Problems Coloring Chocolate/candy Melts....

Sugar Work By CakeDiva73 Updated 21 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm by TexasSugar

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:36pm
post #1 of 12

Well, I tried the oreo molds last night and they were so awesome...the only problem was when I tried to darken my light pink Wilton candy melts for the flowers...I used powdered color and it came out weird....didn't really color it and made it a bit grainy. What did I do wrong? I know you can't use gel or paste to color chocolates so I used the powder but it didn't work and when I tried to use the powder in icing once, it didn't work either so I am wondering why I bought it? icon_lol.gif

11 replies
cqcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cqcakes Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:45pm
post #2 of 12

You need to use candy colors. They are an oil based color. I didn't find this out until just recently and now the colors really come out great! You can get them at the same place you buy your cake colors.

JoanneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoanneK Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:49pm
post #3 of 12

Americolors makes a product that allows you to use the regular colors you use for icing. You just put a few drops of this stuff in with the color and it does not destroy the chocolate.

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 12

Really?? That really frosts my tush.....they sold me this box saying this was what you used for candy... so what is the powdered colors used for? Diluting with Vodka (after I drink some icon_biggrin.gif ) to make paint for fondant? I have a box of 8 colors and I HATE to waste!! ~ lol.... they sell a bag of multi-colored melts so I could just grab the colors I need and melt them ( I use primarily for accents, etc ) but they are always out of it.

Thanks for setting me straight ~ icon_smile.gif

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

makes a product that allows you to use the regular colors you use for icing. You just put a few drops of this stuff in with the color and it does not destroy the chocolate.

I have at least 8-10 bottles of Americolor.....do you think it would say 'Good for chocolate, etc...' ?

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 8:53pm
post #6 of 12

you can use the powder but you want to mix it into a small amount of chocolate first to make sure all color is dissolved and then add that to the larger batch. Also, I believe the colors are primarily for "real" chocolate, they are meant to be mixed in with a little cocoa butter and then added to the chocolate, or for candy (meaning old school hard sugar candy).

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:12pm
post #7 of 12

I use powdered color for both chocolate and sugar (pulled sugar.) When I use them with chocolate, I just sprinkle it in, I don't mix it with anything first. It works great (doesn't come out grainy, the color blends evenly,) so I'm not sure why yours isn't working?

I guess I can see why it wouldn't work with frosting; I would think that (unless you mixed it with your liquid first) there wouldn't be enough moisture to dissolve the powder, and it would come out looking grainy.

I don't see why it wouldn't work with candy melts, either. Like I mentioned, I've used powder with sugar, so I don't think that it would have anything to do with the oil content.

What company is it made by?

CakeDiva73 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:15pm
post #8 of 12

It's made by CK (country kitchen).....I am bummed. When I looked the other day at the 'chocolate' colors - or candy colors, they were powdered just like mine icon_confused.gif

mpaigew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mpaigew Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 9:29pm
post #9 of 12

I would go to ckproducts.com and ask them. I see the set that you purchased, and it does say specifically that it is meant for candy and chocolate. I also found that it is only "good" for a year, so maybe it's old and not dissolving properly?

JessicaN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JessicaN Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 5:58am
post #10 of 12

I too have had trouble coloring the chocolate melts :/ I use two brands of gel colors that I use with my fondant & it turned the chocolate into paste icon_sad.gif guess ill be stopping by the store tomorrow!

mena2002 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mena2002 Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 6:17am
post #11 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaN

I too have had trouble coloring the chocolate melts :/ I use two brands of gel colors that I use with my fondant & it turned the chocolate into paste icon_sad.gif guess ill be stopping by the store tomorrow!

You can check the labels of your colors, if it's water-based then it's not good for coloring chocolate, the water will make the chocolate seize up.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 21 Jun 2011 , 3:42pm
post #12 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoanneK

makes a product that allows you to use the regular colors you use for icing. You just put a few drops of this stuff in with the color and it does not destroy the chocolate.

I have at least 8-10 bottles of Americolor.....do you think it would say 'Good for chocolate, etc...' ?

Flo Coat is the product that Americolor makes that you can add to chocolate when using your regular colors. I've used it, but I also went ahead and bought some americolor candy colors in colors I really liked, because I found I had to add alot of Flo Coat to get the darker colors.

Americolor Candy oils say on the label they are candy oils. If you have Americolor colors and it doesn't say candy oils then it is just the regular colors, which are water based not oil based.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%