Anyone Use Wilton's Cake Release?

Decorating By shellypf Updated 8 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm by marthajo1

shellypf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shellypf Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:52am
post #1 of 28

Hello all...just checking to see if anyone uses this stuff and if you are happy with it. I see quite a few make your own release. Anyone use the Wilton in the squeeze bottle?

27 replies
MaraCarter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MaraCarter Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:55am
post #2 of 28

I use it and have had good luck with it. However, I would like to try making the recipe that is posted on here.

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 4:00am
post #3 of 28

I use it also. I bought a bottle when I started my course 1 and now my last night of course 2 is tomorrow night and I still haven't used it all. I really really like it better than anything that I've used before. Of course I'm not super experienced but I do really like this product. I am going to try making my own when this runs out, just to try and see if I like that just as well. Try it ..... You'll like it!! LOL!! icon_lol.gif Do I sound like a commercial???? icon_lol.gificon_lol.gifthumbs_up.gif

Solecito Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Solecito Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:11am
post #4 of 28

I use it when I can't afford to mess up the cake or on delicate cakes like flan cake

Michelle104 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:13am
post #5 of 28

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif YUMMMY!!!!! I LOVE FLAN!!!! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

TJB22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJB22 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:19am
post #6 of 28

I use the cake release in the squeeze bottle and love it. I think when the squeeze stuff runs out I would like to try the spray on cake release not that it is probably any different just easier to spray it on I guess.

Toni icon_biggrin.gif

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:22am
post #7 of 28

2 1/2 Cups Crisco shortening (plain flavor), 1/2 Cup veggie oil and 1/2 cup flour. Mix with wire whisk until all the lumps are out and store in covered container at room temp. Brush on your cake pan and you'll never have a cake stick and you'll never need to buy the stuff again. icon_lol.gif Warning -- this makes a lot!! icon_biggrin.gif

Michelle104 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:27am
post #8 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobwonderbuns

2 1/2 Cups Crisco shortening (plain flavor), 1/2 Cup veggie oil and 1/2 cup flour. Mix with wire whisk until all the lumps are out and store in covered container at room temp. Brush on your cake pan and you'll never have a cake stick and you'll never need to buy the stuff again. icon_lol.gif Warning -- this makes a lot!! icon_biggrin.gif

Could I use the cake release squirt bottle and fill that then store the rest like in a tupperware container? Is is liquid enough to squirt out of the bottle? TIA!!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:30am
post #9 of 28

It has the consistency of a very soft buttercream. It's not liquidy like pouring veggie oil. I brush mine on. I'm sure it could be squirted from a bottle though, but I haven't tried it myself.

Oh yes, and one other thing -- don't mix it in the K-5 mixer to save time -- I did that once and got 5 x the amount I needed...icon_confused.gif (It mixed too much air into it!)

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:32am
post #10 of 28

Any idea how long this home made cake release will last?

Thanks
Marthajo

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:33am
post #11 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by marthajo1

Any idea how long this home made cake release will last?

Thanks
Marthajo

The rest of your natural life. Seriously!! icon_confused.gificon_rolleyes.gif

faitheve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faitheve Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:36am
post #12 of 28

All I have used so far is the pam with flower... it works great... nothing has stuck and I have used it on MANY cakesicon_smile.gif I really like it, isnt it cheaper than the wilton stuff?

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 6:52am
post #13 of 28

The homemade cake release is the way to go! I used tons of the canned spray with oil at about $5 per can (it's expensive over here!) before I finally tried the cake release I'd seen everyone talking about on CC. It works beautifully, it's cheap, and one batch lasts forever!

I do wonder about the shelf life though. Can't help but wonder if the oil/flour combination allows bacteria to grow-anyone know?

Julie icon_smile.gif

marthajo1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:03am
post #14 of 28

I remember this can of Crisco my mom kept in her cupboard when I was a kid... She had it forever...Then one day a little bit of water got in the can...Bad news...but since the recipe doesn't have water I figured it would last for awhile at least!

Thanks bobwonderbuns

koolaidstains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
koolaidstains Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:12am
post #15 of 28

I LOVE Wilton's cake release. One bottle will last me a long time too. I like the convenience of the sprays, but they don't last very long at all. I use my finger to spread the cake release so I don't waste any on a pastry brush. If I have a bigger cake pan to cover I'll use one of those little sponge brushes.

All oils and fats do go bad, some faster than others. I use to buy the big huge containers of olive oil until I read about it. I just thought the stuff lasted forever. Now, I try not to buy anything bigger than I can use up in 6 months, although it's usually less.

