Freezing Sugar Cookie Dough

Baking By 3inafternoon Updated 3 Feb 2006 , 2:13am by bikegal

3inafternoon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3inafternoon Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 6:26pm
post #1 of 8

I am new here and want to thank everyone for the input and praise you for your creative skills !!!!
I am looking to freeze my sugar cookie dough. I use a sugar cookie dough that has butter and butter Crisco. Will the water content in the butter effect freezing the dough?
How long will it last in the freezer and what is the thaw method?
Thanks!!!

7 replies
acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 8:12pm
post #2 of 8

I freeze my dough up to 2 months. Make sure you wrap it well in saran wrap and then a freezer bag. I also use my vacuum sealer for this. I have not ever noticed a difference in the dough form before to after. I like the almost frozen dough better for bouquets in fact.

Also, you can thaw overnight in the frifge or for an hour or so on the counter.

Thanks,

Julia

bikegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bikegal Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 12:58am
post #3 of 8

I roll out my cookie dough out then freeze them in sheets. All I have to do is pop them out let them thaw for a bit before cutting out shapes.

bikegal

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 1:00am
post #4 of 8

Bikegal! That is so darn smart!!!! I'm impressed!

bikegal Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 1:42am
post #5 of 8

Phoov, you know it! I spend nights just dreaming up ways to impress the gals on this cake site. *laff* Just teasing! It was a tip from one of my cookie books but it's a great idea if you have the freezer space. Decorated cookies are so labor intesive it just makes it easier on me.

bikegal

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 4:45am
post #6 of 8

bikegal that is a great trick. i have used that before, but I found one thing cumbersome...perhaps you have a trick for that as well.. icon_lol.gif .. How to you wrap it so that it does nto get freezer burn?. I wrapped mine in saran wrap, but then what if I wrap 3 sheets together and I only want one? I did that for a really big project, when I made the dough one week , the the cookeis the next. But I thought it would be great to do always..really increase turnaround time.

Thanks for any ideas...Julia

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 7:03am
post #7 of 8

If I have to resort to freezing my dough for an extended period. I roll it out between wax paper and I chill it a bit. Once it's firm enough to handle I wrap in cling wrap then Glad Press N' Seal and I squeeze as much air out as possible. Then I place it in a freezer bag just to be safe. I let it thaw just enough to cut out the shapes but not fully thawed.

bikegal Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 2:13am
post #8 of 8

acookieobsession, I usually place my dough sheets on an old cookie sheet that I no longer use for baking. Just so they stay nice and flat. I put the whole thing into a huge storage ziploc bag. I think the longest I've had cookie dough in the freezer is a month. Have not had any problems with freezer burn. I'm lucky that I have a deep freezer for meats, kitchen fridge for frozen veggies etc. and an extra fridge in the garage solely for cakes, cookie dough etc. icon_smile.gif Hope that helps!

bikegal

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%