Somebody Stole My Photo!!!!!!!!!

Business By Kitagrl Updated 22 Feb 2006 , 2:52pm by ComplexSun

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:43am
post #61 of 158

No problem, and if anyone wants the tute in html form, just let me know.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:48am
post #62 of 158

[quote="bakersofcakes"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liis

Isn't this awful. I was googleing around for the barney cakes on day and i am 100 % sure that this page is stealing cake pics as well.

monkey cake (with bananas)
That's just a quick look!!! I can't believe this!!! icon_surprised.gif

the one difference is there happens to be 2 monkeys whereas the one original only had one.

SHADDI Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHADDI Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:57am
post #63 of 158

i was looking at both of this site : http://www.thecakefairy.co.uk/ and http://call-a-cake.tripod.com/id1.html
and i notice that they seem to be located around the same area in the u.k. and they do have alot of her cakes on their site so i was thinking mabe they use her as their cake chef even though i don't see her name on anything in their web. but mabe. has any one emailed her to find out.

traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:03am
post #64 of 158

I think that is terrible that someone would use a photo that does not belong to them. In this case...it looks as though she has stolen all the photos!

Kitagirl...I am sorry this happened to you. I think your cakes are so gorgeous! thumbs_up.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:18am
post #65 of 158

Thanks for all the nice comments and support! icon_biggrin.gif

I'd be really mad if she had taken one of my newer more time consuming cakes but that one isn't too terrible I guess! haha.

I wonder if she'll write me back or disable her site?

traci Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:25am
post #66 of 158

After thinking about this...I decided to send a comment to this so-called "chef" letting her know that many people are aware that she has stolen photos on her site.

That is just not right! thumbsdown.gif

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:32am
post #67 of 158

All she has to do is remove the page...it is no longer linked in with her main site, but it is still showing up in search engines so she just has to remove the dead page because right now the photos are getting more people to check out her home page.

Hopefully its just an oversight and she will quickly remove them.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 2:41am
post #68 of 158

[quote="flayvurdfun"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakersofcakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liis

Isn't this awful. I was googleing around for the barney cakes on day and i am 100 % sure that this page is stealing cake pics as well.

monkey cake (with bananas)
That's just a quick look!!! I can't believe this!!! icon_surprised.gif

the one difference is there happens to be 2 monkeys whereas the one original only had one.

thecakefairy.com actually has one with 1 monkey and another one with 2 monkeys. I thought the same thing until I scrolled down a little further and saw the exact one on her site that I saw copied at that other one.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 11:04am
post #69 of 158

yeah I seen that after I went back....I also emailed thecakefairy and told them, gave them the site to see. I got an email back from them this morning that said thank you for letting them know what was going on. I told them I wouldn't have seen it if people on here didnt say something. but I will say it again "I wish I was a fly on her wall when she realizes she was caught...

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 1:17pm
post #70 of 158

I got a nice reply from the chef. She says:

Quote:
Quote:

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. As you probably can see my website has been entirely redesigned and has been for a few years now. The previous web designer used 2 pictures that were not mine on the sculptured cake page and I no longer use that designer. It was my understanding that the page is no longer active but I see that it is still floating around out there. I understand your position and I will find out how to have the page removed.

I guess I am glad I know enough about website making to take care of my own pages! I would feel so helpless if I could not change my own website. Anyway.... I appreciate her honesty (hopefully she did not advocate the using of those photos) and hope the page is removed soon.

Cakeman66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeman66 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 6:32pm
post #71 of 158

it's easy to plead ignorance about something like this. If it's "her understanding" that the desinger used images that weren't hers, then why not speak up and have it taken care of originally? Smells fishy to me.

Sounds like an excuse because she finally got caught.

Anyone, especially a new designer could take those pages off the net and re-do them in less than a minute.

2 years to update a professional person or businesses website tells me they just aren't that professional or serious about it.

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 7:42pm
post #72 of 158

Her cake page is now gone and replaced with a link to her site.

I am glad she got it done quickly!

Maybe she just really had no clue about the internet or laws or anything like that. Anyway glad she responded.

Anyone hear from that other site that was stealing the uk pics?

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:02pm
post #73 of 158

HI I just wanted to say that I checked out her website...I also sent her an email...probably not as nice as yours but she did reply back so here is what all was said...
From Me:
: Just curious...do you do all the lovely cakes yourself? And if you do why did you deem it nescessary to "steal" another cake decorators photo of her cake? Did you ask permission? certainly not...or she would have remembered it. What you have on your site is FALSE advertisment. You did not create those cakes. And if you were that good of a chef...you would realize that you have several differant skill levels of cakes on this site. Next time you want to post a picture of somebody elses cake...you should ask permission and then give them credit for it! People find these things out you know. SHAME on you for not having enough pride in yourself or your site to not put up your own "sculptured cakes".

OH Boy I do sound hostile! I'm sorry! But anyways here is her reply...almost directly imitates what she said to you...but she did put about my email being hostile

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. As you probably can see my website has been entirely redesigned and has been for a few years now. That previous web designer used 2 pictures that were not mine on the sculptured cake page and I no longer use that designer. I was my understanding that the page is no longer active but I see that it is still floating around out there. I understand your position and I will find out how to have the page removed.

I am sure this happens to you often which explains the hostility in your email however, I run a very ethical establishment and all my clients are highly satisfied. The problem will be rectified as soon as possible.

