" circles, jumbo and mini cupcake ones and the rose shaped bundt, angel cake bundt...at Superstore. icon_smile.gif

missyb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyb Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 6:43am
post #8 of 8

my mom got me some for christmas, i am not sure what brand they are, but they work pretty nicely. the 8inch rounds are pretty stable, but i found that the larger ones are flimsy and require either a cookiesheet underneath or mine came with a metal holder thing that holds the pans shape. I was worried about things not browning evenly, but so far so good. And I love the bundt pan. Its the first time ive been able to flip one out without crossing my fingers that it wouldnt stick. They say you dont need any spray, but i am to chicken and have used spray just in case. icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%