Satin Ice Fondant

Decorating By pastrymom Updated 8 Apr 2005 , 9:34pm by GHOST_USER_NAME

pastrymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrymom Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 21

Has anyone used Satin Ice? How do you like it? I've been using the mmf recipe from the Wilton site and I want to try something else. I like the mmf, but I just can't get it plyable enough. I've watched how much sugar I've used each time, but I'm just not happy. I live in Southern California. Does anyone know if they sell Satin Ice here?

20 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 21

Here is a website that sells satin ice. I only have a couple of places that sell cake decorations here and they don't sell this. I have not yet tried it. LOL I think I need to master buttercream first.. good luck! oh by the way I am in Texas.

http://www.satinfinefoods.com

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 11:05pm
post #3 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

Here is a website that sells satin ice. I only have a couple of places that sell cake decorations here and they don't sell this. I have not yet tried it. LOL I think I need to master buttercream first.. good luck! oh by the way I am in Texas.

Unless your a business your not going to be able to get anything but samples from them.. Here is a company I use to get the stuff and they are a great company to work with... http://www.lafountainsupply.com/bakeware.htm

Just type in Satin Ice or Pettinice they are both great.. WERE are you at in S Ca???

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 11:06pm
post #4 of 21

Satin Ice and Petinnice are both wonderful brands of fondant! They are easier to work with than MMF, they are "silkier" (is that even a word??) but cost a lot more!

pastrymom Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 21

Thanks for the help. I am in Fontana. I was looking for something different than Wilton and I heard this brand was good. I actually found a couple places near by that do sell Satin Ice and many other brands that I think I will give a try. I'm a beginner with fondant, but I just love working with it. That marshmallow fondant is just too finiky.
Thanks,
Melinda

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 21

Finally! A couple of people that actually like working with Pettinice and Satin Ice and admit it!!! And someone else who doesn't like the MM fondant--I though I was the only one!

Pettinice is great and I use it on the few cakes and many, many cookies I do. It's a first-rate product.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 12:02am
post #7 of 21

Where the heck have you been Cookieman...haven't seen you around here much!! LOL!

Ladycake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 12:37am
post #8 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookieman

Finally! A couple of people that actually like working with Pettinice and Satin Ice and admit it!!! And someone else who doesn't like the MM fondant--I though I was the only one!

Pettinice is great and I use it on the few cakes and many, many cookies I do. It's a first-rate product.

I love the stuff and I will admit it and I will admit when there is something I dont like too... LOL ..

Ladycake Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 12:38am
post #9 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by pastrymom

Thanks for the help. I am in Fontana. I was looking for something different than Wilton and I heard this brand was good. I actually found a couple places near by that do sell Satin Ice and many other brands that I think I will give a try. I'm a beginner with fondant, but I just love working with it. That marshmallow fondant is just too finiky.
Thanks,
Melinda

Ah got ya ... MY DH is down there in your town right now doing work has been there for 2 weeks and looking like another next week so I know where your at.... I dont know of any thing in that area to tell you to go to for the product I would say mostly your going to do the best if you order it on line.... But I could be wrong...

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 2:46am
post #10 of 21

Looking for a full-time job, MrsMissey! This baking business is for the birds!

Just kidding (about it being for the birds). But I am itching to get back to a full-time job. The baking is great and I do it part-time and when I please. I love it like that. When I did it full-time in 2004 I wound up hating it. Long story short: I've been scouring the job sites and keeping away from the cake sites (well, visiting them a lot less) until I find a job.

Thanks for missing me!

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:52am
post #11 of 21

What about Virgin Ice??? Is that similar?? icon_confused.gif

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 9:28pm
post #12 of 21
Quote:

Thanks,
Melinda

Hey!! You are very close to me (I'm in Lucerne Valley near Victorville) and not far from ladycakes!! I have a bunch of satin ice in my cabinet.

We'll have to get together and play cakes! Are you going to try to come to the DOS?

Ladycake Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 12:34am
post #13 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

Quote:

Thanks,
Melinda

Hey!! You are very close to me (I'm in Lucerne Valley near Victorville) and not far from ladycakes!! I have a bunch of satin ice in my cabinet.

We'll have to get together and play cakes! Are you going to try to come to the DOS?

There ya go she is close enough she should come to our Retreat were doing .... I want to say she is about 3 hours also Dawn from BKF...

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 3:33am
post #14 of 21

That's what I was thinking- but only an hour or so from me.... very cool!!

pastrymom Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:42pm
post #15 of 21

I'm new to all of this. What is the DOS? Is it a cake retreat? I will look on ladycakes website. I'm a stay-at-home mom and am always looking for new friends and help with the cakes. I'm having a lot of fun with this website. You do get addicted. icon_razz.gif

thecakemaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaker Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:52pm
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladycake

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansbaker

Unless your a business your not going to be able to get anything but samples from them.. Here is a company I use to get the stuff and they are a great company to work with... http://www.lafountainsupply.com/bakeware.htm

Just type in Satin Ice or Pettinice they are both great.. WERE are you at in S Ca???

I get my Satin Ice directly from satinfinefoods and i'm not a business. They never asked for proof of anything when I ordered ~ they just sent it out. They were very nice to work with and so is the Satin Ice. You don't use nearly as much as the Wilton and it tastes soooooo much better!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 6:54pm
post #17 of 21

They are a really great company. You can also email them and they will send you a list of supplies in you area. Sometimes there are bakeries in your area tha you can get it from that you may not be aware of.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 7:26pm
post #18 of 21
Quote:

I'm new to all of this. What is the DOS? Is it a cake retreat? I will look on ladycakes website. I'm a stay-at-home mom and am always looking for new friends and help with the cakes. I'm having a lot of fun with this website. You do get addicted. icon_razz.gif

DOS- Day of Sharing, yes sometimes it is a cake retreat.
Welcome to the site. I think it's addicting because people are soo friendly here.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 7:56pm
post #19 of 21

Yes, we are having a retreat rather than a conventional DOS. Here is the info:

http://www.ladycakes.com/bakersfield_2005.htm

Info on other years:

http://www.ladycakes.com/lc_cake_retreat.htm

pastrymom Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 8:02pm
post #20 of 21

I just looked at your website. Wow! I can't wait. I've never been to something like that before and it sounds like a lot of fun. I will try to save up so I can go.
Thanks thumbs_up.gif
Melinda

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 8 Apr 2005 , 9:34pm
post #21 of 21

It's a blast. We keep the attendance low so you get really good attention from the instructors. No matter how new you are, you will learn an advanced skill!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%