Square Cake Stand Problems

Business By NEWTODECORATING Updated 8 Feb 2006 , 7:20pm by HEAVENLYSWEETT

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:29pm
post #1 of 28

Ok CC members... I have my first wedding cake coming up Feb 25th. She wants a simple square stacked cake done in buttercream. No problem (at least I don't think so). Problem I am having is finding a stand. The rental places here only have round cake stands. I have called every rental, party, and cake supplier in town. So my question is, Do I buy one and charge the bride a rental fee (which she planned on paying anyway) and hope to rent the thing out again to cover its cost? What do I do without the stand? Where is the best place to find one? And if no one rents out square stands they must not be that popular in this area, so I would either start a new trend and be making square wedding cakes like crazy or be stuck with something I can't use again to store. Please give me input.
Kimberly

27 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:42pm
post #2 of 28

a quick google search will return lots of sources of "square cake stands" or plateaus (as seems to be the new vogue word for them).

or a carpenter friend could easily make them from some plywood and molding to fancy up the sides. These can even be painted to match the colors of the wedding.

as for cost...yes, pass a goodly share on to the bride.

but, considering that square cakes are becoming more popular for all sorts of occaisons (think, the ones that look like presents are squares), I don't this investment will be wasted.

gilson6 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gilson6 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:55pm
post #3 of 28

Williams Sonoma has a clear glass square cake stand. It was pretty reasonable. I would charge the cost to the bride as a rental or you can include it in the price of the cake.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:58pm
post #4 of 28

If she didn't specifically request a fancy silver stand I don't think I would kill myself looking for one. To purchase one can be quite pricey but like you said it may start a trend and you would be ahead of the curve and benefit from that. Otherwise you can go with Doug's idea. You can make a box (even a plain one) and put a nice fabric over it draped around the table, maybe put some votive candles around and greenery or some the brides same flowers. that way the box is generic and everything else can be changed to suit the theme.

gilson6 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 28

I think my cake stands from Williams Sonoma cost $21.95. They really are quite nice.

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 4:15pm
post #6 of 28

Oh, I'm going to check out the stand you talked about gilson6! you can't beat that price. I had checked into the silver looking ones and had a heart attack! icon_eek.gif

NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:25pm
post #7 of 28

Thanks for the ideas! I will be checking out the one from Williams Sonoma too!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:33pm
post #8 of 28

I've been watching them on eBay, and there are a few. Try searching for Square Cake stands or Cake Plateaus. There is a rectangular one that I particularly like, but haven't ordered it as yet. Take a look, you might find just what you want and need. Janice

tripletmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tripletmom Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 28

You could also use those glass 'bricks', I don't know the proper name for them, the kind they used for actual buildings. Use them as a base, get as many as you need and put them together.

Edit to add:

Here is a link to what I am referring to:

http://www.partyreflections.com/user/Glass%20Blocks.jpg

You could put some lights underneath it as well to make them glow.

gilson6 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:41pm
post #10 of 28

That would be really pretty. I've seen them at Lowe's.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 5:47pm
post #11 of 28

tripletmom- I LOVE IT!! I hope the bride goes for that because it is a Feb. wedding. Her cake topper is a silver snowflake floating in a diamond shape with Swarovski crystals. I think the ice would be much better than the silver stand I was looking for!

MainCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MainCake Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 7:19pm
post #12 of 28

I'd either require a refundable deposit on a cake stand that I provided or that the customer provide a cake stand to use. It can sometimes be very difficult getting materials back from customers, especially ones that are leaving to go on a honeymoon. If you have to go out and purchase one specifically for her cake, then yes, add a portion to her cost, but I'd still get a deposit on it. You can refund it to her when you get the stand back, with the stipulation that you have to get it back by a certain date, say within 6 weeks or so (or earlier if you have another commitment for that same stand). At least this gives you a better chance of getting it back or having some $ to replace it if it's not returned to you.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 7:37pm
post #13 of 28

She is also paying me to attend the reception and cut the cake. I will bring home all my supplies with me and be in charge of returning any rented cake supplies.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:04am
post #14 of 28

I just wanted to throw this out there again this pm to see if anyone else had any ideas or if anyone has used the glass blocks.

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:06pm
post #17 of 28

Wow. those sure gave me some ideas! I'm sure newtodecorating got some as well.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:25pm
post #18 of 28

Thank you Thank you Thank you Mouse!! I am soooo excited about this now! It has turned a problem into a wonderful solution.

southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 21 Jan 2006 , 2:41am
post #19 of 28

newtodecorating,

I to am doing my first wedding cake in April. Bride also wants a square cake. Luckily I found a square pewter stand at to rent at a local party rental place. They want $35.00 to rent for the weekend. I am going to go by this weekend and take a look and make sure it will be ok, but I really like the glass block idea. That looks really classy. I to am thinking about investing in some stands and will take a look at William Sanoma as well. Good luck on your cake and make sure to post some pictures.

m0use Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 4:07pm
post #20 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEWTODECORATING

Thank you Thank you Thank you Mouse!! I am soooo excited about this now! It has turned a problem into a wonderful solution.

Your welcome, can't wait to see what you come up with!

NEWTODECORATING Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 4:50pm
post #21 of 28

Hey just a quick note to anyone else looking into the glass block idea. I called Michael's and AC Moore they run $9.99 each there. Then I called Lowes a 8x8x3 inch glass block is $3.10 each

AlamoSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AlamoSweets Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:00pm
post #22 of 28

I have had some cut by an acrylic distributor. They can cut any shape and any thickness as well as the legs. Square is the cheapest cut and round ones are a little more. You can attach the legs yourself with the apoxy you buy from them for under $5.00. I love doing it this way because you can place flowers, tule with battery operated lights or just about anything to go with the theme under the stand. If the cake is large and heavy I suggest a thick acrylic with more than 4 legs or one in the middle. The legs come in different thickness also.

Hope this helps.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:03pm
post #23 of 28

AlamoSweets, do you have any pictures of how this looks? Sounds interesting!

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:05pm
post #24 of 28

I wanted to share a picture of the acrylic stand in use for a wedding cake. If you go to my website www.alamosweets.com and look under wedding cakes one was use two different times. I think you will like the effect it has with roses under it. It also adds a lot of height to the cake.

AlamoSweets Posted 26 Jan 2006 , 5:16pm
post #25 of 28

Sorry to have to direct you to my website. I am at my OTHER job and don't have access to my images. Look at the grooms cake and there is a rose cake (my first wedding cake) with the pink roses.

SHenyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SHenyd Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 7:12pm
post #26 of 28

The website doesn't have them, but the catalog has quite a few square cake stands to choose from.

http://www.sweetc.com/

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 8:05pm
post #27 of 28

If you decide to go with a silver one, check out www.cakesbysam.com - I ordered one for my wedding there, and they are very pretty. They also get shipped very fast.

HEAVENLYSWEETT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HEAVENLYSWEETT Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 7:20pm
post #28 of 28

I would suggest you try www.cakesbysam.com. I just purchased an 18" square from a local supplier and I spent 130.00. She has it about 30-40 less. Hope this helps.......

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%