Chocolate Covered Oreos... A Couple Of Questions

Baking By JenWith Updated 4 May 2007 , 1:39pm by HeatherABC

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:31pm
post #61 of 99

I know this will probably sound strange, but what do you all mean when you talk about the chocolate blooming?

I tried using nestle milk chocolate chips last night and even though the taste was great, the chocolate was way too soft. I like the idea of mixing it with the wilton candy melts. I will try that next. Maybe it will have the perfect balance. So far though, my favorite is the Baker's chocolate melts.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:36pm
post #62 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcy11

I know this will probably sound strange, but what do you all mean when you talk about the chocolate blooming?

I tried using nestle milk chocolate chips last night and even though the taste was great, the chocolate was way too soft. I like the idea of mixing it with the wilton candy melts. I will try that next. Maybe it will have the perfect balance. So far though, my favorite is the Baker's chocolate melts.

hi marcy. i'm not sure why it blooms, but this is what it looks like then it does. see how one mouse is like all weird looking and the other is fine?
LL

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 2:24pm
post #63 of 99

thanks jescapades, that is strange. I have no idea how or why that would happen, but I am sure they taste just as good to keep and eat at home!!

meggylou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meggylou Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #64 of 99

I got a call from a local church looking for donations for gift baskets they are raffling off. I decided to put in 3 chocolate covered oreos and a small chocolate fortune cookie. Now I need a good way to package them for the baskets that won't cost a fortune.

Any ideas?

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:28pm
post #65 of 99

Well.......how about a Chinese take-out box? They are cheap and come in cute colors.

jescapades Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:28pm
post #66 of 99

meg, how about cellophane bags with cute ribbon?

iluvcakes5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
iluvcakes5 Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 3:57pm
post #67 of 99

I am so excited about trying chocolate covered oreos. In my small town, there is not anyone that makes cookie bouquets or chocolate covered oreos. There are cake decorators and they are way better than I could be, but if I add this to what I can do then maybe I can draw in more customers. Thank you

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #68 of 99

marcy, when real chocolate is not tempered, it will have that cloudy look, which is the "bloom". Tempering has to do with temperature, and real chocolate just isn't as forgiving as "dipping" chocolate.

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 7:14pm
post #69 of 99

I ordered 4 oreo cookie molds the other week and was so excited to try them. I came across a problem that I have not seen mentioned on this whole thread. When I filled the mold with choc & oreos, hardened, then released them - the cookies sometimes had spaces around the sides of the oreos that were bare. I really tried to center the cookies in the mold so I'm not sure if that's the cause but they looked horrible. I also had a slight bloom on them. Did anyone else have this issue? I now know from reading all of your messages - NOT to fill the mold too full after putting the oreo in. Scraping off the excess chocolate is a MESS! And maybe I didn't push the oreo down in the mold far enough because when I did scrap the excess chocolate off the top - the top of the cookie became exposed a bit.

I have another question about cco. When I would hand dip the oreos with no molds - they didn't look as perfect but while the chocolate was still gooey - I would decorate them with sprinkles and little hardened sugar decorations. Now I've discovered with the molds that since the chocolate comes out of the molds already hardened - how can I decorate easily with sprinkles & stuff? I can't figure it out. I tried to quickly put them in the microwave for a few seconds but that was a complete disaster.

jescapades Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 8:51pm
post #70 of 99

heidi, how about putting the decos in before you put the chocolate in?

i had that bare oreo issue a few times too. i noticed it happened when i pressed the cookies in after i covered them with chocolate. if you fill up the mold about 1/2 - 3/4 with chocolate, then put the oreo in then cover the top, it shouldn't happen too often. (in my experiences, anyway).

good luck!

qtkaylassweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtkaylassweets Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:23am
post #71 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by heidinamba

I ordered 4 oreo cookie molds the other week and was so excited to try them. I came across a problem that I have not seen mentioned on this whole thread. When I filled the mold with choc & oreos, hardened, then released them - the cookies sometimes had spaces around the sides of the oreos that were bare. I really tried to center the cookies in the mold so I'm not sure if that's the cause but they looked horrible. I also had a slight bloom on them. Did anyone else have this issue? I now know from reading all of your messages - NOT to fill the mold too full after putting the oreo in. Scraping off the excess chocolate is a MESS! And maybe I didn't push the oreo down in the mold far enough because when I did scrap the excess chocolate off the top - the top of the cookie became exposed a bit.

