The Back Fell Off My Cake!

Decorating By sheepishmagoo Updated 21 Jan 2006 , 9:25pm by christiethomas

sheepishmagoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sheepishmagoo Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 12:56am
post #1 of 16

icon_cry.gif This is a Spiderman cake for my nephew's birthday tomorrow night. You can't see the flub from the front and my sister already saw it tonight and said it was awesome, but still.. There's nothing I can do to fix it. The cake is just way too fluffy to glue back with some icing. lol What I did is jam some chocolate buildings I made in the back behind spiderman (the candle where it looks like he's jumping off of a building) on the second level of cake. Well, it looked awesome and I went in to eat dinner and then I was going to come back and take a look at it with fresh eyes to see if I was missing anything. Well it looked different to me and I couldn't figure out what it was. So, I went to pick up the table a little and that's when I saw chocolate cake glaring at me. icon_cry.gif This just was not my day to make cake! First my husband threw out my disposable pastry bags AND my last coupler and then my buttercream started to melt because it's so dang hot down here in Texas and I forgot to turn my a/c on! ARG!!!!! I SOOOOO want to be good at decorating cakes! I just wish I could get it all right at least once!

Thanks for letting me whine. icon_wink.gif

Mandy

15 replies
briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:00am
post #2 of 16

oh no! Sorry to hear about the cake situation.. and second HI! I am in texas too! Well could you show a pic of what has happened? I am more than sure someone here can help you repair Spiderman..

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:03am
post #3 of 16

Hang in there, sweetie. Tomorrow will be a better day.

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:12am
post #4 of 16

Hey sheepishmagoo--

I'm in Texas, too! Sorry, about your cake, it is terribly warm for this time of year. Don't know whether to turn my a/c on or my heater.

sheepishmagoo Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:26am
post #5 of 16

Thanks for the support!!! I would try to fix the cake but I uh....ate the mistake. LOL It's just a good thing this was for fun or I'd really be in trouble. icon_redface.gif

Keep in mind that I'm an extreme beginner, so no laughing! LOL icon_biggrin.gif
LL
LL

briansbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briansbaker Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:41am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepishmagoo

but I uh....ate the mistake. LOL It's just a good thing this was for fun or I'd really be in trouble. icon_redface.gif

Keep in mind that I'm an extreme beginner, so no laughing! LOL icon_biggrin.gif

OMG I AM LAUGHING AT THE FACT THAT YOU ATE YOUR MISTAKE! that is cute!
You go girl, .. You ate and kept on going.. Just take a deep breath and EAT MORE CAKE!

That looks great!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:44am
post #7 of 16

sheepishmagoo: I think we all have had this happen to us at some point. I made a baby shower block cake, went to bed and when I got up the top block had fallen off and taken the rest of the cake with it. It actually looks similar to what happened to yours.

I think you did a terrific job on this cake...I especially like how you did the buildings around it. You have a very promising future in decorating. Plus, if we never made mistakes, then we could never eat them icon_lol.gif

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:42am
post #8 of 16

ge978--
I remember the baby block episode!

sheepishmagoo--
LMAO!!! I, too, eat my mistakes!!! or Sometimes, I refer to them as evidence!!!

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 16

Mac: I'm still trying to forget it icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_lol.gificon_surprised.gificon_lol.gif

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:56pm
post #10 of 16

Hello! A fellow Texan here too! icon_smile.gif

Your cake looks awesome!! Just put it up against a wall and nobody will be the wiser. icon_smile.gif

sheepishmagoo Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:33pm
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakepro

Hello! A fellow Texan here too! icon_smile.gif

Your cake looks awesome!! Just put it up against a wall and nobody will be the wiser. icon_smile.gif

ROFL I like the way you think! Unfortunately, the cake will be in the center of their very large dining room for the whole world to see! I might not claim the cake. I might just say 'gee, I don't know who made that cake. It tastes like heaven but wasn't very pretty'. ROFLOL J/K It's just going to be close family and I've already shared the story with everyone and had a laugh about it. lol

fytar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fytar Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 4:53pm
post #12 of 16

so did you eat the buildings that fell? if you did then I have no advice! If you didn't, do you think maybe you can put more icing over the broken part and then put lollipop sticks in and stand the buildings up against the sticks?

Good thing you got the picture before it fell apart...you have a great cake to show off. Good job!

melony1976 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melony1976 Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:33pm
post #13 of 16

Texan here too, but dont worry I think its great just stack the presents behind it.

ps3884 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ps3884 Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 8:55pm
post #14 of 16

Your cake looks great! I think most of us have a cake disaster of our own. I always try to take a picture right away, just in case. icon_biggrin.gif

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 9:03pm
post #15 of 16

I guess it happens to everyone! I finished my recent Elmo cake (in photo album) and put it in a box and the icing arm fell right off! So smooshed the arms in and re-furred it. This morning the hand had fallen off and the cake began to crack and settle backwards. icon_sad.gif It was for a customer too! And they had to take it an hour home! I set it up on an incline so that the slant would not continue to crack the cake and instructed them to carry it on their lap the same way.

I am waiting to find out I have to refund alot of money for a busted cake. icon_cry.gif

christiethomas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
christiethomas Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 9:25pm
post #16 of 16

I love your Spiderman Cake !
I'm in Texas, too ... the same thing happened to me this morning when I was taking my neice's first birthday cake to her party. My daughter said ... mom the side of your cake is missing. I tried to fix it but I'm still a beginner and have a hard time the first go around - much less fixing a problem. Then when I got there ... the layers had slid and made bulges on the side. Very disappointing ... people tried to be encouraging and said it tasted great.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%