Can I Use Wax Paper Instead Of Parchment Paper??

Baking By katiedeva Updated 23 Jan 2006 , 11:06am by lotsoftots

katiedeva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiedeva Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 4:12am
post #1 of 7

I am making cookies & realized I am out of parchment paper! icon_sad.gif I always line the cookie sheets w/ parchment for cookies & they turn out perfect. This might be a silly question, but can wax paper do the same thing??? SOMEONE PLEASE HELP!! THANKS!! icon_smile.gif

~Katie

6 replies
chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 4:18am
post #2 of 7

I have tried it before with horrid results the wax melts into the food item and it's impossible to get off. At least that has been my experience with wax paper.

katiedeva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katiedeva Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 4:22am
post #3 of 7

Thanks for replying... I just googled it & apparently you shoud only bake w/ wax paper if the wax is completely covered w/ the food (like lining the bottom of a cake pan) so the wax is not supposed to be directly exposed to the heat.... dang it!! Off to the store I go!! icon_sad.gif

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 4:28am
post #4 of 7

sounds about right. o well.

snicker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snicker Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 5:02am
post #5 of 7

I know this isn't really what this is about, but don't use parchment to make buttercream flowers on!! I was out of wax paper one day and made about 28 buttercream poinsettias on parchment paper.(i put little squares of it on my flower nail then laid them all out) Well, a few hours later I figured they were dry enough to apply to make cake. Wrong, they actually absorb into the parchment, so I couldnt get them off. icon_cry.gif I was soooo upset. I found a way to make about half of them work but they definitely didn't look great. Just thought I'd share so no one else makes that mistake. They are definitely not always interchangeable, they have some very different qualities!!!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 3:42pm
post #6 of 7

about the buttercream poinsettas..next time put them in the fridge, they crust faster and harder and probably wont have time to absorb into the ppr

lotsoftots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lotsoftots Posted 23 Jan 2006 , 11:06am
post #7 of 7

In a pinch, I have used foil instead of parchment. Not quite as nice, but still saves cleaning in between batches.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%