Horizontal Pleating On A Cake?

Decorating By Vreeke Updated 21 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm by bobwonderbuns

Vreeke Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #1 of 22

Hi Cakers,
I have a bride who saw a picture of three tiered cake that had horizontal pleating around each tier. I'm not sure if it was fondant or buttercream.
If anyone has seen a cake like this I could look at, that would be great.
If I piped buttercream, I can envision it. But, if I use fondant I'm not sure how I would do it.
Any thoughts or pictures would be appreciated.
Thanks again,
Lori V.

21 replies
lilthorner Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #2 of 22

kerry vincent has some pleating in her cake book. I have also seen one from Rhonda (i dont know her name on cc oh geez)

and here is one in the gallery
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=pleat&cat=0&pos=15&search=pleat

Tug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:59am
post #3 of 22

Oh my lilthorner. That is a gorgeous cake!

KelCake Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:06am
post #4 of 22

There is a Kerry Vincent pleated cake on the front of American Cake this month, the February/March issue. There are directions inside as well.

Vreeke Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:17am
post #5 of 22

Are Kerry's cakes pleated vertically or horizontally?
I am looking for horizontally.
Lori V.

KelCake Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:20am
post #6 of 22

Sorry. The cake by Kerry Vincent does have vertical pleats.

Doug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:23am
post #7 of 22

is she sure it's true pleats and not just overlapping strips? (without pic to reference hard to advise)

Vreeke Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:33am
post #8 of 22

I think its probably overlapping stripes.
This would be a cake for 180 people so the tiers would be about 6-9-12-16
Lori V.

ShirleyW Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:42am
post #9 of 22

Lori I have done overlapping strips as well as pleats, but the pleats were stenciled. Both are fondant. The funny thing is on the overlapping strips the sizes were just about what you posted, notice now there are only three cakes? I was centering the 12" and it slipped out of my hands, I made a grab for it and took out the whole side and it hit the bottom cake on the way down. Lucky for me it was a gift cake. We kept the not so pretty one in the kitchen for extra servings. icon_cry.gif

Here is one of the overlapping strips
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=110

And the pleats
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=ShirleyW&cat=0&pos=137

Vreeke Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #10 of 22

Shirley,
Great cakes!
But remember, I am looking for HORIZONTAL stripes
Lori V.

katerpillrgrl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:58am
post #11 of 22

Not to get off topic here, but I was trying to do a search on a cake with horizontal stripes and I found this

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000MYBMME/?tag=cakecentral-20

Can you believe it? $125 for a cake that serves 12 to 15. I wonder how many of these they sell....

katerpillrgrl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:07am
post #12 of 22

how about this one?

eneq Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #13 of 22

i did a cake with overlapping horizontal strips for my sisters wedding that sounds similar to what you are looking for. it had 4 layers (6,8,10,12) and had orchids on it. i will post pic when i find it. can't seem to locate it right now.

mug Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:15am
post #14 of 22

Here's a link to a cake I have saved as one of my "favorites"...haven't had a chance to make it myself. It's by "cakesbyallison".

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=cakesbyallison&cat=0&pos=36

eneq Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:28am
post #15 of 22

ah there....it looked like the one done by cakesbyallison except it was light green and white, and the cakes were taller (3, 2-inch layers for each cake). i didn't know what i was doing, it being the first and only wedding cake i did.

CINDY1956 Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:31am
post #16 of 22

Do think the Pink Cake Box picture (wedding cake) the fondant is pleated or just strips to look like pleats ?icon_redface.gif ..It's really neat..

beany Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:36am
post #17 of 22

There is a cake called "simply pretty in pink" in a book by K Vincent.
Yes- they are HORIZONTAL stripes.
Page 116 of Romantic Wedding Cakes. My scanner is not working at the moment otherwise I could show you a picture. It's a gorgeous cake.

ShirleyW Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:42am
post #18 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vreeke

Shirley,
Great cakes!
But remember, I am looking for HORIZONTAL stripes
Lori V.

DUH, missed that part altogether!

lilthorner Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 5:10am
post #19 of 22

and u know I was reading so fast.. I do apologize I sent vertical

Vreeke Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 4:13am
post #21 of 22

Yes, that is the cake they were originally interested in. But, I talked them into a cake similar to Kerry Vincents.
Thanks everyone for your input,
Lori V.

bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Mar 2011 , 1:58pm
post #22 of 22

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have updated links to the stuff on the first page? None of those links is working any longer. icon_cry.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%