Which Decorating Bags Do You Like And Why

Decorating By midwestmom Updated 10 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm by MessiET

midwestmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
midwestmom Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:37pm
post #1 of 23

I've been using disposable Wilton decorating bags & I'm considering buying some reusable bags. I see there are different kinds like featherweight & such. Also there are different sizes. I'm wondering what kind of bags you like the most and why.

22 replies
MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:41pm
post #2 of 23

Parchment paper triangles are all I use... Love them!

Peachshortcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peachshortcake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:44pm
post #3 of 23

The featherweight are nice because they don't weigh much. However they have the tendancy to blow a seam if the icing is quite thick. They are also well priced.
If I could afford it i would buy some heavy weight canvas bags. The ones that are lined with plastic. They don't stain, are incredibly durable and also dont seem to transfer heat as much as featherweights.

jtkempton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jtkempton Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:46pm
post #4 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by MessiET

Parchment paper triangles are all I use... Love them!

I agree!! easy clean up too

Momof4luvscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof4luvscakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 23

I use parchment triangles and disposable plastic bags. It is just easier.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:50pm
post #6 of 23

Disposable decorating bags when using couplers, parchment bags when I need a small amount of one color or a small amount with one particular tip.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:53pm
post #7 of 23

I use the plastic disposables because they are convenient and easy to use. I do have a large Featherweight bag and icer tip reserved for doing nothing but frosting cakes.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #8 of 23

Featherweights

aminium Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aminium Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:43pm
post #9 of 23

I swear by disposables just b/c then you don't have to worry about cleaning the featherweights...remember you have to get all of the grease off if you are going to use them for royal icing too...

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:53pm
post #10 of 23

I use the featherweights mostly. I really like those canvas type bags and use it only for royal.
If I could ever get it right, I would love to use parchment. The only time I used it was in my first course and the instructer kept having to take my hands and do it with me. DUH I must be soooooooo thick; I just can't get the hang of the folding!!! Whatever I do, it's wrong so I gave up trying several years ago.

justcakn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justcakn Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:55pm
post #11 of 23

I prefer the featherweights for buttercream icing because when I use the plastic throw away if the least little bit of buttercream gets on the outside of the bag your hand slides and I hate that and my hands tend to get too hot when I use the plastic ones. I would rather wash the featherweights than that plastic anyway. Now for royal icing I use my plastic bags or parchment. I like the size 10 or 12 bags the best.

1234me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1234me Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 23

kee seal disposable! Like the above poster, my hands get hot too and the bags always seemed to be slippery but I buy a box of playtez disposable gloves and wear them when piping. LOVE them and couldn't decorate without them. Gets a good firm hold of the bags!

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 7:05pm
post #13 of 23

I LOVE the Ateco bags. I have pretty warm hands, and they don't seem to transfer heat as much as the feather weights...plus they are cheaper and feel much sturdier.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 8:58pm
post #14 of 23

I have a bunch of Featherweights but am getting really sick of cleaning them ... even in the dishwasher they still seem to come out greasy still.

Parchment is nice, when I get them folded correctly and they stay in place ... side note that I learned from my teacher - make one parchment cone and cut a small hole at the end that a tip will cover. Make a second parchment bag and cut the hole large enough for that tip to sit in ... it's like a coupler for parchment! You can switch out tips! (My Wilton teacher never mentioned that trick).

I'm planning on ordering those Kee Seal disposables. I've heard great things about them here.

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:01pm
post #15 of 23

Parchment unless I have alot of icing in one color.

MaisieBake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaisieBake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #16 of 23

Parchment and disposables (Ateco brand) here.

I stick the disposabe into an old canvas bag if my hands are getting the icing too hot.

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:03pm
post #17 of 23

I use featherweights and love them...I got about 10 bags (from 12 - 18 inches) on ebay for under $22 shipped.

I do remember reading a while back about these fabulous disposable bags that everyone was using...the were not Wilton and they had a rubber-like pattern on them...someone posted a link but I can't find it. They looked fabulous but were a bit pricey. I don't care for the really thick Ateco (canvas) ones because they are so hard on my hands and I have never gotten the hang of parchment...which is a bummer.

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:07pm
post #18 of 23

I used plastic disposable ones until I started my new cake classes the instructor taught us how to use parchment triangles I was hooked!

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 9:15pm
post #19 of 23

I use featherweights for BC and disposable for royal, so I don't need to worry about grease on the bag when I do royal.

Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #20 of 23

where are you ordering the kee seal bags from?

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 3:03pm
post #21 of 23
Yomomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Yomomma Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 4:15pm
post #22 of 23

thanx czyadgrl, I ordered the free sample kit they offer too.

MessiET Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MessiET Posted 10 Mar 2007 , 11:36pm
post #23 of 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by czyadgrl

IParchment is nice, when I get them folded correctly and they stay in place ... side note that I learned from my teacher - make one parchment cone and cut a small hole at the end that a tip will cover. Make a second parchment bag and cut the hole large enough for that tip to sit in ... it's like a for parchment! You can switch out tips! (My Wilton teacher never mentioned that trick).

What a great idea! I also like to put the buttercream in plastic wrap and make a tube and then place it in the parchment bag... that is something I saw here on CC a while back. Works great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%