What Desserts To Make For A Pregnant Woman?

Decorating By camouflagegirl Updated 5 Mar 2007 , 5:03pm by ruralepicure

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:35am
post #1 of 32

My husband and I are having dinner with a married couple who just found out they're pregnant with past Friday. What are some good dessert ideas for her? She's pretty "strick" on what she eats while she is pregnant, so no chocolate (contains caffeine), and she doesn't really want junk food. I know that sort of goes against "desserts", but someone out there has to have some ideas!

31 replies
kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:40am
post #2 of 32

How about angel food cake with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream?

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:49am
post #3 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

How about angel food cake with fresh sliced strawberries and whipped cream?

Ah, man! You took my idea! icon_cry.gif

megankennedy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
megankennedy Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:53am
post #4 of 32

great idea! i was thinking anything with fresh berries...if you wanna go a little fancier maybe a light lemon mousse w/raspberries or a light/no bake cheesecake w/mixed berries?

goofie514 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goofie514 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:11am
post #5 of 32

You can try this recipe, i know it look strange but it's verry delicious

1 fruits can of 796 ml (remove de juice of the fruits)
1/4 cup of sugar
1 cup of sour cream
1 bottom pie made of cookie graham

Mix all the ingredients (sour cream, sugar and fruits) put it in the graham pie bottom.

Put it in the oven for about 30 min at 350 and refrigerate for 6 hour before serving.

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:12am
post #6 of 32

Maybe some shortcakes with fresh raspberries and peaches and whipped cream. Some of my friends don't like anything to sweet so when they ask for something, I usually make some scones and use what ever fruit looks good at the store that day. There are so many combinations out there. My favorites are peach/raspberry and Mango/coconut. I really hope you get some ideas.

Erica

Monilynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monilynn Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 9:48am
post #7 of 32

I use this berry desert for my mother in law who is a diabetic and it always get rave reviews.

I take 2 tubs sugar free whipped creme and a fresh pint of strawberries and blueberries * they need to be a large pint * reserve some for garnishing. ( frozen can work too)
a box of graham crackers ( i like the cinimmon best) .

Take the berries and blend them in a blender and fold the puree into the whipped creme. Then take two of the crackers and cover one of the crackers in the mixture , then add the other cracker on top . then repeat a few times, laying the crackers length wise ( on their side ) on a long patter ( will look like along rectangle) one you have enough for the * cake * take the other tub of the whipped creme and cover the cake. I garnish the cake with one row of berries alternating the type making a crosswise stripe ( starting at one edge working my way to the opposite edge). Then I put it in the fridge for at least 4 hours( overnight works too) ( to allow the crackers to soften and become the cake*.

When I cut the cake I cut it starting like i placed the berries, I start at one edge and cut it . So the crackers make a very pretty pattern.

Its very light and easy.

I hope you can understand that. I wrote that after being up all day and night with a sick little one. If you have any questions I will try my best to anwser them.

Thanks

Monica

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:54am
post #8 of 32

How about a pumpkin roll ?

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:03pm
post #9 of 32

Oh, man! I thought this was a trick question - don't even ask what desserts I ate pregnant, there's no list long enough.

Fruit parfaits are good - fruit, yougurt, granola, all layered. All healthy, not too sweet, and can be made with frozen fruits.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:01pm
post #10 of 32

how about a fruit tart. Make the crust up and put into a tart pan then top with some sweetend cream cheese and then with different slices of fruit.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:05pm
post #11 of 32

just thought of another one that's really easy to do. Just peel a sweet tasting apple and core out the inside. Put 1-2 TBSP of fruit perserves in the center that's been cored out and put in the microwave for around 1 minute (depends on your microwave setting). The fruit perserves end up making like a thin sweet sauce in the apple and will run down the sides of it as well.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:20pm
post #12 of 32

how about a 'gift certificate"..lol

I hate it when people get all HOLY when they diet or get pregnant.

I mean I understand and can relate, but why make MY life stressed out.

I make what I make and it's up to them as adults to restrain themselves from eating something they deem is bad for them.

Selfish I know, but what are you going to do? I like to keep my life as stress free as possible!

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:27pm
post #13 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

I make what I make and it's up to them as adults to restrain themselves from eating something they deem is bad for them.

Selfish I know, but what are you going to do? I like to keep my life as stress free as possible!

AGREED! While pregnant, I would toast my fellow "by the book" pregnant friends with a vente Starbucks cappuccino. The way I figured it, my sanity was VERY important to the baby's well being.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:27pm
post #14 of 32

I too thought that was a trick question............I pretty much enjoyed ALL Desserts when pregnant. However I noticed that you said they JUST Found out they are preggo....I wonder if she can keep up that strict diet for all 40 weeks!

I love the idea of angel food cake, I have a pampered chef recipe where you make the angel food cake in a 9X13 pan and make a glaze made with powdered sugar and lemon juice (can get the recipe if you want it) and then you pour it over the top....and spread it out even, then garish with fresh raspberries. Its a big hit everytime!

toristreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toristreats Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:30pm
post #15 of 32

You guys are making me hungry. They all sound good. Now I'm going to be craving berries. (yes, I am pregnant.) I say just make a dessert and if she doesn't want any she doesn't have to have any. Just my opinion. Personally, I love angel food cake. It's one of my favorites.

