Luster Dusts! Help!

Decorating By ken Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 3:52pm by fytar

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:31pm
post #1 of 14

OK...I am about to order some Luster Dust (Gold) from Sugarcraft, but I don't know which one to get. I see Aztec Gold, Golden Bronze, Gold/Green, and Old Gold. I'm guessing I should go with Old Gold. I need it for a Navy Anchor. I have no idea which one to get. What is the one you all use? Thanks - Kenya

13 replies
ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:37pm
post #2 of 14

I would like to know too. I picked up a couple at a local supply store (limited color selection) just to play but would like to know what the most used colors are.

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:42pm
post #3 of 14

BUMP! This is something I would really like to know also, so Hopefully there is an addict out there somewhere who can help???? icon_lol.gif

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:45pm
post #4 of 14

Kenya, I have ordered Holly green, shrimp, pearl, silver and just gold. I thought the gold was shinny. I am not sure if you want shinny gold or not. I think it depends if you want a matt finish gold or a shinny one.

Sylvie

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:11pm
post #5 of 14

I've used Old Gold and it's a muted gold but still shiny. It would depend on how rustic you wanted the anchor to look. If you can imagine a brass candlestick that's aged just a little bit, that's what old gold looks like to me.

cakelady7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady7 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:12pm
post #6 of 14

HI, I used Aztec gold on the Eagle, Globe, and Anchor on one of my cakes. It's in my pics so you can take a look if you want.

Lisa Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:34pm
post #7 of 14

cakelady7...I love the look of the aztec gold. Much better than the old gold for an anchor thumbs_up.gif .

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:44pm
post #8 of 14

I got a question, too! The "Old Gold" looks more like a pearl color as far as I can tell (we have a local place that carries some of this), so is that the closest I am going to get to a silver color? Or is there a silver color? The store near me is limited in what they keep in stock as far as the luster dusts are concerned.

Do you "paint" that on royal icing after it hardens? I'm doing a maintenance badge for a group at the airbase next week and I kinda wanted that metallic look to it. Any suggestions?

cakelady7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelady7 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:59pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks Lisa! I was lucky. I am just starting out, and a lot of things like luster dust are new to me. The place I bought the dust at only had aztec gold, so I really didn't have a choice. It worked out, so I'm not complaining. icon_biggrin.gif

fytar: For ths "silver" look on my Eagle Globe and Anchor I used super pearl Pearl Dust.

ken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ken Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:00pm
post #10 of 14

I want the anchor to be as gold as possible. Not old looking. I think I saw a Super Gold too after I wrote the forum. I'm still a little stuck on what to get. My husband says I need something like a yellow gold or something.

Lisa Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:23pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by fytar

I got a question, too! The "Old Gold" looks more like a pearl color as far as I can tell (we have a local place that carries some of this), so is that the closest I am going to get to a silver color? Or is there a silver color? The store near me is limited in what they keep in stock as far as the luster dusts are concerned.

Do you "paint" that on royal icing after it hardens? I'm doing a maintenance badge for a group at the airbase next week and I kinda wanted that metallic look to it. Any suggestions?

The old gold I bought at Sugarcraft is not at all like a pearl color. It is very gold. For silver, I used Nu Silver. You can see that on the fondant spoons on one of the baby shower cakes in my photos.

Yes, you'd paint the dusts on after the royal hardens but you'll need to thin it with a liquid that dissolves quickly like vodka, clear vanilla, lemon juice...

Lisa Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:26pm
post #12 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by ken

I want the anchor to be as gold as possible. Not old looking. I think I saw a Super Gold too after I wrote the forum. I'm still a little stuck on what to get. My husband says I need something like a yellow gold or something.

The old gold will be very shiny but it almost has the slightest touch of orange to it. Super gold might be the way to go if you want a more yellow gold.

Lisa Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:33pm
post #13 of 14

Oh I also used nu silver on the chocolate wrench for the mechanic in my photos.

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:52pm
post #14 of 14

Thanks, Lisa, I guess I got confused on which color I saw...they definately didn't have the Nu Silver color. I think I'm gonna call and see if they can order some with their next shipment. Thanks so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%