Dutch Processed Drama?

Decorating By JustJaimeLyn Updated 25 Jan 2006 , 5:10pm by ncdessertdiva

JustJaimeLyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JustJaimeLyn Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:31am
post #1 of 13

I need dutch-processed cocoa for about 6 recipes I want to try. However, in my area, the local grocery stores don't carry it. I've tried Walmart, KMart, Super Target, Harris Teeter, Food Lion & Lowe's Foods. Nothing. Where does everyone else buy their dp cocoa? Should I just try to find it online? Help!

12 replies
snowboarder Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snowboarder Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:41am
post #2 of 13

Do you have a Trader Joe's or Whole Foods near you? Both of these stores carry it.

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:42am
post #3 of 13

I get mine from my local health food stores...plus it's in bulk, so you only get as much as you need! thumbs_up.gif

Smaller health food stores are typically privately owned, so you can bargain a bit. I bought a HUGE 10kg bag of gorgeous dark Dutch cocoa at 1/2 the price it would sell in the bin, because I wanted a large quantity. icon_biggrin.gif

JustJaimeLyn Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:45am
post #4 of 13

Well the closest Whole Foods store is about two hours away so that would have to be a big trip for me. And our health foods stores only carry vitamins. I'm in a little bumpkin country town so some ingredients are near impossible to find. I live right outside of Greensboro in NC and even Greensboro doesn't have a Whole Foods. I guess I'll make the trip this week! Thank you for the suggestions!

bakersofcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakersofcakes Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:54am
post #5 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I've tried Walmart, KMart, Super Target, Harris Teeter, Food Lion & Lowe's Foods

Would Sam's Club have it? Even if you're not a "member" you can buy for an added 10% of the marked price. I know they carry Hershey's unsweetened cocoa here (farther north) year round, but they have such a huge baking dept., they might have dutch-process cocoa too. Funny thing, at Costco, you can only SOMETIMES buy cocoa at Christmas.

BTW, does Nestle make a dutch-process cocoa?

JustJaimeLyn Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:57am
post #6 of 13

I'm ashamed to say I've never been to Sam's Club and there is one about 30 minutes from me. I will definately try it since my mother has a membership. Thank you for the suggestion, I never thought to try there, and it's much closer than Whole Foods? Do they have good deals on butter and things like that as well? I'm paying about $4/lb right now and could use a deal!

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 4:57am
post #7 of 13

I use the Hershey's Special Dark Cocoa. Do you have a Kroger's there? That is where I get it here.

bakersofcakes Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:08am
post #8 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

Do they have good deals on butter and things like that as well? I'm paying about $4/lb right now and could use a deal!

Yes!!! I get all of my butter at either Sam's or Costco. You can get unsalted, salted, whole pound, & 4 quarters in a lb. They come in packs of 4 lb. & I'm pretty sure they were less than $8 (@ Costco) a week or so ago. I can't say for sure, but Sam's has either 3 or 4 lb. in a pack. In any case, they are both much cheaper than any grocery store!

I prefer Sam's because they have Domino brand granulated sugar (10 lb.& 25? lb. bags), powdered sugar & light brown sugar(7 or 8 lb.bags). Costco is much closer, though, so I get my big list together when anyone (my dad icon_rolleyes.gif ) is going by Sam's!

BTW, anyone need Nestle choc. chips? They both have huge bags of those too & they're MUCH CHEAPER there than at any sale, anywhere, I've found yet. icon_wink.gif

-bakersofcakes icon_smile.gif

bakersofcakes Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:11am
post #9 of 13

Forgot to add: Sam's had Gold Medal flour the last time I was there.

Anyone know where I could buy large quantities of Unbleached All-Purpose flour?

Thanks!

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:20am
post #10 of 13

This might sound silly, but have you tried looking for "alkalized cocoa" ? It's the same thing as Dutch...I'm just asking because somethimes its labeled that way, just in case you didn't know.

It sure is strange that none of those stores carry it.

Good Luck

JustJaimeLyn Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:24am
post #11 of 13

Yes I've tried the alkalized too and no one carries it. Baking isn't very popular around here. The closet cake decorator lives about two hours away and we have one bakery and everything they make comes from a mix and it's very obvious, they are slowly going out of business. Most of the people in my county come to me or the grocery store for cakes even without decoration because there is no where else to get them. Hence, the need for large quantities of butter! LOL!

And you said the magic word with butter, I'm headed there Thursday after I get my mom's card. Sam's Club is about to be my best friend!

bakersofcakes Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 3:50pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Quote:

I get all of my butter at either Sam's or Costco. You can get unsalted, salted, whole pound, & 4 quarters in a lb. They come in packs of 4 lb. & I'm pretty sure they were less than $8 (@ Costco) a week or so ago.

icon_smile.gif Checked the receipt and on Jan. 22, 4-1 lb. packs of butter quarters was $6.59.

ncdessertdiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ncdessertdiva Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 5:10pm
post #13 of 13

Hi JaimeLyn,
Have you tried The Fresh Market? They usually have more "high end" items than the regular grocery stores do. Check them out and speak with manager, they are relatively small, they may be willing to work with you. Also, if you have a BJ's club in your area. . . I get a lot of my baking products from BJ's as well as Sam's. We have a Costco but we're not members since Sam's and BJ's are close by.
Good luck!
Leslie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%