Powdered Sugar Shortage - Read Official Reason Here!

Decorating By surfergina Updated 27 Jan 2006 , 12:20am by chaptlps

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:50pm
post #1 of 22

I contacted the sugar company to find out why we're experiencing powdered sugar shortage. They kindly replied it back to me and here it is:

Gina - The sugar shortage is due to Hurricane's Katrina and Rita. When Katrina hit, it closed one sugar factory in Louisiana (which is just starting to operate again) and closed our sugar refinery down for approximately 3 weeks. With the hurricane, FEMA took a majority of the trucks, so that when we were back producing, we had a difficult time being able to transport product. When Rita hit, it further hampered our efforts to supply sugar to our customers. It also didn't help that the timing of the hurricanes was in our busy season of trying to produce sugar for the holidays.

Now that the holidays are over, we are doing our best to get all of our customers back in stock with sugar. You should start seeing a massive improvement on the sugar shelf within weeks.

Thank you!

Angela Hatfield
Imperial Sugar Co.

What do you think of this?

21 replies
BellaRosa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaRosa Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #2 of 22

I haven't seen any shortages in eastern NC. I use the GV brand from Walmart, but the Domino & Dixie are always there too.

BellaRosa

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 22

Interesting.
But, here in the west we still use a lot of "beet sugar" (there's a plant in town)
So basically we haven't noticed a shortage here but i guess if you are a "cane sugar" purist that would be a problem though. o well, it should right itself pretty soon.
Happy Baking.

christiethomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiethomas Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:06pm
post #4 of 22

I've definitely noticed a shortage where I am. I buy whatever I find on the shelves. It's rare that I find it at Wal-mart ... and some of the grocery stores are always out, also.

Roxy531985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxy531985 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:11pm
post #5 of 22

I am in the transportation industry, and I can confirm that after the hurricanes we had down here (I'm in FL) we did have a SERIOUS shortage of trucks. FEMA paid the trucks at least twice what I can for a load, and they also paid them AT LEAST $600 per day for sitting with a load on, if not more. So, I pretty much got hit double by the hurricanes!

Roxy531985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Roxy531985 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 22

I am in the transportation industry, and I can confirm that after the hurricanes we had down here (I'm in FL) we did have a SERIOUS shortage of trucks. FEMA paid the trucks at least twice what I can for a load, and they also paid them AT LEAST $600 per day for sitting with a load on, if not more. So, I pretty much got hit double by the hurricanes!

chaptlps Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:14pm
post #7 of 22

must be that cane sugar is exclusive in the southern part of the us. where they don't really have access to beet sugar or something. wonder why the stores didn't at least try to get some of their sugar from california or colorado or nebraska or something.

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:16pm
post #8 of 22

New Orleans also is a huge port for alot of ships bringing supplies in to the US.

I did see a sign at an A&P store near me that there would be a shortage. No problems or signs at the Walmart near me, though.

my3bibs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
my3bibs Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:17pm
post #9 of 22

I was wondering about that!

I thought it was just because of the holidays....I have noticed the prices have gone up ever so slightly.... icon_confused.gif

christiethomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiethomas Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #10 of 22

Most of the sugar that our Wal-Mart does receive now is from California ... in the pink and white bags (CK I think) very little of Imperial or Domino

CSN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CSN Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:20pm
post #11 of 22

I also noticed that around Xmas time. I haven't checked since, so I don't know, but I thought it was that one store and I thought it was weird for them not to have it on stock. But that letter you received pretty much explains it. I'm surprised the shortages aren't even worse with those 2 storms hitting and affecting produce. Thanks for info.

cocopuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocopuff Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:26pm
post #12 of 22

No powdered sugar shortage here in Michigan.

surfergina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
surfergina Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 9:31pm
post #13 of 22

Powdered sugar shortage here in Daytona Beach, FL area. Only small boxed Domino kind - charging $1.39. I'm going to drive to Orlando (yep, that mean 45 mins drive) and try to get it as I can.

pinknlee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinknlee Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 11:56pm
post #14 of 22

The shelves have been emptier where I live in Oregon. There have been some pretty good sales of it though. I thought it was the holidays, but it makes sense. Thanks for letting us know that information.

texastwinkie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texastwinkie Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 12:10am
post #15 of 22

Wow! I had no idea there was a shortage...never occured to me to ask my local Walmart why they have been out of it. I just assumed they were "out" of it and waiting for the shipment to arrive. I have been able to find it at my local Tom Thumb store. I'm gonna start paying more attention!

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 12:14am
post #16 of 22

Walmart here in East Texas has their brand and just started carrying
C & H (beet sugar). Doesn't have Imperial--which I prefer. Kroger's has it and so does Brookshire's, but it's higher.

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 1:04am
post #17 of 22

I just so happened to catch an episode of The Secret Life of... the other night and the topic was sugar.

Sugar cane is produced only in the humid Gulf states of Florida, Lousiana, and out in Hawaii.

C&H sugar is not beet sugar ~ it is cane sugar (the host went to their sugar processing plant and sugar cane fields in Hawaii). It was really neat seeing the C&H plant and going through the processing of sugar from field to store.

I have most definitely noticed a shortage of sugar here in Houston. And no Imperial sugar at all!

It was a really awesome show...those of you with FoodTV ought to try to catch the repeats!

~ Sherri

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 2:46am
post #18 of 22

I caught that show as well. Very interesting. And there is a definate shortage here as well. Our local grocery stores are carrying some crazy offbrand called Harvey's and there is no powdered sugar in our local stores. I'm hoping to get lucky tomorrow at Sam's Club.

BigChefBob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BigChefBob Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 2:50am
post #19 of 22

No Shortage here in Massachusetts just bought some Dominoe for $1.29 for a 2Lb bag

cat121481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cat121481 Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 2:57am
post #20 of 22

I can get GV and Domino in 2lb bags here at wal-mart but, they have not had dixie or 1lb boxes since around christmas. I thought they had stopped carrying it.

VACakelady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
VACakelady Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 8:22am
post #21 of 22

No shortage here in Richmond VA, thankfully. I did notice today that the price went up from $1 to $1.07 for a 2lb bag at Wal-Mart.

How do you know if it's cane or beet sugar and what's the difference (other than it's from different sources)?

chaptlps Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 12:20am
post #22 of 22

va,
it will say on the package somewhere what the source for the sugar is. As for the difference, I don't really know.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%