Liquid Egg Whites Disaster...sort Of

Decorating By Caribou Updated 24 Jan 2006 , 3:31am by bubblezmom

Caribou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Caribou Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 5:51pm
post #1 of 3

Hey All!

Well, I've been really sick for a few weeks ( not anything communicable) and haven't felt up to baking. Yesterday, I forced myself out of bed and baked 72 XL Chocolate Chip, Butterscotch Chip and Carmel Swirl chip cookies. Some Choc alone and the others mix. I've never made them so perfectly in my life. Thought I was back on track health wise and baking wise. LOL!

So I wake up today and realize I feel a tad worse because of all the baking I did yesterday. I have Fibromyalgia and what I do today can put me in the bed for a week. One of those things. Anyway, I have a friend that is due to have her baby on Wednesday and I figured I would make her a cake and ice the sugar cookies I made on Saturday for her. I start making two cake mixes, not too much doctoring because I didn't have the capacity for it ( should have listened to that intuition), but I used milk instead of water, added vanilla and lemon extracts, that sort of thing. I start to put in the egg whites ( liquid) and realize I couldn't remember the conversion ie, how many tablespoons equal one egg white. THe box has a conversion for a whole egg but not an egg white so I went to google and discovered it was basically 2 tablespoons of Liquid egg white to equal one egg white.

My 5 year old comes into the kitchen and counting to 100. She starts over several times and I catch up to her on the 3rd round and count to 8 with adding my tablespoons of egg white. It wasn't until they were almost done baking that I realized that I only put in 8 tablespoons... It was SUPPOSED to be 16. LOL! I was so freaked out wondering what it would do to the cakes, if they would rise, if they would taste the same and I guess a credit to the generic and forgiving process of using cake mixes, the cakes look absolutely normal. I tasted one of the cupcakes with some leftover buttercream and it tastes fine too. A tad bland but it's still cake.

So now I'm wonderingif I did alter anything with leaving out the other egg whites. Would not putting enough eggs change the flavor, consistency or anything at all? Anyone know? My daughter sampled and said they were fine, but she eats a spoonful of buttercream as a treat when I bake and thinks it's always "Fine". LOL!

I just wonder if this will have an impact on the cakes. I plan to still ice them but I almost wonder if I should bake another batch. They look fine but my taste buds could be off because of the, well a variety of reasons.

Anyone else ever screw up the egg portion? Did it work out? Did you use the cakes?

2 replies
katiecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiecake Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:01pm
post #2 of 3

just guessing it would only affect the rising and maybe the crumbling? I dont think they would taste of anything You can use egg substitute which has absolutely no eggs in it - only flour and cornstarch or something so i dont think it would affect the flavor icon_twisted.gif

bubblezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubblezmom Posted 24 Jan 2006 , 3:31am
post #3 of 3

Egg whites barely have any flavor. The science of baking pretty much bores me, but I believe the egg whites give cake the fluff factor. More egg yolks for a heavy, yellow cake. More egg whites for an airy, white cake.

Glad to hear the cake came out ok. 8 and 16 is a huge difference. I would've hit the panic button. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%