How To Cut Wooden Dowel Rods?

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 9 Apr 2005 , 12:41pm by Godiva

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 7:44pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone used wooden dowel rods? If so how do I cut them down to place underneath a stacked cake?

11 replies
p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 7:50pm
post #2 of 12

you saw them with a steak knife and tehn you just snap them I think, but I've always just used bolt cutters because it's a thousand times easier and faster, although I don't recomend you try it.

aobodessa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aobodessa Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 7:57pm
post #3 of 12

I have done it a couple of ways. First, I take a thin bamboo skewer, flat end down, and insert it into the cake at all of the spots I want a dowel. This way I can make sure I have a level cake to work with. Cut this off at the mark (a pair of rose clippers can work for this).

To cut the dowels, measure from the clipped bamboo skewer, so you have something to start measuring with (I suppose you could do it all with your dowels, but I never seem to get them all even in this way, for some reason). Mark each dowel to be cut. I stand mine up on a flat surface, next to the cut bamboo measure.

Then, I have used a flat rose clipper (not the ratchet-type or the type with both blades curved) to do this (and this was the ONLY thing those clippers were used for!). The second way is with a serrated-edge knife, but I found that this rolled around too much for accuracy.

My preferred way is with a good, sharp utility knife that I use only for cutting my dowels. I mark the length and put the dowel on its side on a flat cutting surface that I use just for this purpose. I then place the utility kinfe blade on the mark and carefully roll the dowel under the blade, making a very shallow indent all the way around the dowel. That way, I know if I'm cutting straight. If the ends don't match up, adjust the position of the blade and try again. Then continue to cut this way around, using much more pressure as you roll the dowel. Eventually (maybe 20 seconds total) you will cut through the dowel.

I will check it and make sure it doesn't "dome" up in the center of the cut end, and if it does, it is simple to slice off that dome.

I have found that wooden dowels are great for tiers 6"-7"-8"-9". After that, I tend to use the hollow plastic dowels and use much the same method for cutting, although I mark these all the way around first so that I am straight. I still use wood ones with a sharpened end to "skewer" through my tiers to keep everything from shifting once the cake is set up.

Hope this helps you out. Good luck!

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 12

I use gardening sheers, or whatever you call them. They are great.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 8:23pm
post #5 of 12

Don't use a serated edge knife!! The cut end never gets level & has alot of splinters in it! On my practice wedding cake I did that & the cakes weren't level. Not to mention that it killed my hands & fingers trying to cut the dowel!

I would use gardening sheers like cakeconfections & aobedessa said.

Anther thing.. I put one dowel rod in the center of the cake & then I measure the other dowels with that one. That works great!
Do a practice cake & see how it turns out~
~TC~

AgentCakeBaker Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 8:50pm
post #6 of 12

Do you cut the dowel rods so that they are slightly peeking out or do you cut them so that they aren't showing?

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 9:04pm
post #7 of 12

Well I have heard of it both ways. Most of the time you would cut the rods so they are even with the cake so they can not be seen. I heard of one someone who will make them 1/16 of an inche above the cake. Just enough so that it slightly floats above, but can be hidden with a border of icing. She does this to avoid the icing sticking and then does not have to put crumbs on the layer below.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 12:59am
post #8 of 12

i used a new pair of dog nail clippers. It was so easy it was like cutting paper. a friend of mine said that is what she uses so we went out and bought some. works great.

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 5:58am
post #9 of 12

I also use gardening shears (a new pair, bought and used only for dowels).

You can also use a nail file to smooth out the ends if they are rough or uneven, then give the ends a very quick rinse with water or wipe off on a wet cloth to get the dust off, not too much water though, or the rod will absorb the water. icon_smile.gif

AgentCakeBaker Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 1:54pm
post #10 of 12

Thanks guys! With all the advice I'm ready to stack my cake tonight.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 2:41pm
post #11 of 12

I like to use the larger hollow plastic dowel for my cakes so I went and bought a miter box and saw that is for cakes only and use it to cut strait even dowels every time works for wood dowels also.

Godiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godiva Posted 9 Apr 2005 , 12:41pm
post #12 of 12

My husband bought me a small hand saw at the hardware store...Works wonders and I get clean cuts...You don't have to put much effort into it icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%