Huge Cookie Order.......not Sure Where To Start

Baking By SScakes Updated 13 Mar 2006 , 1:56am by SULIE

SScakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SScakes Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 7:39am
post #31 of 66

Hi JennT. I'm South African so I'm not sure sure how you will be able to judge this. I worked out the cost of a cookie and then just multiplied by 3. They are really not big cookies.

Thanks MSLOU. I was a little scared to do the baking and freezing thing but what I am going to do is to freeze a few cookies when I bake this lot and see how they turn out.

sweetchef Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetchef Posted 27 Jan 2006 , 8:23am
post #32 of 66

Definitely invite every friend you have to your house for a cookie-wrapping party...you'll need all the help you can get to get all those cookies wrapped. I'm impressed--I make these decorated cookies for a living and I don't think I could handle 1500! (But I'd sure love to try$$!) Congrats on your big order!

SScakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 5:08am
post #33 of 66

The order for the delivery of the cookies is on the 9th to be given out on the 14th. I started baking 2 nights ago........when would you think would be a safe time to start with the icing. I was going to start today.
If I do start today, will the icing (Antonia's recipe) still look good.

Regards
S

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 6:38am
post #34 of 66

Is Antonia's a royal icing? For me, it seems too early, I wouldn't want to ice more than a couple of days before their due since you said they aren't going to be given out until the 14th. I hope someone else can give you a better answer!

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:24am
post #35 of 66

How are you storing the baked cookie? If you are not freezing it, decorate now with royal icing so you can get them wrapped.

SScakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 11:52am
post #36 of 66

I'm storing the cookies in plastic containers and what I wanted to do was to ice and as soon as they are dry, bag them.

Do you think that will work?

Jenn123 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:10pm
post #37 of 66

Yes, I would probably do that, but it depends on the icing you use. Some thinned icings/fondants might crystalize on the cookie after a few days.

Kos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kos Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:21pm
post #38 of 66

Jenn123

Shamani wrote=
..."when would you think would be a safe time to start with the icing. I was going to start today.
If I do start today, will the icing (Antonia's recipe) still look good
."
(Just to save time on this thread.) icon_wink.gif

This is fascinating to me.
I'm feeling anxious for you Shamani! icon_eek.gif

kos

_ChristyB_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
_ChristyB_ Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:25pm
post #39 of 66

Ditto, Kos! I think I don't think I could sleep worrying about getting everything done!

Best of Luck, Shamani!!! I know you have had some great tips and really sounds like you have it under control! I hope all goes well!!!

SScakes Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:39pm
post #40 of 66

Jenn123 - I'm using Antonia's icing recipe and the No fail sugar cookies.

Jenn123 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:52pm
post #41 of 66

What is in Antonia's icing? I don't see it in the recipe list?

Jenn123 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 12:58pm
post #42 of 66

Oh, I found a forum discussion. This what Antonia said:

"It is royal icing...just thinned. It gets hard enough to pack, but I let cookies dry 24-36 hours before I package them."

This really important. Make sure the icing is completely dry before bagging them. I think it will be fine to start now. Just be sure you don't stack too high. I don't know if the icing will absorb moisture from the cookie over time.

acookieobsession Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acookieobsession Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 1:26pm
post #43 of 66

Just FYI I iced with antonia's icing a few weeks ago and put in freezer. When I pulled them out the darker colors were blotchy. Could just be me, but I was experimenting... I had them in a freezer container, so maybe the added help of the bag would protect them more.

Julia

Jenn123 Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 1:29pm
post #44 of 66

I wasn't suggesting freezing after. Did I miss something? Ooops Don't freeze after decorating! Thanks acookieobsession!

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 3 Feb 2006 , 2:39pm
post #45 of 66

I have made cookies with Antonia74's icing several times (using the no fail cookie recipe) and the icing looked good for a long time.

I made a couple of samples of the cat face cookies I did at Christmas time, and kept them in a container for over a month until it was time to make them for the shower (NOT to eat, just as samples to show) and they looked as good as they did when they were fresh.

hth!
Laura.

SULIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SULIE Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 4:32pm
post #46 of 66

SO WHERE DID YOU FIND ANTONIAS RECIPES.
SHAMANI I HOPE U GET YOUR COOKIE ORDER DONE ON TIME. ARE YOU HALF WAY DONE? GOOD LUCK!
SULIE

Kos Posted 5 Feb 2006 , 6:13pm
post #47 of 66

SULIE --It's actually called "Royal Icing for Decorating Cookies" in the recipe section from Antonia74 (Helen). It's just shortened and referred to as "Antonia's recipe".
http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1983-1-Royal-Icing-for-Decorated-Cookies.html

Hope that helps. Welcome to CakeCentral!! thumbs_up.gif

kos

SScakes Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 4:57am
post #48 of 66

HI,

Just an update as to how things are progressing.
Over the weekend we (DH and I) started with the icing and bagging. By last night we had 950 cookies bagged and there are another 200 waiting to be bagged tonight.
It seems to be going okay for now. One negative thing though is that the smell of cookies are really starting to get to me but I suppose that was expected. Oh and one more....my kids (a 4yr and 2yr old) keep stealing cookies. I did make about 100 extra for just in case and I'm hoping they have not eaten that much.
Thanks to all of you for the encouragement and tons of help. Not sure if I could be doing this without you. thumbs_up.gif

Regards
Shamani

vitade Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitade Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 10:19am
post #49 of 66

I'm keeping positive thoughts for you! Please, make sure and take some pictures!

tastycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastycakes Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 6:04pm
post #50 of 66

Congratulations on your progress! I hope you are pleased with whatever you decided to charge! So much work!

chixbaby27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chixbaby27 Posted 7 Feb 2006 , 7:36pm
post #51 of 66

After reading this thread, I'm simply amazed! I hope you take a picture of the finished cookies to show us!

icon_smile.gif

And for your sake, I hope your kids haven't eaten 100 cookies too! Whew, I'd never get mine calmed down!

Good luck ~ you're in the home stretch now!

SScakes Posted 8 Feb 2006 , 5:03am
post #52 of 66

icon_cry.gif okay, between the kids, 2 nephews and DH, 52 cookies are missing.
Yesterday we bagged about 300 and tonight I'm doing the rest.....well that and having to baking another 60 cookies. Should be okay though. thumbs_up.gif

SScakes Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 6:22am
post #53 of 66

HeeeeHaaaa
They are all done and I'm delivering this morning.

Gosh this was one long week. Just glad it's all over and done with. Now I'll just wait till the 14th to hear what people thought of them (nobody knows that I did them except the lady who ordered the cookies and her boss).

Thank you to everyone who gave advice and encouragment....don't think I could have done this without you guys (and DH of course).
I will post pics a little later. icon_wink.gif

Regards
Shamani

Jenn123 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 11:37am
post #54 of 66

CONGRATULATONS! I'M IMPRESSED! I'm so happy everything worked out for you. I'll bet you don't want to see (or smell) anymore cookies for a while!

SULIE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SULIE Posted 10 Feb 2006 , 9:43pm
post #55 of 66

Shamani I cant beleve you made all of those cookies. Great Job!! Me and a friend were following your cookie story. We read today and found out that you finished we just smiled and we are so happy to hear that you had finished your order. We cant wait to see your pictures. We just realized that you are South Africa cool!
Congratulations!!!

Sulie V. from Texas thumbs_up.gif

kaecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaecakes Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 2:55am
post #56 of 66

Well now that they are done relax and wait for all the praise you will here from your coworkers. I am sure they all will enjoy them. can't wait to see the pictures.

Kos Posted 12 Feb 2006 , 3:04am
post #57 of 66

Shamani - Wow, way to go! party.gif
I feel your relief all the way up here in Georgia!

Let's see some pictures now!

kos

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:48pm
post #58 of 66

Shamani... first of all congratulations !!!!!!!

I just wanted to tell you that you have been my inspiration. I just started baking earlier this year ..I love to make cookies and people are starting to know this fact about me... so for Valentines I got talked into baking cookies for sale at my son's pre-school... I almost died when on Friday I got my order for 200 cookies icon_eek.gif .... then I thought of you....if you can do 1500 I can do a measly 200.....I got right to work with my buddy (the one that gets me into these messes) ... the good news is that I made enough money to buy myself a kitchenaid professional mixer that last week I thought was out of the question icon_biggrin.gif

p.s. can't wait to see the pictures!!!

parismom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
parismom Posted 14 Feb 2006 , 3:51pm
post #59 of 66

WOW! At least they are paying for them! That's great!

sofiasmami Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sofiasmami Posted 15 Feb 2006 , 5:37pm
post #60 of 66

we split the profits 50/50 with the school ....they ended up on the wining end since I put all the ingredients ... I was so encouraged I'm thinking of doing it again for easter icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%