Can I Use An Edible Image On An Unfrosted Brownie?

Decorating By CathyMo Updated 12 Mar 2007 , 8:30pm by qtcakes

CathyMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathyMo Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:30pm
post #1 of 7

My friend's son does not like cake. Last year he wanted a bagel for his birthday. This year (age 6) I told her I would make a great big brownie, because he likes brownies. However, he likes very plain brownies - no gourmet stuff, right out of the Betty Crocker mix box, no chocolate chips, and NO FROSTING. His mom is getting an edible image made that fits the party theme.

Can I just plop the edible image on the plain, plain brownie? Or do I need something for the image to cozy into? I read the basics on the edible images and I don't know if it's the rice paper or the frosting sheet - would that make a difference?

6 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 7

welcome to cake central. I believe the image needs something to cling to or melt into. you could probably get away with a very thin coating of icing.

lcottington Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lcottington Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 7

I would use piping gel under the image -- it would be nondescript and unseen....

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 11:40pm
post #4 of 7

i agree with the piping gel, but you have to remember the dark brown color of the brownie will make the photo darker.

cryssi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cryssi Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 12:23am
post #5 of 7

I think that rice paper stays opaque, while a frosting image "melts" into the icing. For a brownie, I would put a thin layer of white icing underneath the image...

CathyMo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CathyMo Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 3:57pm
post #6 of 7

I'm still not sure what type of image it was. My friend got it from Safeway. I was able to trim a bit of the white edge off and tested it with some piping gel to see if it looked any darker, and after five minutes it still looked pretty good so I went with the gel for the whole image. I just added a white border around the edge of the image and a border around the edge of the brownie. It worked great and never did make the picture look darker. By the time we served the brownie about two hours later, it was very easy to cut and looked great. The birthday boy was thrilled! And my daughter said she might want that for her next birthday.

Thanks for your advice!

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 12 Mar 2007 , 8:30pm
post #7 of 7

cathymo,
im glad the piping gel worked out on the brownie and didnt darken the photo. i will have to remember this.

now a brownie sounds good doesnt it... icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%