Modeling & 3D Figures

Decorating By kiminikakes Updated 19 Jan 2006 , 3:47am by TexasSugar

kiminikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiminikakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:01am
post #1 of 6

Hello, I wanted to find out if we can use the 'sculpy' molds (these are used to help make clay models) to help with learning how to make 3D figures? If so, is it okay to use royal icing or is it best to stay with Candy Clay?

5 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:08am
post #2 of 6

i've seen this technique used by several decorators from the UK...seems to be very common over there.

SugarCraft (http://www.sugarcraft.com/D-gumpaste.htm) sells molds of this type

just have to be sure to treat mold so molding stuff (fondant, gumpaste, etc) releases easily and that the mold is food safe.

kiminikakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kiminikakes Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:19am
post #3 of 6

Doug, thank you. I'll make sure to check that it's food safe. Appreciate the website.

stephanie214 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stephanie214 Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:11am
post #4 of 6

just have to be sure to treat mold so molding stuff (fondant, gumpaste, etc) releases easily and that the mold is food safe.[/quote]

Doug,

What do you use to treat molds?

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:15am
post #5 of 6

the advice I've seen ranges from powdered sugar to cornstarch to crisco. just depends upon what molding compound you're using, the type of mold material, etc.

example: my wilton molds for fondant suggest cornstarch or powerdered sugar.

TexasSugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TexasSugar Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 3:47am
post #6 of 6

I've seen that Sclupy says you shouldn't use their molds for ice or anything you would eat. They are made for clay and not for food products.

I have seen people use them (I've used them as well) but I make sure that what I make them for will not be eaten and try to keep it from touching the cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%