Pastry Bags

Decorating By p106_peppy Updated 23 Jul 2009 , 7:52am by Peters

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 6:21am
post #1 of 22

I like disposible bags, but they don't hold much.
I like cloth bags, but they always get sticky.
Lined cloth bags are ok, but I always find that the lining crack and shreds and the sticky gets throught anyway.

So... I would liek to use parchment most of all, but quite often when I try it the bag eventually slips and the hole at the tip grows really bug and teh coupler falls out. I've tried taping it, but tape doesn't stick to parchment very well.

What am I doing wrong?

21 replies
SarahJane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SarahJane Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 10:12am
post #2 of 22

Make sure that the two side come together evening in the back, then I fould the point down several times, I then add one piece of tape on the back where the two sides butt-up to oneanother (the really slipper side should be where the icing goes, so I don't usually have a problem with the tape sticking to the outside. Once I add the icing fold the top down several times to keep the bag tightly together. Hope this makes sense, good luck.

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:20pm
post #3 of 22

I use tape around the bottom of mine where the coupler goes and have never had an issue. In fact, that stuff wants to stay on there even when I'm done and trying to pull it off. I've noticed the only time I have an issue is when I've cut the whole too big. It seems like it fits, but is actually a tad too big. I never cut larger than the top thread of the coupler.

crylynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crylynn Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 6:49am
post #4 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by cali4dawn

I use tape around the bottom of mine where the coupler goes and have never had an issue. In fact, that stuff wants to stay on there even when I'm done and trying to pull it off. I've noticed the only time I have an issue is when I've cut the whole too big. It seems like it fits, but is actually a tad too big. I never cut larger than the top thread of the coupler.

So you use a coupler with your parchment? Since I have never heard of anyone doing that, I just would like clarification on that (for everyone reading this, not just me). thumbs_up.gif

Thanks,
Crylynn

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 12 Apr 2005 , 5:22pm
post #5 of 22

Sure- why not?? Why couldn't you? The very first class I ever took had us doing this... I don't know any different.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 3:38am
post #6 of 22

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not use couplers (and metal tips) with parchment bags, otherwise you can only do very limited piping and very limited use for the parchment bags!

Janice

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 3:49am
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to not use couplers (and metal tips) with parchment bags, otherwise you can only do very limited piping and very limited use for the parchment bags!

When I've used parchment bags (not very often), I only use a metal tip. I drop it down into a small hole I cut in the bag. Then I take another parchment bag and cut a smaller hole. I fill that bag with my icing and drop it into the bag with the tip. Then it's quick change if I need to switch tips. I never thought to use a coupler. I thought the bag would come apart on me if I went to twist off the ring to add another tip.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:22am
post #8 of 22

Nope, not at all.

Someone on another board was trying convince me that the way you do it (using 2 bags) is faster than using couplers... I still don't get it and I tried it. What do you think?

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:28am
post #9 of 22

I don't know. I haven't tried the couplers but if the bags don't come apart when you twist off the ring then I'd say using a coupler would be faster. It's like the plastic wrap trick with other types of bags...I always thought that would be more trouble than it was worth. I haven't tried that yet either though--LOL! I'm just pretty happy with my disposable bags. Fill'em and toss'em. Also...if there is enough icing left in the bag, I can store it that way and have a filled bag ready for next time.

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:40am
post #10 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa

Also...if there is enough icing left in the bag, I can store it that way and have a filled bag ready for next time.

Oh yeah!! I'm all about that! I have an air tight container just for that purpose!!!! The only downside- it does hold up my couplers... but no worries- they are cheap- I just went out and bought more when it became a hassle. icon_rolleyes.gif

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:47am
post #11 of 22

Same here! I've also been known to leave my tips on too. Have to go hunt for them sometimes. Can't seem to ever have enough tips and couplers.

jscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jscakes Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:55am
post #12 of 22

I have had so much trouble with the parchment bags...I sort of look like a cat with tape on it's paws...just can't coordinate myself with them! But, I have used the plastic wrap inside the decorator bags and I like that, doesn't seem to be too much of a hassle. I don't always use it that way, but if I'm doing a big project I do. A couple of times using the disposable bags I've blown out the side!

veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 9:21am
post #13 of 22

I believe that using two bags wastes a lot more icing than switching the tips, and that gets expensive! I have stored icing in the parchment bags a time or two, but if you leave it for more than a day or two they get a little soggy, but generally still usable.

I also get a little frustrated with the parchment bags, but found if I use one of those really small staplers and staple the three top ends, it helps me a lot. Once the couplers and tips have been put on the parchment bags, they don't come apart when you take off the coupler cap and the tip. Another thing I figured out is that if you cut the excess off of any of the bags (to make them fit the coupler), if you cut on a curve and not straight across, they will fit the coupler much better.

That's probably more than 2 cents worth, isn't it?
Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 4:11pm
post #14 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by veejaytx

I believe that using two bags wastes a lot more icing than switching the tips, and that gets expensive! I have stored icing in the parchment bags a time or two, but if you leave it for more than a day or two they get a little soggy, but generally still usable.

Janice

This may depend on the quality of bag you are using. I generally don;t leave mine in the bag more than a couple of days, but I have left them i the bag for a couple of weeks. I've not had this happen.

I never store with the tips left on. I leave the couplers on, but never the tips.

veejaytx Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 5:19pm
post #15 of 22

At least once I was glad I'd put away bag and tip and all! While putting the cake into it's box, I managed to do a number on about a 6 inch portion on the corner of the cake, so it was simple to just take the stored bag out of the container and repair the cake, which was being picked up within 15 or 20 minutes!

Lesson #4,587,658, leave the front side of the box open until the cake is inside, THEN fold that flap up and close, and tape, the box! Janice

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 5:45pm
post #16 of 22

Ya-huh!!!! I can't believe how many try to place the cake in or take it out with all four sides up. Not Me!!!!

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 5:56pm
post #17 of 22

Not me either...anymore--LOL! I was just starting to box cakes. I went ahead and put the box together and then tried lifting the cake by the sides to put it in the box. Well my cake board folded in half like a book! My heart dropped icon_cry.gif When I laid the cake down it had a huge crack through the center. I filled it in with BC, smoothed it and until you cut it...you'd never of known what a newbie I was. Lesson learned!

GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 22

Slide that baby in... slide, baby, slide!!!!!

Lisa Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 6:04pm
post #19 of 22

Sliding ever since! I worry sometimes though that people who get the cakes will try to lift them out by the sides. I usually tell them to slide the cake out. I've also started doubling my boards. No more unintentional book cakes for me.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 13 Apr 2005 , 6:08pm
post #20 of 22

I agree..I'd rather be safe than sorry!

Peters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peters Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:50am
post #21 of 22

icon_twisted.gificon_redface.gif maybe need to slide

Peters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peters Posted 23 Jul 2009 , 7:52am
post #22 of 22

just slide, baby icon_biggrin.gifthumbs_up.gif