San Diego Cake Show And Competition! There Is Still Time!!!

Decorating By mommykicksbutt Updated 28 Mar 2007 , 5:31pm by peacockplace

mommykicksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommykicksbutt Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 2:02pm
post #61 of 102

I was there last night delivering my entries and OMG!!!!! you will not believe the cakes that are there!!!! Food Network so needs to be filming these creations, they are absolutely mind blowing!!!! If you are in the So California area you really gotta try to come by to see these this weekend. you won't be disappointed!!!!

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 4:38pm
post #62 of 102

Well, I have no chance after dropping off my entry. I was the only entry with no gumpaste flowers in my division! And mine was the shortest one! It was funny setting up my entry because it seemed like it was the dwarf amongst giants. Well, at least I'll know what they're going to expect after this year, but I don't know about doing gumpaste flowers. I've taken the one course thru Wilton at Michaels and that's it. In all honesty, as a graduate student, I really don't have time to dedicate myself to doing gumpaste flowers. Maybe I'll have to enter a different category next year until I can get my skills up there. Good luck to everyone!

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #63 of 102

I feel the same way! What category did you say you were in? I'll have to check your other post in case you mentioned it and I forgot.

I have one cake entered in Adv II and this year, unknownst to me they have eliminated the "gumpaste specialties" category so now cakes with gumpaste flowers that are normally in that category are in Adv I and Adv II. Gumpaste flowers always always win out!!!!! It's just not fair!!!! It really really isn't!!!! My cake will be totally overlooked because it has no flowers!!!!!!!

I am getting ready to go here in about an hour because I want to catch the 1 o'clock demo. My two cakes are: Nautical in Adv II upstairs. The other is my Lambeth/Australian in Foreign Techniques!!

Amy

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 24 Mar 2007 , 7:34pm
post #64 of 102

Yep, people do love flowers. But we'll see. I am going to get there later in the day; I just woke up.

mconrey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mconrey Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 3:36am
post #65 of 102

Okay - the cakes were AMAZING!! I went this afternoon with the entire family and the family from out of town. We weren't able to stay very long (with 2 four year olds, a 2 year old and a 10 month old between us all), but I was just completely blown away by the quality of the cakes. I mean the amateur division looked professional. Heck - the kids division looked professional. icon_eek.gif

I am so hoping to go back again tomorrow for a little bit and really get a chance to look at the entries again and go to a demo or two. I'm sure my 4-year old would love to go again too. She had a BLAST decorating the cupcakes.

So, anyone who entered a cake - would you mind sharing which one was yours??

aupekkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aupekkle Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 5:37am
post #66 of 102

CAKEMOMMY: Congrats on your best in show!!!! You so deserve it! Your entry is so beautiful! I was in awe of it. I'm so glad that you won! All that hard work really paid off. You totally inspire me to work harder on my skills!

Yeah, I didn't place this year, but I knew my entry wasn't wasn't quite up there with the other entries. Oh, well. Better luck next year. I've included my entry photo. I based this cake on a Carolina Herrera dress that was on the cover of the Winter Martha Stewart's Weddings.
LL

cakemommy Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 6:46am
post #67 of 102

Thank you so much!! My sister called me to tell me. She is MC'ing the show this year so she was upstairs and saw them take my cake. She asked what was going on and she was told "Oh, they are moving the Best of Show cakes." I was downstairs eating lunch and she called me to tell me. I thought she was joking. She said "Congratulations!" I said "What for?" She said "Your cake just won Best of Show." I think I must have said "WHAT!!" at least a dozen times. I am in complete denial. I still can't bring myself to believe I could have created a BOS cake. That is just not possible. I fretted and fumed over that cake and almost gave up. It took me just about two months to get the thing completed what with being a single mother right now with my husband deployed. I had to take a break from it for a week to two weeks at a time. I still think it's a joke or a dream or something. I'll wake up in the morning and it will have just been a dream. If my cake is still on the table when I get there tomorrow I'll probably, oh I don't know what I'll do. All I do know is that I cried like the dickens when my sister told me that it was for real!!!

