1St Time With Fondant

Decorating By Jill-o Updated 26 Jan 2006 , 9:10pm by Devonee

Jill-o Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jill-o Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:10pm
post #1 of 13

Hello All!
I am throwing my sister a baby shower and I am thinking about using fondant on one of the cakes. I have never used it or tasted a cake with it on it. I was wondering how it tastes. Another problem I have is I have never been able to make a bc icing that tasted good. Is it suppose to taste like the cakes you get from a bakery? Because mine didn't, and I have tried several recipes. Also I was thinking of using the fondant from the box that wilton makes, is it any good? And can I dye it, and if so how? Sorry so many questions, but I know there are a lot of us on this site, and I have seen a lot of cakes and I know there is a lot of talent here! icon_biggrin.gif Any way last question can you put an edible image directly onto fondant? Thank you all for your time and advice!

12 replies
swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:18pm
post #2 of 13

A lot of people don't like the texture of fondant and I find it takes a LOT of flavoring to get it to taste good. There is a Marshmallow fondant recipe from this website tastes great & has a nicer texture I think. The Wilton fondant is good but you MUST flavor it!!! You can add the coloring & flavoring when you are kneading it before you roll it out. As for BC I use the plain old Wilton recipe & love it!

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:30pm
post #3 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill-o

Hello All!
I am throwing my sister a baby shower and I am thinking about using fondant on one of the cakes. I have never used it or tasted a cake with it on it. I was wondering how it tastes. Another problem I have is I have never been able to make a bc icing that tasted good. Is it suppose to taste like the cakes you get from a bakery? Because mine didn't, and I have tried several recipes. Also I was thinking of using the fondant from the box that wilton makes, is it any good? And can I dye it, and if so how? Sorry so many questions, but I know there are a lot of us on this site, and I have seen a lot of cakes and I know there is a lot of talent here! icon_biggrin.gif Any way last question can you put an edible image directly onto fondant? Thank you all for your time and advice!

Hi there Jill
I am in Melbourne Australia. I have tried two fondants from the USA, one is the Wilton and the other FondX. I must say, that Wilton's tastes terrible!! sort of like wax, i wouldnt recommend using it, fondx is a lot better, actually better tasting than some of the fondants that we get here in Australia. I never understood why people in the USA went through the trouble of making MMF until i actually got to try the Wilton's fondant. Terrible stuff, if that was what i had available here to use, then i'd be making my own too.
Good luck
Nati

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:41pm
post #4 of 13

Jill-o, I have tried Wilton's fondant and YUCK what a horrible taste. I now make MMF and everyone I have served my cakes with love it. It isn't hard to make and I find it easy to work with. As for your BC I use the wilton recipe and people like it.

Hope this helps.
Sylvie

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 13

Jill-o,

I have only had 1 experience with fondant, and it was Wiltons. I DID NOT like working with it at all, and the taste is HORRIFIC! My family actually had to "peel" the cake before they would eat it. I haven't worked up the nerve to try the other fondants mentioned on this site yet, because well, the wiltons has just about turned me against Fondant all together! I think I will eventually try the MMF, but I still have a bad taste in my mouth right now! icon_razz.gif

Jill-o Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 13

Thanks for all the help! is there a certain brand of butter or shortening you guys use? Maybe that's what I am doing wrong. Thanks again.

Euphoriabakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Euphoriabakery Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 13

I use albertson's butter and crisco shortening, half and half. I add half vanilla and half almon extract to the Wilton recipe. also, it might help to make sure you are using cane sugar and not beet, beet comes out slightly chalkier.

As for the fondant, Wilton's fondant is horrible! I would rather cover my cake in wax it would taste better! Even flavored it still tastes bad.

I would suggest making your own if you want to use fondant. The other brands seem to be quite pricey, maybe someone here can tell you where to get the other brands at a good price?

I haven't tried the MMF, but it has such great reviews on this site. I have been wanting to try it for awhile now.

ttatummm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ttatummm Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 13

Hi Jill,

I'm new to fondant also just made my first cake with fondant 2 weeks ago. I'm taking the 3rd Wilton class now. I decided to make Marshmallow Fondant. I'm really glad I did. It is really easy to make, it taste good, flavored or plain. It is a lot less expensive than the Wilton's fondant.

The other person in my class used Wilton's fondant and I asked for a taste. I could not believe that people pay so much for something that taste so bad.

LisaMS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LisaMS Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 6:18pm
post #9 of 13

You asked about buttercream recipes. The recipe I always use is 1 cup Crisco, 2 sticks Blue Bonnet Margarine, 2 tsp pure vanilla extract, 2 tsp pure almond extract, and 2 TB milk with a 2 lb bag of confectioners sugar. If you don't have a large upright mixer like a Kitchenaid, divide this in half to mix up.

Jill-o Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 3:32am
post #10 of 13

Thanks for all the ideas! What recipe do you guys use for fondant?

SheilaF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SheilaF Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 4:38am
post #11 of 13

I've tried the wilton fondant and agree, YUCK! We only use Marshmallow Fondant now (and I think if you do a search, you'll find the recipe on this site). It's incredibly easy. Just messy if you have to do it by hand. ANd everyone LOVES the marshmallow fondant. I've only used it a few times, but i've never had anyone peel it off and say yuck. The kids at my oldest daughters school thought it was "way cool" when we did her cell project cake. Worked great for the cell wall and cell membrane icon_smile.gif

mistygaildunn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mistygaildunn Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 4:44pm
post #12 of 13

My BC recipe is similar to the one above, except I use real butter, not margarine.I use the store brand, and the same amount of Crisco. If your cake isn't very big you will only need 1/2 c butter, 1/2 c Crisco,1 tsp vanilla 4 c sifted powdered sugar, Mix butter and Crisco and then add vanilla, then add sugar one cup at a time. ONce mixed add 1-2 tbsp of milk and mix on med-high speed until fluffy. If you don't want it quiet as sweet, then omit some of the sugar. By the way real vanilla makes a difference in the taste of your icing. The real stuff is good. This recipe makes 3-4 cups of icing.

Devonee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Devonee Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 9:10pm
post #13 of 13

I've never used the Wilton fondant but I have made my own and made MMF and I much prefered the taste (so did my DH) and I liked working with it better than the regular fondant. I just used the tutorial on this site for the MMF recipe and it was good.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%