Have a great day!!

tcrema Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcrema Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:03pm
post #74 of 158

Sorry If I overstepped my bounds. I was in a foul mood anyways with people so I put my two cents in!
But I am glad she did respond and take care of the situation

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:06pm
post #75 of 158

LOL she was actually pretty gracious... I suppose it could have been an oversight. I do know some people who know absolutely nothing, zilch, zero about online things or webpages and its very possible she could have just let the web designer do whatever he/she wanted and didn't worry about it.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:07pm
post #76 of 158

Edited to delete, this post went through twice for some reason.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:07pm
post #77 of 158

I have never dealt with a web designer, so I may just be very ignorant about this, but I have seen this same excuse several times - "I had no idea the web designer was going to put up those pictures." Now here is what I don't get so enlighten me, wouldn't the web designer be using pictures you gave him or her? And wouldn't you go on the site and approve the final design and information? Wouldn't you automatically check what was on your own website?
The other one I heard was the web designer went into the bakery and somehow ended up with some pictures of cakes that customers had brought in to have duplicated. Now maybe it is just me, but if I was going to pay someone to put up a site that represented my business, I would be taking the time to sit down with them and would have gone through any pictures they were going to use on my site before proceeding.
After all, the site represents your business, wouldn't you be monitoring it/
Hugs Squirrelly

Kitagrl Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:20pm
post #78 of 158

Makes sense, Squirelly, but who knows. icon_lol.gif I like control over my site so much I figured out how to just do it myself... but maybe some people just really don't care.

It does sound sort of like a cop out though. Like maybe the designer said "What pictures do you want" and she could have said "Oh I dunno, just find some."

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:21pm
post #79 of 158

Well- I would guess that she knew the pictures were there and provided them and just claimed ignorance.

However- I can see someone just handing a stack of pics to a designer ( maybe a friend doing a favor for them, not necessarily paid) and saying yeah go ahead and put something online for me. I have met people who would not even know how to turn a computer on, much less check a site. All I am saying is I could see how it could happen.

It's highly unlikely, but it could have been an honest mistake.

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:37pm
post #80 of 158

I, too, sent her some 'feedback' and received the exact same comment back from her that she sent to you, Kitagirl & you, Tcrema. She must have received a lot of 'feedback' to have created one email that she sent to everyone...lol. I, personally, think it's a pat answer and she just got caught and is blaming it on someone else. Otherwise, I think her answer would've been a little different. JMO icon_smile.gif

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 8:46pm
post #81 of 158

actually now that I think about it alittle more, those people who would have been ignorant enough to not check the site and notice the pics, would also never have been able to respond to an email. Hmmmm

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 9:42pm
post #82 of 158

I know how to use email, but I don't know diddly squat about making a web page. I have no desire to learn how to make a web page so I would ask a friend to make it for me. I know plenty of people who can make simple web pages, but they are by no means professional web designers.

Manners dictate that you ask someone before using her cake picture. However, the soccerball cake is a common enough cake that the web designer may have seen no harm in using that image. There's no way to know exactly what happened. It doesn't have to be some sinister cake plot with the woman chuckling, "I'll fool them all! The soccer ball is mine! HA! HA! HA!"

Sorry, had to lighten this thread up a bit. It was starting to resemble a Tom Clancy novel-lots of intrigue. icon_smile.gif

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 10:23pm
post #83 of 158

I would never use someone else's pictures and claim to have made the cakes. Is it a problem if I copy a picture to my computer to use as an idea for a future cake? I have saved several that I have seen on sites, mostly this one. I have to truthfully say that I have been too lazy to make any of them. I email them to my daughter alot as she makes cakes for people much more than I. She is always calling me to ask if I have any ideas for a certain event and I look on here and send her ideas. Is that a problem with anyone? I don't want to do something that would make anyone mad. I see so many pretty cakes on here. Wish I was as talented as some of you.

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 12:52am
post #84 of 158

I am always using the images of others as something to work from for my own cakes.... but I never would post them on my website.

Haha bubblez you are probably right! Only if I was going to steal a photo I'd probably use the ones Wilton puts out...i.e. the ones made using the sports ball pans or etc, that way they are perfectly reproduceable. But I wouldn't steal it, but I am saying it'd be better to do that than to use a private baker's photos.

traci Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 1:53am
post #85 of 158

I agree with Squirrellycakes. I don't care if she has hired someone else to do her website...she would be checking it after it was done. So, she would be fully aware that the stolen photos were there.

However...I am very glad that she responded and the page was removed! thumbs_up.gif Now...this makes me want to surf the web to see if any of my photos have been stolen!!! LOL!!! icon_biggrin.gif

Genna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genna Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 2:12am
post #86 of 158

Yesterday I went to a local cake decorator's site (recently redone) and thought "Geez, she's gotten good overnight...almost too good!". Then today, I noticed she'd copied her main picture from www.elegantcheesecakes.com. BAD DECORATOR LADY!!!

P.S.
Her site is www.tiersofjoyatlanta.com

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 2:16am
post #87 of 158

Wow, elegant cheesecakes is a NICE SITE!!!!!!!!! I saved it to my favorites. I guess when you are that good you can charge what they charge, too.... icon_eek.gif

I couldn't get to the other site though...

Genna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Genna Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 2:19am
post #88 of 158

I just tried it and it worked for me....yeah, she even took the time to remove their name from the picture!

traci Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 2:38am
post #89 of 158

I was able to bring up the website and see the photo that you are referring to.

I am sure that some of the other photos are also not hers.
LL
LL

Kitagrl Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 2:41am
post #90 of 158

Oh, wow! So now, what's she gonna do when a customer ORDERS that cake???????

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%