I love your cake. I really love how it looks like it's stitched. Black and white cakes are so gorgeous. I have pictures of it. It really is beautiful!!!!! My other cake which didn't place but I knew it wouldn't. It's the cake with the anchor and the yellow/blue rope. Gee where have you seen that design before? icon_rolleyes.gificon_lol.gif I love that cake. I had fun doing that one.

Okay, gotta get some sleep. If you happen to be there for the awards tomorrow I'll be the one blubbering getting my BOS award, that is if this isn't all a dream!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:11am
post #68 of 102

I went to the show today and you guys are amazing! I just started another thread without thinking to add to an existing one. I want to upload my photos, but wanted to get the cake designer's names so I can credit them before I do that. I am going to go back tomorrow and try to gather info. Congratulations Cakemommy!! - which cakes did you win for?

cakemommy Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 7:17am
post #69 of 102

Thank you! I did two but the one that won BOS is my Lambeth/Australian technique cake. It's center on the BOS table!!!!!! I'm so blown away still and that's probably why I am still awake at this hour but really am tired as all get out!!!

Amy

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 25 Mar 2007 , 8:19am
post #70 of 102

I had a wonderful time I say in on all the demos went to peir 1 and found two black cake stands for 6.40 each . I hate I couldnt stay all weekend but it was worth the 3 hour drive in traffic it took me this morning to get down there loved it i bought a mess of tickets I hope I win even tho I wont be there on Sunday. The cake made my mouth hit the floor a few times I have so many pictures.

indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 4:37am
post #71 of 102

cakemommy - both of your cakes were fabulous, congratulations on your win.

aupekkle - I love your white and black cake!

I just finished getting my pics uploaded and putting the correct names on each cake. I put them on flickr.com. If you have not heard of it, you do not need a login or anything to view and download pictures. There is also a slideshow option on the top right of this page so you can go through them quickly (I took a lot of pics!)

Enjoy:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63223389@N00/sets/72157600027106092/

P.S. Let me know if you have any info I was missing or know of any of the runners up. Thx.

cakemommy Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 5:34am
post #72 of 102

Great! Thank you for posting the picrtures!!!!

Thank you for the recognition as well!!! That cake was so stressful!!!!

Hey, the "music" cake with the piano keys on the cake board was done by my sister "mommykicksbutt". She also did the pastillage Koi fish.

My nephew entered the competition as well but I didn't see his cake. It was the treasure map cake with the gold coins on it. He took second place in his Junior category. It was on the same table as the kitten on the ball of yarn.

I must say you did an awesome job putting this together and also recording everyone's names. Maybe you should run the cake club's website so we might have current pictures.

Amy

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 12:26pm
post #73 of 102

Great pictures! A big congrats to you Cakemommy! Can anyone tell me if the Titanic painting placed?

nglez09 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:00pm
post #74 of 102

Great. . .the flickr site is blocked on the school's server. I'll have to wait until I get home. icon_mad.gif

cakemommy Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:17pm
post #75 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by jen1977

Great pictures! A big congrats to you Cakemommy! Can anyone tell me if the Titanic painting placed?

Thank you so much! I don't recall the Titanic painting so I can't tell you if it placed. I'm sorry!!

Amy

Ali24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ali24 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 3:29pm
post #76 of 102

I can't don't remember if it placed either, but it sure was beautiful. I took pictures of every entry, they were all wonderful. I enjoyed myself so much!!

indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 6:19pm
post #77 of 102

cakemommy - thanks for letting me know about your sis. The piano cake and koi fish are great. I love that her two cakes show such a range of talent. I added her cc name to her cakes.

I don't recall if ruty's Titanic painting won either. The only ones I was sure of were on the Best of Show table.

nglez09 Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 7:13pm
post #78 of 102

Are you staying here in San Diego for the week?

indigojods Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 7:56pm
post #79 of 102

nglez09 - was that question for me?

If so, I live in San Diego icon_smile.gif I see you are in La Costa, I know that is somewhere around here - near Carlsbad? I live in Rancho Bernardo.

