Sugar Beer Bottles

Sugar Work By SweetResults Updated 17 Jun 2014 , 1:29pm by Cakesnpops

candyd64 Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 8:37pm
post #331 of 344

 

Here is my finished cake..... The bottles turned out great!! thanks for your help... She loved the cake!

luckylibra Posted 4 Nov 2013 , 8:55pm
post #332 of 344

Your cake is AWESOME!!!! love the lighting from beneath. Great job!

sweetsbysandra Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 7:44pm
post #333 of 344

Hi!! they come out awesome!!!...making some bottles tonight...wish me good luck.....i am a little stress....can you please tell me how much sugar and corn syrup you used??i'm planning making mines heated up on the microwave, how much time aprox it weill took....i dont have a thermometer..........Help please

pghritchie Posted 7 Nov 2013 , 8:36pm
post #334 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsbysandra 
 

Hi!! they come out awesome!!!...making some bottles tonight...wish me good luck.....i am a little stress....can you please tell me how much sugar and corn syrup you used??i'm planning making mines heated up on the microwave, how much time aprox it weill took....i dont have a thermometer..........Help please


Well, I personally do not like to use the microwave because I like to be able to watch the thermometer and move it off the heat as soon as possible so the color of the sugar does not turn amber.  In the microwave, you have to be very careful not to overcook it or it will turn amber, then dark brown. 

 

I use approximately a 3:1 ration of sugar to syrup, but the way I usually measure it is to cover the bottom of my pot with corn syrup and then pour sugar over it until I don't see the corn syrup! lol  Anyway, I usually use more sugar that is called for because I like my bottles to be as close to clear as possible so I can paint them the color I want.  Hope that helps.

candyd64 Posted 8 Nov 2013 , 10:50pm
post #335 of 344

My microwave cooks to high, so I went to the stovetop 1/2 c sugar and 1/2c corn syrup. Someone on this post said not to use KARO but an off brand.... I used walmart brand "Great Value" and my sugar did not turn yellow. I cooked my sugar to 295 degrees... let it set for a few minutes (seconds) so the bubbles settled alittle. USE CORNSTARCH in your mold before pouring the sugar in.....

sweetsbysandra Posted 9 Nov 2013 , 6:07pm
post #336 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by candyd64 
 

My microwave cooks to high, so I went to the stovetop 1/2 c sugar and 1/2c corn syrup. Someone on this post said not to use KARO but an off brand.... I used walmart brand "Great Value" and my sugar did not turn yellow. I cooked my sugar to 295 degrees... let it set for a few minutes (seconds) so the bubbles settled alittle. USE CORNSTARCH in your mold before pouring the sugar in.....

My bottles are melting, what i'm doing wrong???:sad::cry:

pghritchie Posted 14 Nov 2013 , 8:00pm
post #337 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetsbysandra 
 

My bottles are melting, what i'm doing wrong???:sad::cry:


What do you mean they are melting?  After you remove them from the molds? 

SweetCarolines Posted 31 Dec 2013 , 7:38pm
post #338 of 344

This thread has been immense help! I'm trying out my first bottle tonight - a champagne bottle. We'll see how it turns out! I have cupcakes and cookies as back up :D

Cakesnpops Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 3:05pm
post #339 of 344

AHello! I'm new to baking and learning as a go I finally perfected the mocha chiffon cake (request from my aunt for father day) I wanted to make a beer cake. I already have all the ingredients. Isomalt and corn syrup. I had trouble taking the bottle with out breaking but I made due O was going to put it on tonight ready for tomorrow but I looked and the bottles melted can someone tell me what happened? What I did wrong?

Cakesnpops Posted 13 Jun 2014 , 9:04pm
post #340 of 344

ACan someone tell me why my sugar bottles are melting? They can out fine. I made them the day before but when was ready to finish the cake today I saw my bottles all melted idk what happened

costumeczar Posted 15 Jun 2014 , 11:01pm
post #341 of 344

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cakesnpops 

Hello!
I'm new to baking and learning as a go I finally perfected the mocha chiffon cake (request from my aunt for father day) I wanted to make a beer cake. I already have all the ingredients. Isomalt and corn syrup. I had trouble taking the bottle with out breaking but I made due O was going to put it on tonight ready for tomorrow but I looked and the bottles melted can someone tell me what happened? What I did wrong?

Did you put corn syrup into isomalt? You don't need to do that, it's probably what made it melt. Isomalt is cooked by adding distiled water to it and nothing else, cook it to 340degrees F, put the pan in cold water to stop the cooking, then let it cool a little and pour it into the molds.

Cakesnpops Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 5:19am
post #342 of 344

I tried just the isomalt on its own and added very little water to help the dissolving go by a bit faster.. i didn't let it cool tho, maybe that's why it melted after? i added my colour paste during the melting. and I cooked it in a pot until it was boiling and then i poured it into a mold. After it cooled which was a long time, as I was taking it out of the mold it was breaking and i use corn starch and it still broke.. and the pieces i had to make due, i placed on top of a plate with parchment paper.. i left it to work on the cake and when i came back it was all water O_o this is my first time working with sugar and it wasn't going well for me :( I guess I need more practice.. I wasted 2 bags of isaomalt :(

costumeczar Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 11:16am
post #343 of 344

A

Original message sent by Cakesnpops

I tried just the isomalt on its own and added very little water to help the dissolving go by a bit faster.. i didn't let it cool tho, maybe that's why it melted after? i added my colour paste during the melting. and I cooked it in a pot until it was boiling and then i poured it into a mold. After it cooled which was a long time, as I was taking it out of the mold it was breaking and i use corn starch and it still broke.. and the pieces i had to make due, i placed on top of a plate with parchment paper.. i left it to work on the cake and when i came back it was all water O_o this is my first time working with sugar and it wasn't going well for me :( I guess I need more practice.. I wasted 2 bags of isaomalt :(

Did you get it to 340 degrees F? If not, that's what you did wrong. You HAVE to use a candy thermometer for this, it's not optional. It will boil for a loooooong time before it gets to that temperature, and if you don't get it that hot it will be soft when it cools, which sounds like what happened to you. I have one of those stupid glass top stoves, and it seriously takes about half an hour to get a good amount of isomalt to the right temperature. I've thought about buying a little convection burner just to cook it, but that would just be another thing to store. Watch this video and see if you did anything differently. Sorry it's so narrow, I had the ipad turned sideways and didn't realize it was going to film in the narrow manner.


Cakesnpops Posted 17 Jun 2014 , 1:29pm
post #344 of 344

That video was a great help I will try it again this weekend!! i didn't do any of that! And i will definitely get a candy thermometer asap! Thanks again for your help I will keep you posted with what happened!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%