Rose Or Leaf First?

Decorating By heathercarnold Updated 28 Jan 2006 , 2:49am by DiscoLady

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:54am
post #1 of 12

This is just a simple question..When doing cakes with BC roses, do you put the roses on first and then fill in the leaves?

11 replies
kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:58am
post #2 of 12

Yes, I do roses first then add my leaves, that way i can fill in where it is needed. I usually like to do 2 to 3 leaves for each rose depending on weither I am doing one rose or a bouquet of roses.

heathercarnold Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:00am
post #3 of 12

Thanks!

aslate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aslate Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:01am
post #4 of 12

Put your roses on the cake first. Then you can go back and fill in any holes with leaves.

Just a tip here-----I pipe a ball of icing onto the cake where I intend to put roses before I apply them. It makes them stand up a bit off of the cake. I just happen to like the way it looks versus having them flat on the cake. icon_smile.gif

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 2:08am
post #5 of 12

Definately do what aslate said! I use my green icing with my leaf tip (doesn't matter what tip you use) and just squeeze away until I get a mound big enough to hold all my roses. I place my roses (odd numbers) and then my leaves. Just make sure your roses are crusted before you add the leaves especially in between the roses!

This is what works for me!

Amy

heathercarnold Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:46am
post #6 of 12

Can I freeze my roses? I've heard mixed answers. My wilton instructor said that if we put BC in the fridge or freezer it would get "wet" when it came out? Is this a false statement?

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 8:29am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by heathercarnold

Can I freeze my roses? I've heard mixed answers. My wilton instructor said that if we put BC in the fridge or freezer it would get "wet" when it came out? Is this a false statement?

If you are in a hot climate there maybe some condensation on them. It will evaporate in no time.

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 10:57am
post #8 of 12

I freeze them all the time. I actually prefer to freeze them because they're easier to handle when placing on the cake. And yes, I also add the leaves after the flowers.

swoboda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swoboda Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:27pm
post #9 of 12

I freeze them before putting them on the cake too - I agree it makes them easier to handle (and if you happen to handle them with clumsy fingers like me it makes them a little less delicate). I've never had a problem with water on them! Mind you I don't leave them in the freezer very long either..

Sherry0565 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sherry0565 Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 1:39pm
post #10 of 12

I Freeze my roses also. It just makes it easier to handle them, and I am a firm believer that EASIER is better! I've never had a problem with condensation afterward, but I would imagine it could be a problem here during the hot summer months.
I also add the leaves after the Roses, mainly because I'm not a real good judge of spacing, and adding them afterward I don't have to be. Plus, you never know when you will need to add a leaf to cover up part of your icing mound!

heathercarnold Posted 25 Jan 2006 , 10:50pm
post #11 of 12

Thanks everyone for the great advice!!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 2:49am
post #12 of 12

I've started airdrying my buttercream roses about 3-4 days before I use them. I also add royal powder to the icing so they crust more. They dry really well and then I just lift them up and place them on the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%