How Do You Make Hand Made Edible Pearls

Decorating By tkyker Updated 28 Jan 2006 , 5:12pm by HollyPJ

tkyker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tkyker Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:03pm
post #1 of 15

Hi all
I'm new here so looks like I have alot to learn. I am making a 50th wedding anniv cake in a couple of weeks. Been making standard wedding cakes for years. I would like to know if anyone has a recipe for the hand made edible pearls. i would alos like to make them in red. Is this possible. If so, will the red bleed on the cake. i think I am making a buttercream type frosting.

Thanks for any help i can get on this one!
Therese'

14 replies
HollyPJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HollyPJ Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:13pm
post #2 of 15

Hi,

You can find pearl directions at www.earlenescakes.com.

I'm sure you could make them in red, however I don't know if they would bleed on the rest of the cake.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:36pm
post #3 of 15

Hi! Earlenes instructions are great. Homemade MMF (Marshmallow Fondant) also works to made these pearls. The recipe is in the recipe section of this site. I believe there is also a tutorial in the articles section for making the MMF.

Wilma

tkyker Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:40pm
post #4 of 15

I just went to the site you suggested and printed out the recipe. Thanks for your help!
Therese'

HollyPJ Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:45pm
post #5 of 15

I used marshmallow fondant to make pearls for the wedding cake in the photo below. Once you get the hang of it, they're very easy to make, although time consuming. This cake was for my husband's niece and I was running short on time, so I enlisted my mil to help make the pearls. She insisted she'd never be able to do it, but she was wrong! I taught her how in about 5 minutes. icon_smile.gif
LL

tkyker Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 9:57pm
post #6 of 15

That is what im looking for. The recipe seems easy enough. After you make them do you roll them in the pearl dust? And where do you puchase the pearl dust?

Here we go.....

Thanks,

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 11:50pm
post #7 of 15

There was another post on here lately about making edible pearls that you may want to check out. You can find it here: http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-14561.html

The red may bleed on to the cake, but I think only where the pearl is touching so it may not be that big of a problem. You could also make them ahead of time and let them dry, and I think that would help slow down the bleeding process. And if you are really worried about it then you could try it with a few pearls and a little buttercream spread out on wax paper. This would give you a good time frame for how long it would take to bleed if it infact would bleed.

As far as pearl dust, if you were making just plain pearls then I would go with the pearl dust. But if you want a vibrant read I'd get some red luster dust instead. To me the pearl dust would mute the red.

You can find both pearl dust and luster dusts online at different stores. Or if you are fortunete to have a cake store (not Michaels or Hobby Lobby) in the area you may be able to get it there.

cake77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake77 Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 11:53pm
post #8 of 15

I purchased my pearl dust at a local cake supply store, or you can order it online. Earlenes instructions tell you how to apply the pearl dust.

HollyPJ, Your cake is beautiful, did you also put pearls on your bow?

Wilma

HollyPJ Posted 22 Jan 2006 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 15

Yes--there were pearls on the bow, but those were purchased, not handmade. I had some little ones left over from another project.

tkyker Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 12:18am
post #10 of 15

Wow,

Thanks for all the responses. I once belonged to a hermit crab forum and never got a response. (the crab died) guess I'll stick to cakes.

I think I have decided to go with white pearls made of white chocolate paste and then rolled in a gold luster dust.

How does that sound. This is for a 50th wedding (and my boss) so i better not try the red dye thing.

Any opiniions on the chocolate?

You guys are the best!

HollyPJ Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 12:32am
post #11 of 15

I think that sounds wonderful! Be sure to post a picture here when you're done. icon_smile.gif

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 6:13am
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkyker

I once belonged to a hermit crab forum and never got a response. (the crab died) guess I'll stick to cakes.

Thats funny but sad at the same time. lol

littlebubbieschocolates Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlebubbieschocolates Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 11:16am
post #13 of 15

i think cakes by sam has them or has the mold to do it..

tkyker Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 4:33pm
post #14 of 15

I used the white chocolate paste, found on this site. it is working out great. I have made a few batches and I have learned that after leaving it overnight it is rock hard but i just add a few drops of warm water and it works! I am leaving it as soft as possible and putting corn starch on everything so it does not stick. I have made a bunch of them and put pearl dust on them, they look great!
Thanks for allt he help!

HollyPJ Posted 28 Jan 2006 , 5:12pm
post #15 of 15

Glad to hear it's going well. Be sure and post a picture of your finished cake! I'd love to see it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%