Chocolate Covered Oreos... A Couple Of Questions

Baking By JenWith Updated 4 May 2007 , 1:39pm by HeatherABC

JenWith Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenWith Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:32pm
post #1 of 99

I'm going to be doing 150 chocolate covered oreos for a baby shower in June (50 white, 50 milk and 50 dark). Here are my questions I hope some of you could answer for me.

- How far in advance can I dip the Oreos? I work full time, am a full time mom to an 18 month DD and my husband works nights and weekends. "Free" time, I do not have. Would be very helpful if I can start these in advance.

- How many Oreos does a pound of the candy melts cover? There are some sales on the melts this week and I would like to stock up this week.

- Can I use DRY luster/petal/shimmer dust on the chocolate to highlight some of the details from the molds that I'm using?

Thank you in advance for any help or insight you can provide me! icon_lol.gif

98 replies
moydear77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
moydear77 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:40am
post #2 of 99

well I do Oreo pops for kids all the time. they are a pain in the butt! I will pipe chocolate into the rim so it is easier to dip them seamless.

I cannot remember but I think it was a bag of meltes to one package of Oreos--I could be wrong!

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 11:59am
post #3 of 99

You can dip the cookies well in advance. There really isn't anything about them that will spoil or taste "off" when they get old. I've never used the dust on them, but others have, and they look wonderful. As to how much chocolate to get, that will depend. The molds, I think, take more chocolate than hand-dipping. I use about 2 pounds for every pound of cookies (if I remember right). Hand-dipping will take less chocolate but won't look as pretty.

Katskakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katskakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 3:26pm
post #4 of 99

I just tried some yesterday with molds. it seems like i'll take much more than just one pack for a pack of cookies. Maybe it's just the molds, not sure if it'll work different if you are doing it by hand. I would love to know about how far in advance too. i wrote a post about just chocolate alone, i was told a month ahead would work. not sure if it's different having the cookie in the middle.
im sorry i can't answer your questions. but i wanted to add a few instead of creating a whole other post. I just got my molds and love them. but how do you make the design one color, and then poor other color on top w/out first color spreading? does that make sense? I'll try to post a pic of what i mean. And w/white or light color chocolate how do you avoid the dark color (cookie) to be seen thru the chocolate?

thanks!
kat

edit to add pictures
LL
LL

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:30pm
post #5 of 99

katskakes, you need to pour in your first color and let it harden before adding the final color candy. I wouldn't want the second color to be super hot, either, or it might melt the first color. I hope that's what you wanted an answer for.

JenWith Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:46pm
post #6 of 99

Thanks everyone! Since posting my questions I have made a tons of oreos and just left them in a sealed container, layered with wax paper. They are holding up very well, taste and texture wise... my husband found my cookies and has been eating them! I'll just have to make more tomorrow.

I was having the color bleed problem as well and didn't think of the second layer of chocolate being too hot. That's a good point. And I found that a pound of the melts only covers about half of the oreo package. I'm going to have to do some research where I can find some melts that I can in bulk vs 1 pound bags.

thanks again! icon_biggrin.gif

Sunshine93 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sunshine93 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 5:57pm
post #7 of 99

Those look so good! I'm adding them to my list of things to make!

ssink1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ssink1 Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:15pm
post #8 of 99

I've never seen molds for Oreo's. Where can you find them?

JenWith Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 6:17pm
post #9 of 99

There are websites mentioned within this thread for the molds...

http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-131561.html

Katskakes Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 99

GeminiRJ - i did that. i did the first color, let it harden in the freezer. then put the second color. i guess my mistake was that the second was way too hot! The website is 3dmolds.com which is now www.spinningleaf.com
HTH
BTW they send you a free mold, their choice and shipping is about 6-7 dollars.

kdkamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kdkamp Posted 22 Mar 2007 , 10:34pm
post #11 of 99

3dmolds.com carries the oreo molds.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:15am
post #12 of 99

JenWith you can order melts in bulk from here

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/Merckens_Rainbow_Wafers.htm

They have tons of colors and you can buy up to 50 LBS cases. HTH.

