Candy Melt ???

Sugar Work By anoldhippy Updated 16 Mar 2007 , 1:41am by Confectionary2

anoldhippy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anoldhippy Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:22pm
post #1 of 5

I just made my first of batch of candy melt shells. They turned out ok and I realize they are pretty easy to do but I had a few questions for next time:
1-do you just do small batches
2-to marbelize and not have the candy become too mixed up when making another batch-do you wash it out and use a fresh clean bowl or just let it kind of all mix together for the last bit (sorry I am sounding confusing, just not sure how to word it...)
3-how do you get it easily into the molds. I like the idea of using an icing bag but to marbelize, how do you do mix the 2 in the same bag?

most important thing I learned....don't leave the melts in the microwave too long.....burnt chocholate and plastic make a yucky, smelly mess!!!
Thank you for your time and suggestions

4 replies
JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:13pm
post #2 of 5

Instead of trying to marble the chocolate, you might try painting a swipe of one color on part of the mold, let it set, then add the rest of the chocolate in the other color. The marble would only be superficial but it might save a ton of problems.

sugarnut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarnut Posted 9 Mar 2007 , 10:40am
post #3 of 5

ok,

1- yes, do small batches. I only do at one time what fits in the bag so it doesn't start to set up before I finish using it.

2 & 3- I'm lazy. I always do my candy melts in a disposable decorating bag, with a rubber band on the end, then just cut a small tip off the bottom to squirt into the molds. To marbelize it, just put in part green, part white, or whatever combo you're going for. I micorwave at HALF POWER for about 1.5 to 2 minutes, squish, and maybe melt 30 seconds more.

You only want to melt them until they look mostly done, then squish in the bag by hand so the chocolate isn't overdone.

For a different look, you can paint on one color of chocolate in the mold, then fill it. Good luck!

Fascination Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fascination Posted 11 Mar 2007 , 5:48am
post #4 of 5

hi ..
for a different look, try this:

put a few small drops of color 1 on different areas of your mold.
drag the color around a bit with a toothpick;
add color 2; again with the toothpick, move it back & forth, up & down, in circles... this will drag color 1 through color 2 and vice versa.
so you never have to mix the colors in a bowl, no waste.
hope it works for you.

ciao

Confectionary2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary2 Posted 16 Mar 2007 , 1:41am
post #5 of 5

Working with several different colors at one time you can use a heating pad on the lowest setting. Just be careful!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%