Instructions With Picture? To Make A Warming Box?

Sugar Work By Kathee Updated 9 Nov 2006 , 2:58am by Kellycreations

Kathee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kathee Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 3:05pm
post #1 of 20

Can somebody tell me how to make a warming box for sugar? A picture would be most helpful.........I'm pretty handy, I guess I just need some instructions here.

Please!
kathee

19 replies
adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 20

I don't have any photos...but scroll down to the bottom of page 2 on this thread and our old friend PastryDiva explains how to make one. I'm sure you can find a photo of one if you do a search on google....good luck...

http://cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9491&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=warming&&start=15

adven68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adven68 Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 4:30pm
post #3 of 20

BTW...I remember Diva also saying you could buy the warming light for about $15 at a pet store. The ones they sell are used for reptiles but serve the same purpose. She was full of great ideas....

SugarCreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarCreations Posted 30 Jan 2006 , 10:57pm
post #4 of 20

Yes, serve the same purpose? You have to remember that lights used for reptile cages are not 250 watt bulbs if they were they would fry the more critter in the cage. All professional warming boxes come with a 250 watt heat lamp bulb which gets far hotter than a reptile bulb. I remember the post where she was talking about this. She pm me about that and said they were 250 watt bulbs. There agian Kathee as I told you in my pm to you they are a matter of personal preference. No 2 chefs will have the same designed box at least not from what I have seen. The reptile bulb would proably work but it would take more than one. Checkout this link www.pastrywiz.com they have a link there for sugar equipment and a pic of a warming box. You could also try www.chefrubber.com or www.auiswiss.com both of these sites have sugar work equipment I don't know about warming boxes because I have never tried to get them there. You might also try calling a culinary school that offers courses in this type of work one in particular is www.notterschool.com it is located in Florida it is ran by the world renown Ewald Notter one of the best sugar artitist in the world. Thats the thing about this type of art you are only limited by your imagination. Look around your home you proably have most of what you need already there, agian the box is just personal preference, unless you want to spend $350 to $400 for a professional box.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 1:14am
post #5 of 20

I am thinking too Sugar Creations that the size of your warming box would come into play with how high a wattage or what type of bulb you could get away with since the type of bulb also comes into play with how much heat it generates.
There is the same kind of issue when you are making a light box for use with pictures for buttercream transfers or even when you use these for stained glass as I do. If there is not enough space and area for the heat to dissipate you could be asking for trouble.
So would this not also be the case when you are designing a warming box just as it would be in the case of a reptile box, the distance from the heat source and the object?
I have made some lighted shadow boxes for art work using halogen lights and was surprized at just how much heat they gave off.
Just curious!
Hugs Squirrelly

SugarCreations Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 10:45am
post #6 of 20

There agian SC it falls back to what I said in a preivous post "personal preference" and size. You do not even have to have the sugar where it is inside the box I have seen chefs where the bulbs were outside. True you could use a lower wattage but that would require getting the heat closer to your work. The key here I guess is that you need enough room inside the box to work the sugar so you have to decide how much width you need.Typical boxes are 25 inches high. And if you get the heat source to close has your working the sugar you could get severly burned. As if burns from the hot sugar isn't bad enough. You don't need heat lamp burns to go with them.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 5:39pm
post #7 of 20

Heehee, no you surely wouldn't want to deal with the burns from heat lamps on top of everything else.
I asked because I know a few people that had little fires in their regular light boxes from confining too much heat too close, I guess with the plexiglass reflecting the light too and not having enough distance in their cases, it was a risky. Reminds me of how children would take a magnifying glass outside and create fires because of the sun's reflection. My oldest makes these really wonderful photographs on a special paper that she lights from behind. We really had to play with depths because the little halogen lights we use gave off a lot of heat.
I suppose we always apply what we learn from something somewhat similar So in this case the depth is going to be a big factor.
Thanks for answering kiddo!
Hugs Squirrelly

SugarCreations Posted 31 Jan 2006 , 9:55pm
post #8 of 20

No problem. Its just simply a matter of what works best for the individual thats all. Do not be bound by what is written. You are only bound by your imagination.Make sense?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 1 Feb 2006 , 12:17am
post #9 of 20

Thanks kiddo and also a big thanks for sharing information and de-mystifying a lot of things about sugar and making it seem more do-able!
Hugs Squirrelly

SugarCreations Posted 2 Feb 2006 , 1:46am
post #10 of 20

No problem.

jrcwyss Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jrcwyss Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 7:01am
post #11 of 20

I bought a lamp fixture and a heat bulb from home depot for $20. The bulb is for a bathroom and is only 125 watts. I figured that if i put tin on the inside of my box that would make up for the lower wattage.

