How Do I Use Luster Dust On Fondant?

Decorating By sbcakes Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 12:55pm by bethola

sbcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sbcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:55am
post #1 of 7

Could someone explain to me how I use luster dust on fondant? I have seen pictures of the fondant bows and other accents that have the silky shiny look to it? I have the super pearl luster dust. Will this work with any color fondant, or do I have to but that color luster dust that the fondant is?
Thanks!!!

6 replies
sweetcakesva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcakesva Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #2 of 7

posted a similar ques a few days ago and someone said to liquify it with an extract or vodka and brush it on or simply dust it on. I am not sure about the color matching thing though

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:46am
post #3 of 7

You can use Super Pearl dust (AS A DUST) over any color fondant. That is unless you actually want to "paint" something on it, like swirls or something. Then it will still work. Is that what you are askiing?

Beth in KY

sbcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:26am
post #4 of 7

I think so...So I can use the super pearl on any color fondant and it will give the fondant that shimmery look, without changing the fondant color? I can just dust in on dry? When do you liquify it?

bethola Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 4:34am
post #5 of 7

Okay, yes, you can give it a "shimmer" without changing the color IF you LIGHTLY dust it on. I only liquify any of my luster dusts if I want a shiny painted look. Check out my photos The Cake from He-- and The Cake Trilogy- Wedding Cake 1. These are "painted" luster dust. Now, if you look at the gold birthday cake the jewelry box is "dusted" with gold dust.

Hope this Helps!

Beth in KY

sbcakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 5:01am
post #6 of 7

Thank you...I think I get it...lol!!! All of the dusts just confuse me. I will play around and hopefully it will all come to me! icon_lol.gif

bethola Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:55pm
post #7 of 7

I have always found to "play around" is the way (what my paintin!g instructor calls) HAPPY MISTAKES and I always learn something new!

Good luck and you will be fine! I LOVE luster dust! It just adds a POP to your work and can turn a simple cake into something elegant.

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%