Likelyhood Of That Happening...

Decorating By mixaleena Updated 7 Apr 2005 , 11:00am by flayvurdfun

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 1:55am
post #1 of 12

Has anyone experienced making a cake for strangers and found that someone got sick? icon_eek.gif What happened? (Just curious how often something like that happens)

11 replies
tanyascakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tanyascakes Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 5:01am
post #2 of 12

Sorry, mixaleena. I have never had that happen-knock on wood. And I hope it never does. But maybe someone was allergic to something in the mix or frosting. I could see that happening.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 5:16am
post #3 of 12

Cant say it has....its just a normal cake so I cant see it happening that easily. Now if it was an extravagant cake with ingredients that people dont eat normally in their eating habit, I could see it happening. But so far...knock knock knock no.

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 5:52am
post #4 of 12

This has never happened with a cake that I have made, but I did get very sick from a cake that my sister-in-law made. I have a severe allergy to orange juice and she had made a cake with mountain dew as one of the ingredients...well, to make a long story short, mountain dew contains orange juice...so I had to make a trip to the ER.

p106_peppy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p106_peppy Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 6:26am
post #5 of 12

I don't see how anyone would get sick from a cake unless tehy had an allergy. What could possibly be in a cooked cake that cann cause illness?

elin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elin Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 7:05am
post #6 of 12

I have never heard any of my cakes did that. But I allways gets sick when I eat the tradisonal Norwegian marzipan cake with whiped cream in it. That is why I never make that cake.

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 12:47pm
post #7 of 12

Just a curious question. Thanks for the responses. I am just paranoid that way, and hesitant to make cakes for strangers out of fear that someone might get sick and blame me. I figured the best way of finding out how often that would happen is to post it here. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again.

Mixee

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 1:08pm
post #8 of 12

Anything is possible

people used to make royal icing with egg whites so salmonella was possible

If A person did not clean well enough and meat had been prepared in the same kitchen there is the possibility of cross contamination and ecoli and salmonella

Filling that need to be refridgerated and weren't could cause serious problems

sweeterbug1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeterbug1977 Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 2:47pm
post #9 of 12

I would think that someone could definitely get sick from some of the fillings if they are not taken care of properly. Those fillings that contain eggs and dairy products (and not refrigerated) could definitely cause someone to get ill.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 3:12pm
post #10 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mixaleena

Just a curious question. Thanks for the responses. I am just paranoid that way, and hesitant to make cakes for strangers out of fear that someone might get sick and blame me. I figured the best way of finding out how often that would happen is to post it here. icon_biggrin.gif

Thanks again.

Mixee

keep a clean kitchen and refridgerate things that need to be and chances are slim it would be the cake or the frosting

ump107 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ump107 Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 10:44am
post #11 of 12

Pasteurized eggs are available if you have some worries about salmonella, they would be a good option. The pasteurization process should eliminate the chances of some illness, they cost a little more too but the peace of mind is worth it. I would think that as long as you clean your kitchen and dont mix baking and preparation of raw meats you should be fine. I am paranoid of people getting sick myself; all of my utensils are washed both before and after I use them. My spatulas, mixing bowl, paddle, whisk and measuring containers are washed and dried before use. My countertops are scrubbed down with hot water and 10:1 bleach solution then dried with clean towels. I know it is in excess but I have had food poising before it is an unpleasant experience. My sister in law is wheat intolerant so if I am cooking when she comes over, the above is done and food that is safe for her is prepared and isolated from other food.

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 11:00am
post #12 of 12

looks like we all have been lucky...the poll is in our favor!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%