Newbies Video On How To Mix & Paint With Luster Dust

Decorating By makenice99 Updated 7 Mar 2007 , 12:07am by scgriffiths

makenice99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
makenice99 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 25

I love this place !!!! Everyone one is so helpful and giving. I finally have something to share. Well it might be on this forum already but I know I was so excited when I saw it. (Ok, I was glad I wouldnt have to waste another $ on luster dust.)

Here is a link to a video on how to mix and paint with luster dust. Hope it helps.

http://www.kitchengifts.com

Click on decorating with luster dust to launch the video.

24 replies
archanac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
archanac Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 25

The video clip is great (it did take some time to buffer though)! I like visuals. Thank you for sharing!

aliciag Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aliciag Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:00pm
post #3 of 25

thank you. I apreciate it

dabear Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dabear Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:04pm
post #4 of 25

Thankx for the link. It's nice to have a video, how to!

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:27pm
post #5 of 25

That is so handy. It is sometimes difficult to explain a technique by just typing out directions. I am more of a visual person so I think this video will be really helpful for anyone using dusts for the first time. Thanks for finding and sharing that link. I swear there couldn't be a question anyone would have on any subject that couldn't be found somewhere on the Internet.

MavericksMommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MavericksMommy Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:43pm
post #6 of 25

Thanks for posting that link! I just started using it and have been trying to figure out how to get the right amount of liquid mixed with the dust. I always seem to get too much. I think this will work much better!

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 25

Thank You, I found that very informative!

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:52pm
post #8 of 25

it is nice to have a visual- wish i would have seen that when i first started. however i would recommend using a new clean dropper (i bought mine at hobby lobby - 4 pk for $2) to add the alcohol instead. when she was demonstrating using 1/8 of a cup of alcohol from another cup, i noticed how much of the dust was dropping in there, and i am sure that the remaining alcohol was dumped when finished...?.... not added back into the bottle. the dust and extracts are expensive and i like to waste as little as possible.

i bought small containers at hobby lobby for craft paint @ .50 each . it is about 6 or so containers the same size as the luster dust containers, but all conected and each lid opens separately. i add the dusts to the container, drop in the alcohol w/ a dropper and then close it shut when i am done and save it for another project. if it dries, i add more alcohol.

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 25

cool link. thumbs_up.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:14pm
post #10 of 25

Excellent timing! I bought my first Luster Dust this past weekend and will be experimenting to see if I can come close to some of the awesome creations I see from you folks!

bjfranco Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bjfranco Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:28pm
post #11 of 25

This is the confusing part. Luster Dust, like the Wilton brand & that you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, is not the same as Pearl Dust. I use Pearl Dust only and it comes in all colors including the gold that she was using. Luster Dust does not do as well with this technique as Pearl Dust.
Does this make sense? There is a difference between Luster & Pearl Dust.

I will try and get more info and post it. I have it somewhere on this computer. icon_confused.gif

HTH
bj icon_wink.gif

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:40pm
post #12 of 25

Thanks for posting that. It looks so easy. I was always afraid to even try it for fear I would ruin something. Can't wait to try it out now.

melysa Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:41pm
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjfranco

This is the confusing part. , like the Wilton brand & that you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, is not the same as . I use only and it comes in all colors including the gold that she was using. does not do as well with this technique as .
Does this make sense? There is a difference between Luster & .

I will try and get more info and post it. I have it somewhere on this computer. icon_confused.gif

HTH
bj icon_wink.gif

actually the wilton brand that is available at craft stores is not luster dust. it is shimmer dust. totally and completely different, it is more like a cake sprinkle/ large grained glitter.

the dusts that work with alcohol or extracts are luster dusts, pearl dusts, sparkle and petal dusts. NOT WILTON SHIMER DUST...it will disolve and get gloppy- you apply that by sprinkling it over a surface slightly moist with water. personally i think that product is not worth the money or effort.

HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:42pm
post #14 of 25
Quote:

This is the confusing part. luster dust , like the Wilton brand & that you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, is not the same as pearl dust. I use only and it comes in all colors including the gold that she was using. It does not do as well with this technique as pearl dust.
Does this make sense? There is a difference between Luster & pearl dust .

HTH
bj icon_wink.gif

Wilton does not sell a true luster dust. Their shimmer dust can't be used for painting. Real luster dust (like that sold on cake central) works well for painting, just as well as pearl dust.

Edit: yeah, what melysa said!

bjfranco Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #15 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by melysa

Quote:

This is the confusing part. , like the Wilton brand & that you buy at Michaels or Hobby Lobby, is not the same as . I use only and it comes in all colors including the gold that she was using. does not do as well with this technique as .
Does this make sense? There is a difference between Luster & .

HTH
bj icon_wink.gif

actually the wilton brand that is available at craft stores is not . it is . totally and completely different, it is more like a cake sprinkle/ large grained glitter.

You are correct with the Shimmer Dust. It has moved so far back into my closet I forgot the name of it. icon_lol.gif However, there are some luster dust that I have that do not work as well as the Pearl even when mixing with the evap. liquid.

Here is a previous post I found on the subject here on CC:

http://forum.cakecentral.com/the-difference-in-petal-luster-ftopicp-1494501.html#1494501

Just trying to add in more information because this was a confusing topic for me when I first started. icon_smile.gif

bj

the dusts that work with alcohol or extracts are , , sparkle and petal dusts. NOT WILTON SHIMER DUST...it will disolve and get gloppy- you apply that by sprinkling it over a surface slightly moist with water. personally i think that product is not worth the money or effort.

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #16 of 25

This post here helps clear up the confusion onthe different dusts. The only thing we failed to cover was the WIlton Shimmer dust--which is nothing like any of the other dusts! Wilton Shimmer Dust is literally ground up cake sparkles. It can be sprinkled on buttercream iced cakes or for fondant cakes, spritz the area to be covered with a fine mist of water and then sprinkle them on. DO NOT mix shimmer dust with alcohol or clear extracts. You will end up with a big clumpy mess. They really are just meant for sprinkling on.

Here is the link to the other post: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-54059.html

And I have to agree with melysa, while I agree the video is very informative and helpful, they are being wasteful with a product that can be very expensive. I do something similar to what meylsa does nad try not to waste the dust.

bjfranco Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 6:49pm
post #17 of 25

Yikes, sorry. <waving my white flag>

I was trying to explain that there is a difference between luster dust and pearl dust. I should not have used the Wilton brand for an example - like the other memeber I do not think shimmer dust is worth the money.

bj

melysa Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 7:06pm
post #18 of 25

bjfranco, no need for a flag...LOL, it IS confusing stuff!

bjfranco Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:32pm
post #19 of 25

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif OK, I'm lowering it. icon_biggrin.gif

bj

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 10:50pm
post #20 of 25

I relieved this thread was started! One of the reasons I had never tried working with this stuff is because the different names were so confusing! thanks to my CC family for helping me out!

SophieBelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SophieBelle Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #21 of 25

How nice of you! I like the video a lot. It's so helpful to see techniques in action.

ennove11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ennove11 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:38pm
post #22 of 25

Thanks for the link. I was reading about the lustre dust here:
http://www.kitchengifts.com/lustredust.html

They claim "the US has declared Lustre Dust as an inedible product.
The Europeans have not."
Is that true? Anyone know anything about that? Is it possible that it's not that great for you?

freddyfl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddyfl Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #23 of 25

Just marking it so I can find this post again in my file. THanks for all the info. No wonder I had a big mess the last time I tried to paiint with the wilton dusts. flipping blippin bleep bleep.

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 11:57pm
post #24 of 25

Thank you everyone for trying to clear this all up. There are too many products that can get confused. The video was a big help, and so is the info on this thread.

scgriffiths Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scgriffiths Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 12:07am
post #25 of 25

Thanks for the video. I have some luster dust, but haven't used it yet. I think I'll go bake some cookies.....

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%