Reynolds Non-Stick Foil For Lily Nail Flowers

Decorating By PurplePetunia Updated 11 Apr 2005 , 1:05am by susgene

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 5 Apr 2005 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 7

Has anyone tried using the new non-stick foil by Reynold to line the lily nail for flowers like lilies, petunias, morning glories and pointsettias?
We learned in course 3 that sometimes the flower sticks to the foil, so my instructor told us to rub a tiny, tiny bit of shortening on the foil before piping the flower. Then after it has dried for about 24 hours, peel open the foil at the bottom of the flower to let it dry.
The shortening is such a tiny bit that it doesn't break down the royal icing and also because the foil is peeled away.
I have to do some of these nail flowers for my aunt who also decorates, but she probably won't be using them right away. She just wants to have them on hand for when she needs them, so I don't want to use the shortening.
I bought the new non-stick foil today, but I want to know if anyone else has tried it before???
Thanks!

6 replies
tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 1:09am
post #2 of 7

Tracy4

I just use a thin foil on my royal icing flowers. I have never had the problem of them sticking. I sit at my dining room table & make A LOT of flowers. I spread out wax paper on the table then I lay my flowers still in the tinfoil on that & leave them for a few hours. Before I go to bed I just lay a piece of wax paper over them so nothing settles on them. I normally leave them on the table 2 days then I put them in the freezer! When I need them I just get them out of the freezer & waaalaa a beautiful cake!!
~TC~

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 6:17am
post #3 of 7

I agree with the Turtle, that it is really the thickness of your foil that is an issue and it still amazes me how many people are told to use shortening on their foil when making royal icing flowers. I would not ever, in any cirumstances do this.
If you use heavy duty foil, yes you will have issues. If you really pack even the lightweight foil, you will have issues. You really are aiming for a foil cup made from the lightweight foil, usually the cheaper kind from a dollar type store, is the absolute best.
But personally, I wouldn't freeze royal icing flowers. The two things that break down royal icing flowers are moisture and grease. I am not saying that this won't work for a timeframe, but generally if you want your royal icing decorations at their best, you avoid refridgerating or freezing them and you also avoid leaving them for extended lengths of time on top of buttercream iced cakes, because everntually the buttercream will break down the royal, particularly with thinner or more delicate decorations.
There really is no need to freeze these flowers, they keep well for years, stored in a cardboard box or tin or container, kept away from any form of direct light and out of areas of high humidity.
Freezing buttercream roses is a good thing though, the only caution being that some of the deeper colours like red, may bleed when the rose is on the cake and cause some staining.
Anyway, this is just my opinion based on my experiences.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

PurplePetunia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PurplePetunia Posted 6 Apr 2005 , 7:07pm
post #4 of 7

Thank you both for your advice.
I did use a cheap foil from the dollar store before and it was good. (I put a tiny bit of shortening on it).
My husband picked up the non-stick yesterday and the first thing I noticed about it was that it was a good bit heavier than what I normally use.
I guess I'll just have to give it a try and see which one I like best.
I'm probably going to do some flowers on Thurs. night.
I'll post my results.
Thanks again! icon_smile.gif

AngelWendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngelWendy Posted 7 Apr 2005 , 10:17am
post #5 of 7

Please let me know if the non stick foil works. I'll be starting to make flowers in the lily nails soon. icon_wink.gif

Thanks,
~AngelWendy

Apieceofcake2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apieceofcake2 Posted 10 Apr 2005 , 11:54pm
post #6 of 7

I always use the Wilton Candy Foils. They work really well for me. icon_lol.gif

susgene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susgene Posted 11 Apr 2005 , 1:05am
post #7 of 7

I had a horrible time when I first started making the flowers with regular foil... my flowers would crumble. That Reynolds Release came out at just the right time for me. I always use it when making the flowers. I found they take a little longer to dry completely, but the flowers just slip right off perfectly everytime!

Try it and let us now if it works well for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%