What Is Mud Cake?

Baking By HollyPJ Updated 30 Jan 2006 , 6:40am by kitty_kat

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:37am
post #1 of 11

I've seen quite a few mentions of chocolate mud cake on this site. What kind of cake is this? Is there a specific recipe, or is it a type of cake?

10 replies
HollyPJ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:03am
post #2 of 11

anyone?

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:10am
post #3 of 11

I'd like to know what mud cake is too!!!!!

HollyPJ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:02am
post #4 of 11

I can't be certain, but I think most of the times I've seen it mentioned, the decorator was Australian.

kyliem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliem Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 3:09am
post #5 of 11

Mud cake is a very rich, very dense, chocolate cake, and can be made in various flavours - dark choc, white choc and caramel are the most common. It has quite a firm texture, so it is great for decorating.

It does seem to be a mainly Australian type of cake - I remember in the early '90s it became popular under the name 'Mississippi Mud Cake' though I'm not sure why Mississippi was dragged into the deal! In the years since, poor Mississippi got mislaid and the cakes are only referred to as 'mud'.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:45am
post #6 of 11

Seems like I've read a lot of posts about it lately too! Glad I'm not the only one who didn't know what it was.

HollyPJ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:50am
post #7 of 11

Anyone want to volunteer some recipes?

bonnscakesAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bonnscakesAZ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 5:48am
post #8 of 11

My mom used to make a mississppi mud cake all the time. she loved it! I think that it is called that because the top cracks some... It wasa rick chocolate cake with a layer of marshmallow creme, put on when hot so it would melt and then over the top a very rich and sweet chocolate icing.

There was also a missippi mud pie that was layered puddings and whipped cream and stuff.

HollyPJ Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 6:20am
post #9 of 11

Mmmm...that sounds so delicious and decandant, Bonnie!

However, I think the type of mud cake that I've read about in people's cake pic descriptions here at CC is something more like what kyliem described:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyliem

Mud cake is a very rich, very dense, chocolate cake, and can be made in various flavours - dark choc, white choc and caramel are the most common. It has quite a firm texture, so it is great for decorating.

[/quote]

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 6:25am
post #10 of 11

This is the recipe I got from here, usually I add the name of the person who submitted it through a post but neglected to do that this time. I apologize to the person who posted this for me not remembering!

CHOCOLATE MUDCAKE

1 cup plain flour
1 cup self raising flour
1/2 cup good quality dark cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda (baking powder)
2 1/2 cups sugar
8oz dark chocolate, chopped
8oz butter
3/4 cup hot water
1/2 cup buttermilk
2 tablespoons oil
2 tablespoons coffee powder or granules
4 eggs

1. sift flour, cocoa and soda into bowl. Stir in sugar

2. melt chocolate and butter in pan until smooth. Add and stir in water

3. gradually stir in choc. mixture to dry ingredients

4. whisk buttermilk, oil, coffee, and eggs in sparate bowl until combined.

5. Add into cake mixture and combine well. Pour into prepared tin. (Make sure it is lined well with baking paper (leave a 2cm collar above the rim).

Bake for 1 hour and 40 mins on 160 degrees C. (315deg. F/Gas 2-3) until skewer comes out clean

kitty_kat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kitty_kat Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 6:40am
post #11 of 11

I'm sorry! I'm amazed that so many people don't know what mud cake. I'm Australian and its common knowledge over here....its used SOOO often. There's even mud cakes available at the supermarket for really cheap with the words "Happy birthday" etc on it.

They're used a lot for almost every kind of cake. For some reason we see them more than sponge cake or cheesecake....or any other cake for that matter... Never even considered that you guys wouldn't have the same thing over there! icon_biggrin.gif It's all good tho thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%