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:29am
post #16 of 28

The amounts originally recommended for the homemade recipe is equal parts shortening, oil and flour, apply with a pastry brush. I haven't put it into a bottle, but am sure it would work fine.

This will keep for several months without a problem, but the beauty is that you can mix as little or as much as you want, no need to make a large amount if you don't want to. Janice

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 7:57am
post #17 of 28

I, too, love the Wilton squeeze bottle, but I'm going to have to try the homemade. Never a problem though with the Wilton. (One of the few products of theirs that I don't have any complaints about!)

Sarah

Melody120 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody120 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 8:46am
post #18 of 28

I love the Wilton squeeze cake release. I have never had a cake stick. I bought the new spray kind and it stuck both times I used it. The squeeze bottle will last me for a long time because it doesn't take very much to cover the pans. I"m too lazy to try the homemade. icon_rolleyes.gif

Melody

ribbitfroggie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ribbitfroggie Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 9:15am
post #19 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by faitheve

All I have used so far is the pam with flower... it works great... nothing has stuck and I have used it on MANY cakesicon_smile.gif I really like it, isnt it cheaper than the wilton stuff?

I used to swear by this stuff as well, never had a cake stick ever! It wasn't until I used the homemade cake release that I realized the Pam made the sides of my cakes so crusty and hard. It makes crumb coating so much easier to not have to deal with all those crusty edges. Hope that helps!

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:47pm
post #20 of 28

While oils and fats do go bad, granted, I've found that this particular combination has lasted me maybe 4 or 5 months without incident. I buy the huge jugs of veggie oil and big canisters of Crisco at Sam's Club, and granted I do a fair amount of cakes (not too many, not too few) and other than the oils separating and me stirring it before I use it again I have not once ever had it go bad on me. Ever.

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:50pm
post #21 of 28

Oh yes, the only thing I should mention about the cake release that I use is this: I had a student do a character cake and used my cake release and when she flipped the cake out it came out so fast she almost lost the cake!! I've never had that happen, but thought I would mention it for what it's worth...icon_rolleyes.gif

Michelle104 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:52pm
post #22 of 28
Quote:

Oh yes, the only thing I should mention about the cake release that I use is this: I had a student do a character cake and used my cake release and when she flipped the cake out it came out so fast she almost lost the cake!! I've never had that happen, but thought I would mention it for what it's worth...icon_rolleyes.gif

Now that you've brought that to our attention I would think that is a "good" problem...not necessarily a bad one Huh? thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:57pm
post #23 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

Quote:

Now that you've brought that to our attention I would think that is a "good" problem...not necessarily a bad one Huh? thumbs_up.gif

You'd think! But to students no problem is a good problem... icon_rolleyes.gif

Steady2Hands Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Steady2Hands Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #24 of 28

I bought one bottle of Wilton Cake Release and loved it. Then I tried the homemade recipe (equal parts of Crisco, vegetable oil, and all-purpose flour) and loved it too. Now I just make my own and put it in my Wilton bottle. The "equal parts" recipe works great in the bottle thumbs_up.gif

bobwonderbuns Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:01pm
post #25 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady2Hands

I bought one bottle of Wilton Cake Release and loved it. Then I tried the homemade recipe (equal parts of Crisco, vegetable oil, and all-purpose flour) and loved it too. Now I just make my own and put it in my Wilton bottle. The "equal parts" recipe works great in the bottle thumbs_up.gif

The one thing to remember about the equal parts recipe for homemade cake release is that occasionally cakes WILL stick. Not always, but it does happen, I've had it happen on some of my cakes. With the ratio I gave above, I've not had any cake stick.

pb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pb Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:02pm
post #26 of 28

I bought a bottle a while ago (seems to last for ages) and found it to be great. It is really good to use on the Wilton shaped cake pans by brushing it into all the corners.

Probably more expensive but much quicker and easier than making your own. I don't mind time saving ideas sometimes!!

Penny

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:12pm
post #27 of 28

I'm a total wilton cake release girl. Swear by it. Now I will admit that I have used the homemade stuff too, and it works great. But I can get the cake release at walmart for under $4. And it may sound lazy, but I've got so much to do (kids, cakes, homework, housework, ahhhhhhh) that I try to simplify my life and use as many conveniences as I can.

marthajo1 Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 10:05pm
post #28 of 28

Oops I just used the Wilton stuff on a cake that wasn't supposed to have and preservatives or colors or flavors (artificial ones anyway). I had to cut off cake on all the sides that touched the pans. I hope that will be okay. I don't have time to rebake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%