If that question wasn't for me sorry icon_smile.gif

sweetflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetflowers Posted 26 Mar 2007 , 9:06pm
post #80 of 102

Titanic won 1st place.

As for the web site. All the members were at the show 8am to 9 or 10pm every night plus taking down on Sunday. Give us a day or two to recover! Plus our webmaster has a full time job too, give us some time to get the pics up. icon_rolleyes.gif

KathyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyKakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 12:01am
post #81 of 102

Thank you, indigojods, for posting those pictures! I had such a great time at the show and was simply bowled over by the entries. I'm glad I entered but as I joked with several people over the weekend, I think I really belonged in the remedial amateur division! Nonetheless it was a positive experience to build on!

To answer another person's question about identifying our cakes, I did the Sleeping Beauty cake in the amateur tiered fondant division. It was only my 3rd time working with fondant, and first ever cake show, but I figure everybody has to start somewhere!

Congratulations to cakemommy- your Lambeth cake took my breath away. I also loved mommykicksbutt's koi- very original. Honestly, I can't recall a single entry I didn't like!

indigojods Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:09am
post #82 of 102

You are welcome Kathy! I couldn't believe the cakes either! Yours was spectacular though - definitely did not look like anything less than the work of a professional. You are SOOO wrong about belonging in a remedial division!

I see you live in Poway. I work in the Poway business park and live relatively close. Are you part of the San Diego Cake Club?

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:16am
post #83 of 102

The Titantic painting won a blue ribbon! Well deserved, too! Gosh, it was beautiful!! There was a link on the board earlier about this, but I can't remember the name of it.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:19am
post #84 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by aupekkle

CAKEMOMMY: Congrats on your best in show!!!! You so deserve it! Your entry is so beautiful! I was in awe of it. I'm so glad that you won! All that hard work really paid off. You totally inspire me to work harder on my skills!

Yeah, I didn't place this year, but I knew my entry wasn't wasn't quite up there with the other entries. Oh, well. Better luck next year. I've included my entry photo. I based this cake on a Carolina Herrera dress that was on the cover of the Winter Martha Stewart's Weddings.

I love your cake. Took several pic of it. I just posted mine under a separate post. I won 1st for my cookies and 2nd for my cake.

KathyKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KathyKakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:22am
post #85 of 102

To Indigojods- yes, I belong to the SDCC. I live right around the corner from where you work- off Metate on one of the side streets. Small world, isn't it? Do you belong to SDCC?

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:39am
post #86 of 102

I've got to say I loved all the cakes... there were so many great works of art. The only downside to the event for me was hearing other entrants (as well as someone who did a demonstration) bash my cake right in front of me (not knowing I had made it).

It took a lot of the fun out of the event for me, and after I received my award, I left. I'd love to enter other competitions, but I just don't understand why people have to be that negative...

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:50am
post #87 of 102

Brandi, may I ask which was yours? I was looking for your name and I couldn't find it. So sorry you had a bad experience.

This was my first time going to a cake show. There was so much for me to see I think I skipped over a few. I had my 8 month old and my 6 year old with me (thank God my sis was there to help me..

BrandisBaked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BrandisBaked Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:56am
post #88 of 102

Mine won Best of Show in Professional... it was the sculpted "Angels" (really Cupid and Psyche) on a four tiered cake - and had "fabric" ribbons floating on each tier... It's shown in the pictures that were posted earlier.

Fairytale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fairytale Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 2:58am
post #89 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandisBaked

Mine won Best of Show in Professional... it was the sculpted "Angels" (really Cupid and Psyche) on a four tiered cake - and had "fabric" ribbons floating on each tier... It's shown in the pictures that were posted earlier.

I loved that one. You did an amazing job on the male's body. The judges got it right!!! Congratulations.

SweetTcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetTcakes Posted 27 Mar 2007 , 3:02am
post #90 of 102

I loved yours Brandi! I took a few pictures of it!
I don't understand why anyone would bash it. It was gorgeous. Amazing, really

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%