I have another question about cco. When I would hand dip the oreos with no molds - they didn't look as perfect but while the chocolate was still gooey - I would decorate them with sprinkles and little hardened sugar decorations. Now I've discovered with the molds that since the chocolate comes out of the molds already hardened - how can I decorate easily with sprinkles & stuff? I can't figure it out. I tried to quickly put them in the microwave for a few seconds but that was a complete disaster.

I sometimes use those squeeze bottle to fill my molds. I add more on the sides before putting the oreo in. Just like you put a dam of icing inside to fill a cake, I do that with the chocolate before putting the oreo in. This way, when I put the oreo in, it comes all the way up the sides.

After you take the oreos out of the mold (or whenever you are ready) try using some melted chocolate as "glue". That is what I do when I put sprinkles on them.
I also use chocolate as glue when I put another molded piece of chocolate on top of the oreo. This way, I can dress the oreo for any occasion.

qtkaylassweets Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 4:26am
post #72 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerrixx1

I bought some Wilton candy melts this morning then went to my Walmart and checked the ingredients for Almond Bark and they're exactly the same. And my Walmart has Almond Bark in all kinds of flavors: butterscotch, mint, cherry, dark chocolate and of course, vanilla. So I'm using a paint brush to put colored candy in the flower shape of the mold and just using a plastic spoon to spread the covering over the oreo and tapping on the counter until all the candy settles around the cookie. No mess! You guys ROCK!!!! This site is like cake and cookie school...for free!

Oh, are these molds from silverleaf dishwasher safe?

I don't know about the molds from silverleaf. I got mine somewhere else. But, I do not wash any of my molds. It ruins them. I just wipe the molds out with paper towels.

heidinamba Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 3:09pm
post #73 of 99

After I used my 4 molds they were covered with smears of chocolate. I guess I should have looked for cleaning info but I put all 4 of them in the dishwasher and they came out clean as a whistle. They look perfectly clean (and not warped) but now after reading the above post, I hope I did not destroy the finish on them. I guess I was just too lazy to wash them by hand.

Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #74 of 99

I just placed an order for the support ribbon & the flower molds at spinningleaf.com After seeing the pics of what you all have done with them I can't wait to try this out. Thanks!!!! icon_biggrin.gif

kbarr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kbarr Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:27pm
post #75 of 99

When you first get your molds, it is safe to wash with soap and water. Just this first time. Any other times, just wash with warm water and don't use any soap.

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 8:55pm
post #76 of 99

Oh no not again........I want to cry. icon_cry.gif

Groooooaaaaaan, oh you guys.............such beauuuuuutiful decorations on such an awful, nasty, ugly little cookies........Tis a shame "she shakes her head".......I'm so sorry, but those dried up little cow chips are just plain Ishy-Ka-Ka to me. Just my humble opinion. It's like putting a million dollar diamond necklace on Roseanne Barr. icon_eek.gif It just doesn't work in my head.

When the world is nuked - - - only the cockroaches and Oreos will be left....oh ya and maybe those foul Twinkees also. icon_rolleyes.gif

heidinamba Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 9:58pm
post #77 of 99

What in the world? Oreos rock! I can't think of one person I know that doesn't like chocolate covered Oreos. Especially when they are decorated and packaged nicely. Such a treat!

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:45am
post #78 of 99

Oh nooooooooooo "she runs for the hills screaming". Heidinamba is pushing "pretty decorated" little dried up cow chips - ewwwwwwww

jescapades Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:06pm
post #79 of 99

i'm sorry, but isn't this thread for helping people who have questions about making and decorating chocolate dipped oreos? and not for insulting people who do?

MichelleM77 Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 1:33pm
post #80 of 99

(I hope she is just being funny, and not meaning to insult)

mdtargac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mdtargac Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 6:23pm
post #81 of 99

Well said jescapades.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 7:23pm
post #82 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Oh no not again........I want to cry. icon_cry.gif

Groooooaaaaaan, oh you guys.............such beauuuuuutiful decorations on such an awful, nasty, ugly little cookies........Tis a shame "she shakes her head".......I'm so sorry, but those dried up little cow chips are just plain Ishy-Ka-Ka to me. Just my humble opinion. It's like putting a million dollar diamond necklace on Roseanne Barr. icon_eek.gif It just doesn't work in my head.