Katskakes Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 1:46pm
post #13 of 99

i have been to the candylandcraft stores, love them! they do have a nice big selection.
I usually buy my chocolate melts from Michaels, i use wiltons though.

fragglerock1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fragglerock1 Posted 23 Mar 2007 , 2:59pm
post #14 of 99
Quote:
Quote:

I usually buy my chocolate melts from Michaels, i use wiltons though.

Ditto, I stock up when they have the $1.79 for a 1lb bag sale. I haven't been able to find them cheaper then that.

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #15 of 99

I just received my 3 ordered molds from www.3dmolds.com today (now spinningleaf.com)... you are right they mailed me a free mold, it has pumpkins on it icon_smile.gif I can't wait to do the molds.... I will be soooo busy this next 2 weeks with cakes, but I will squeeze time in for some oreos!

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 2 Apr 2007 , 11:46pm
post #16 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody25

JenWith you can order melts in bulk from here

http://www.candylandcrafts.com/Merckens_Rainbow_Wafers.htm

They have tons of colors and you can buy up to 50 LBS cases. HTH.

How do these taste in comparison to Wilton Candy Melts?

Thanks!

CookieChef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieChef Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:47pm
post #17 of 99

What a great thread!

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 5:59pm
post #18 of 99

Can you just use chocolate chips to melt and dip??? Or are the candy melts better?

I just like the taste of the milk chocolate chips better....

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:01pm
post #19 of 99

If you use the chocolate chips you will get a fine white coating on them if you store them.

shanzah67 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanzah67 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:01pm
post #20 of 99

I ordered three molds yesterday too. Can't wait to play around with them! icon_biggrin.gif

ladycake17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladycake17 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:46pm
post #21 of 99

I ordered the molds last week. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get them? icon_razz.gif

JenWith Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:53pm
post #22 of 99

My molds took about a week but they were shipped during a snow storm so that's why mine were delayed. At least according to UPS.com.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 7:48pm
post #23 of 99

i just ordered some molds and paramount crystals from onestopcandle.com. i can't wait to get them and get started!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 8:01pm
post #24 of 99

I was very impressed with my oreo moulds!
I also ordered from 3dmolds and my order took close to two weeks to arrive, but I wasn't surprised - I chose USPS to ship to Canada, so two weeks is about the norm...I could have shipped UPS, but that would have been an additional $$$ since UPS adds anywhere from $10 to $30 for a brokerage fee to Canada.
The molds are fantastic - I have a photo in my pics of my first oreos. I got the "ribbon of hope" mould (or whatever it's called) as my free one. Nice!

jescapades Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:34pm
post #25 of 99

hey, i was thinking about something last night? can you use a double stuffed oreo with the molds?

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 4:59pm
post #26 of 99

Yes, you can. I think it is recommended actually, to use doublestuffed. l think it balances out the amount of chocolate and cookie. thumbs_up.gif

jescapades Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 5:20pm
post #27 of 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by tayesmama

Yes, you can. I think it is recommended actually, to use doublestuffed. l think it balances out the amount of chocolate and cookie. thumbs_up.gif

oh yay! thanks!

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:32pm
post #28 of 99

Can you add a stick to the oreos to make it a cookie pop? Would I add the stick before dipping, or just after dipping, while the chocolate is still warm? Thanks!!!

tayesmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tayesmama Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:24pm
post #29 of 99

I read this in another post about cco's (chocolate-covered oreos). You can dip the stick in some chocolate and then lay it on to the still UNSET chocolate in the mold and drizzle more chocolate over the stick to adhere it the molded cookie. Hope that made sense. If not, let me know; I'll try to find that other post thumbs_up.gif

marcy11 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marcy11 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:55am
post #30 of 99

Thanks tayesmama, that does make sense. It seems like it would work. I wonder if you can gently push a stick through the creme center of the cookie before dipping it. I have a feeling there would be no room for the stick with the mold though. I guess I will try both ways! Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%