Cool Whip Question

Decorating By kitty_kat Updated 2 Feb 2006 , 8:52pm by lalalady

kitty_kat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty_kat Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:25am
post #1 of 13

What is cool whip? I've seen it as an ingredient for a lot of the fillings. As I'm from Australia we don't have it. Is it just normal whipped cream? From a container or from a pump pressurised can?
Please let me know icon_redface.gif

12 replies
tye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tye Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:28am
post #2 of 13

cool whip is a brand name for whip cream... its not from a container but from a tub..

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:31am
post #3 of 13

it's a brand name for "non-dairy whipped topping"

a totally fake frozen product that seems to taste like whipped cream and comes in reg, extra creamy, light and no fat versions.

in our supermarkets it's in found in the one of the freezer cases, usually near the frozen pie crusts.

"Dream Whip" is its "kissin' cousin".... a dry powder found in the baking aisle. You have to actually add milk to it and whip it. But why do that? -- Be lazy and just go w/ the Cool Whip.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:38am
post #4 of 13

and the real McCoy is WAAAAAY BETTER! lol

kitty_kat Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 1:38am
post #5 of 13

so its just basically whipped cream in a tub then?

Marcia79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marcia79 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 2:22am
post #6 of 13

Can cakes filled with Cool Whip be left at room temperature?? If so, for how long??

Thanks...icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 2:59am
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_kat

so its just basically whipped cream in a tub then?

absolutely NOT....it's a food chemist's concoction!

here's a link to Krafts info page....

http://www.kraftfoods.com/main.aspx?s=product&m=product/Product_display&Site=1&Product=4300000953

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:13am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcia79

Can cakes filled with Cool Whip be left at room temperature?? If so, for how long??

Thanks...icon_biggrin.gif

I always store them in the refridgerator.

kitty_kat Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:57pm
post #9 of 13

Still confused as to what exactly it is then? I'm worried there's no equivalent in Australia. icon_eek.gif I'll take the product info to my mum and see what she thinks it could be...and then I suppose all I can do is give it a go. It's only the filling after all.
Thanks for your help tho!! icon_smile.gif At least its a little clearer!

Doug Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 13

Do your stores sell "Dream Whip"???

if so that's the dry version of Cool Whip. Cool Whip is the made for you version that has to be frozen so it won't spoil while being shipped or stored,.

niki97062 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niki97062 Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 2:08pm
post #11 of 13

Perhaps you could show us your recipe and we could see if you could substitute the real thing.

It is nothing even close to real cream. It's the difference between high quality butter and crisco shortening or margarine. The shortening doesn't even begin to compare to real butter.

loriemoms Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loriemoms Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 3:01pm
post #12 of 13

I looked at this link

http://www.kraft.com.au/home/index.cfm

and it looks like Coolwhip may not be available in Australia!

Cool whip is NOTHING like the real thing...it is all chemicals! It holds up better then whipped cream because of the chemicals, which makes it popular for recipes..

I wonder if there is is something similar to that in your country? Can you get dream whip?

lalalady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lalalady Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 8:52pm
post #13 of 13

icon_biggrin.gif Hello, I live in England and this sounds very much like a product called Dream Topping, a powdered product. You add milk and whisk it up. It is likened to a synthetic whipped cream. Don't know if this is available in Australia but good luck.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%