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:33pm
post #16 of 32

congrats toristreats......go get yourself some berries!!!

foxymomma521 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
foxymomma521 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:34pm
post #17 of 32

Thought she might like to know, they just showed a study on the Today Show that shows a pregnant woman can comsume 3 caffeinated beverages a day. It said that prior thought on caffeine and pregnancy were wrong, which stinks cause I already went through 2 pregnancies without it icon_cry.gif. I know it probably won't make a difference to her, cause it was just a TV study, but in a few months without coffee or chocolate she might change her mind!! icon_biggrin.gif

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #18 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

Quote:
Quote:

AGREED! While pregnant, I would toast my fellow "by the book" pregnant friends with a vente Starbucks cappuccino. The way I figured it, my sanity was VERY important to the baby's well being.

totally in agreement!

and nothing is bad for you as long as you maintain moderation in everything...but that Starbucks.. I'll be darn if they don't put a mix of extasy and cocaine in that sucker...lol

why else would grown people pay close to 4.00 ( including myself!) for a cup of coffee??

I feel about them as Homer Simpson feels about donuts! even while I was in the hospital, people wouldn't bring me flowers...they'd bring me Starbucks cards.... icon_redface.gif

Pucka1378 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucka1378 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:35pm
post #19 of 32

1 16oz(I think that is the size of the can) of crushed pineapple
1 box of angel food cake

mix them together, do not add the ingredients on the box, just the mix and the pineapple. You can bake it in a 13x9 or angel food cake pan.

Garnish with some other berries or serve as is.

If she is on a strict diet then I would stay away from artificial sweetners as well. some pregnant women well for that fact some people in general stay away from the artificial sweetners.

toristreats Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:38pm
post #20 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkerton

congrats toristreats......go get yourself some berries!!!

ohh, I just remembered I have some frozen berries in my freezer. Yum!

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:40pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucka1378

1 box of angel food cake

mix them together, do not add the ingredients on the box, just the mix and the pineapple. You can bake it in a 13x9 or angel food cake pan.

If she is on a strict diet then I would stay away from artificial sweetners as well. some pregnant women well for that fact some people in general stay away from the artificial sweetners.

That's the suggestion I was going to give! Great Minds...
I do that cake (I'm on Weight Watchers) and "Frost" it with some lowfat Cool Whip and sprinkle it with some berries.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:42pm
post #22 of 32

You could get some frozen puff pastry and cut it into three even strips, then bake. Then make a "mousse" with the cheesecake pudding and whipped cream. You could even go "light" or fat free whatever and just layer the mousse and fresh berries with the puff pastry sheets. It would look really nice and taste fantastic. I couldn't get enough hot fudge when I was pregnant.

toristreats Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:49pm
post #23 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pucka1378

1 box of angel food cake

Do you drain the pineapple or do you use the juices too? How long do you cook this? Man, you guys are really making my hungry.

darandon Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #24 of 32

I don't drain the juice. But I bake at the same time/temp as the box says.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:54pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Quote:

why else would grown people pay close to 4.00 ( including myself!) for a cup of coffee??

It isn't a cup of coffee, it's a very inexpense rent on a slice of Heaven.

goal4me Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
goal4me Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:10pm
post #26 of 32

I jujst found out on Thursday that our son and wife are going to have a baby! First grandchild....YEAH!!!!!!

Dessert:

What about a zucchini cupcake...for the frosting...cream cheese frosting.
Decoration: the Wilton yearbook has a picture that is cute on page 73 of a baby in a baby carraige that would be fun to pipe on the cupcake.

or a fondant pickle and a cupcake made of banana, carrot or zucchini bread recipe. Decorate the cupcake to look like ice cream.

Most of us start off very strict reading labels on everything and being very cautious...which is a good sign.... but moderation is the key!

Mary Jane

toristreats Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:14pm
post #27 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Thanks. This sounds light and delicious. I'm going to have to try it.

darandon Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:30pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by toristreats

Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Thanks. This sounds light and delicious. I'm going to have to try it.

I"m sure you will like it. I may have to stop on my way home tonight and pick up the mix and pineapple. I"m hungry for it now icon_surprised.gif

camouflagegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
camouflagegirl Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:48pm
post #29 of 32

I actually think she'll be just fine for the 40 weeks (and not stress herself out) by going off chocolate and junk food, because she knows she's pregnant. This isn't her first child, and she is a smoker, and the minute she found out she was pregnant, she give her cigarettes away. Anyway, some women just have strick pregnancy diets for themselves. I say all the more power to her, as we all carry ourselves differently when we are pregnant. Thanks for all the great ideas.

chleonard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chleonard Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:58pm
post #30 of 32

hi,
i think that is great that you are considering what she will eat! some women do tend to really watch what they eat .
if she doesn't even want to ingest caffeine, i would maybe avoid lowfat and sugar free ingredients, b/c they most likely contain stuff that she won't want, like aspartame.
how about a simple pound cake with fresh fruit?
i think that sounds great!
good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%