SugarCreations Posted 30 Aug 2006 , 9:30am
post #12 of 20

May work but I doubt it. Heat lamps only run about $6 for the clear ones. You can try your setup. Let me know how it does.

Rgds Sugarcreations

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 29 Sep 2006 , 12:24pm
post #13 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by adven68

BTW...I remember Diva also saying you could buy the warming light for about $15 at a pet store. The ones they sell are used for reptiles but serve the same purpose. She was full of great ideas....

That was for the warming lamp you could get a pet lamp for 15 bucks!!!

you can get 3 pieces of plexiglass that you put some hinges on so you can store it flat.

2 pieces of white pressed board with groves for the plexiglass and a hole in the top to hang the light..

Ugh, uploading the pictures didn't work.! sorry...I have to edit the picture as it has peoples faces on it, it shows the warming box I was talking about!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:22pm
post #14 of 20

My husband made mine with plexiglass and wood. He cut the wood to fit the plexiglass and then put a hole in the top of the "box" for the cord that was attached to the light. The light had a "cage" on it and the bulb is a 250 watt bulb. The entire cost was about $60.00. He was VERY proud of it and I have a new "toy"! Now, here is a little tip: Use a marble cutting board with a silpat mat on it. I tried other boards but found they did not conduct the heat and my sugar/Isomalt cooled too quickly. Have fun! I have to get mine out this week to make some Christmas Ornaments for a wedding cake!

SugarCreations Posted 23 Oct 2006 , 10:28pm
post #15 of 20

Good for you. See you do not have to spend $400 on a professional box. Way to go......

Rgds Sugarcreations

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:34pm
post #16 of 20

probably an extremely stupid question but....couldnt you just put it on a silpat in the oven at 250? i am new to just even the concept of sugar....so dont poke fun at me! thanks!!! icon_lol.gif

SugarCreations Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 10:59pm
post #17 of 20

The oven will work at its lowest temp with the door open but the problem is you cannot work with the sugar in the oven. Thats what the box is for. It keeps the sugar warm and pliable while you are pulling or blowing. And no question is stupid. Only the one thats not asked.

Rgds

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Nov 2006 , 11:35pm
post #18 of 20

thank you!!!! that was a kind reply. i appreciate it. i was thinking of trying sugar bubbles just for practice. ..but want to work with what i have before i spend money on tools in case i dont care for this type of work.
tell me what you think...

i do not have isomalt, so i plan on using sugar 3 lbs to 1 lb water (1 and 3/4 c?) with 2 tsps of cream of tarter. i have a candy thermometer (walmart 3$). i will slowly melt it down over about 20 min or so...cool it on either my clean greased granite counter or parchment paper (i dont have a silpat yet) slightly...then use a balloon animal pump with a small ball of pliable sugar...and my gas stovetop to heat scissors. if i keep the sugar dough warm in my oven as you suggested, what could i put it on? a baking sheet lined with parchment? i appreciate any suggestions. thanks again.

SugarCreations Posted 7 Nov 2006 , 12:34am
post #19 of 20

Use your baking sheet lightly grease it with vegetable oil first. As far as the scissors go you do not have to heat them not necessary. Your granite countertop will work great, ditch the parchment paper will not work. The reason granite or marble used is to help cool the sugar so that it will be cooler to work with. I am a little skeptical about your recipe but use it and see what happens if it does not work let me know I have one you can use. Anymore questions just ask or PM me glad to help.

Rgds

Kellycreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kellycreations Posted 9 Nov 2006 , 2:58am
post #20 of 20

"My husband made mine with plexiglass and wood. He cut the wood to fit the plexiglass and then put a hole in the top of the "box" for the cord that was attached to the light. The light had a "cage" on it and the bulb is a 250 watt bulb. The entire cost was about $60.00"

Bethola would you mind posting pictures of the box your husband made? thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%