When the world is nuked - - - only the cockroaches and Oreos will be left....oh ya and maybe those foul Twinkees also. icon_rolleyes.gif

and

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiptop57

Oh nooooooooooo "she runs for the hills screaming". Heidinamba is pushing "pretty decorated" little dried up cow chips - ewwwwwwww

YO!!!! it's a long running joke!!!!!!! (that' doesn't abide by the rule of 3)

read the whole thread -- not just bits and pieces here and there.

LIGHTEN UP!

and now just to add to her torture -- icon_evil.gif -- i think I'll go have some oreos --- bwahhhahahahahahaah!

jescapades Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 8:39pm
post #83 of 99

i did read the whole thread and i don't think those of use who want help should have to sift through the 'jokes' to find the information we are looking for.

i thought i could come to this thread to learn something new.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 21 Apr 2007 , 8:44pm
post #84 of 99

well digresssion and fun are a part of life --

and do we ever digress on here sometimes all the in the name of fun and "gemulichkeit"

it's a fact of life on CC that even the serious threads will take twists and turns that go way off track -- but we always get back on track --- eventually!

and a little levity never hurt anyone (tho' too much leavening might make your cakes too poofy)

-----

SO -----

(in best teacher tone he can muster for a Saturday)

::clears throat::
::putting on most serious face he can::

OK PEOPLES!!!

LISTEN UP!

IT'S time to get back to work and have a serious discussion here about making chocolate covered oreos that are so decadent that even the most die-hard dieter would forget about "die"ting and pig out!

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 4:11am
post #85 of 99

You shouldn't put your molds in the dishwasher. It messes up the finish on your chocolate (well, when using couverture that needs to be tempered, etc).

You can do like the PP said and hand wash first. They wouldn't really need to be washed after that, as long as the chocolate came out. They can be rubbed with a soft cotton cloth.

MichelleM77 Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:29pm
post #86 of 99

I wonder if that is why some are having problems getting their CCO out of the molds, because they "washed" the finish off in the dishwasher?

jescapades Posted 24 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #87 of 99

i had some problems getting them out last time and have never put the molds in the dw. the last batch i made. the chocolate would stick and pull off the cookie. i had two that i couldn't give to the recipient. i was pretty bummed, but dh ate them, so no worries!

i was wondering how you all package them for selling?

i was invited to a craft fair in may and i would like to sell some oreos, but i have no idea what to package them in. i am not too into those cello bags. something like a plastic sleeve or a box?

thanks so much!

qtkaylassweets Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 3:43am
post #88 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by jescapades

i had some problems getting them out last time and have never put the molds in the dw. the last batch i made. the chocolate would stick and pull off the cookie. i had two that i couldn't give to the recipient. i was pretty bummed, but dh ate them, so no worries!

i was wondering how you all package them for selling?

i was invited to a craft fair in may and i would like to sell some oreos, but i have no idea what to package them in. i am not too into those cello bags. something like a plastic sleeve or a box?

thanks so much!

I package them a few different ways. It depends on how many are ordered.
I use these boxes that fit 6 perfectly. It is a white box with a clear lid. I also use these clear plastic containers that also fit 6.
I also have a box that fits 24. It is more like a cake type box but it is about 1 1/2 - 2 inches tall.
I also sometimes use little bags that fit them perfectly with only the end left to put a ribbon or twist tie on. I have people ask me for the way they want them packaged. For Christmas, My friend wanted them packaged in singles so she could hand them out as favors. So i put them in these little bags with red and green ribbon tied around them.
Look at my pictures, you can see the different ways I have packaged them.

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 4:44am
post #89 of 99

I just posted a picture in the gallery (you can look in my photos) of a little thank you gift of oreos. I packaged 6 in a box. Maybe you could do something like that?

Hmmm, the only thing I can think of as to why the chocolate would stick in your molds is that maybe it wasn't set all the way. When I'm ready for my chocolate to set, I stick it in the freezer for 5-10 minutes and they pop out beautifully. HTH! thumbs_up.gif

jescapades Posted 25 Apr 2007 , 1:24pm
post #90 of 99

wow, your cookies look awesome! where do you buy your packaging??

those ones i made that stuck were weird. i let the chocolate set up, then stuck them in the freezer for 10 minutes, then when they wouldn't come out, i stuck them back in for a few minutes. they all came out great but two and those two popped out but left some chocolate and cookie behind... weird.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%