Square Cupcakes?

Decorating By Vreeke Updated 27 Mar 2007 , 3:46am by Vreeke

Vreeke Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vreeke Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:04pm
post #1 of 32

Hi Cupcakers,
I have a bride who wants square cupcake and I said "Sure, I can do that"
Is there such a thing as square cupcake papers? I have been told there is a pan available in squares (not mini muffins).
Any info. you can pass on to me would be appreciated!
Thanks,
Lori V.
Pastries By Vreeke

31 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:17pm
post #2 of 32

I just saw square cupcake liners at Michaels craft store in the baking section. IF you don't have one near you, you may be able to get the liners on line.

heather2780 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heather2780 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:20pm
post #3 of 32

I dont see any reason why you would need to buy a square pan when I make square cupcakes I just bake a sheet cake and cut it into squares I also believe there are round liners at michael's.

Vreeke Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:23pm
post #4 of 32

If you just cut out square cakes, how do you attach the cupcake papers?
I dont want to make fondant covered cakes. They are having a dessert buffet and want the papers on them?

Also, does anyone else have issues with the cupcake papers pealing off from the cupcake as they cool?

delgado2134 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delgado2134 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:27pm
post #5 of 32

Wilton's has some new square cupcake silicones. If you just add a liner in there, I am told it takes the shape of the silicone icon_smile.gif

http://www.cupcakefun.com/search.cfm

Put "square" in the search engine on that page and it will show you the square cupcakes.

RisqueBusiness Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:39pm
post #6 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by delgado2134

Wilton's has some new square cupcake silicones. If you just add a liner in there, I am told it takes the shape of the silicone icon_smile.gif

http://www.cupcakefun.com/search.cfm

Put "square" in the search engine on that page and it will show you the square cupcakes.

man I just used these with the round cupcake papers and what drama I had. Don't recomend using the new wilton shaped silicone cupcake until they come out with the papers to match!

rstml Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rstml Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:46pm
post #7 of 32

I have square muffin pans, but for the life of me, I can't remember where I got them! As far as papers, I have never seen square ones. Perhaps you could google either the pan or the papers and see what you get. If you at least had the pan, you could probably shape the round liner to fit the pan. Sorry, that probably wasn't much help!

dyenana Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dyenana Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:51pm
post #8 of 32

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0000W09FO/?tag=cakecentral-20
Chicago Metallic makes a square tin.

RisqueBusiness Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 11:54pm
post #9 of 32

nah, the darn papers didn't go into the squares..lol

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:34am
post #10 of 32

You can use round papers in a square pan. The pan is more important.

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 2:49am
post #11 of 32

I don't like they way the round papers sit inside the pans.

shannas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannas Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:00am
post #12 of 32

This site has some square liners

http://beryls.safeshopper.com/278/10582.htm?524

I have ordered chocolate transfer sheets from them and they are a good company. I hope the link worked.

Vreeke Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 3:40am
post #13 of 32

I have seen those liners on Beryl's but unfortunately they are only 3/4" tall. I'm looking for something more cupcake like.
Thanks,
Lori V.

chefshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 1:59pm
post #15 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefshar

Don't know if this will help you but saw this great display of Square cakes http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/239231736/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/weddingcakes/239231737/in/set-1246194/
Thought they looked so unique.

Some pans here http://www.food-equipment.com/bakery_equipment.htm

http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Wilton-Silicone-Baking-Cups-Sq-Tri-Diamond-Cupcakes_W0QQitemZ220088168935QQihZ012QQcategoryZ63507QQcmdZViewItem

Hope that you can find the right stuff to make them. icon_smile.gif

Chef, those pictures on flickr are Petit Fours, which are not cupcakes...I'm sure as a CHEF you've made dozens of them.

it's not the pans nor the silicone baking cups that I'm talking about...it's the cupcake papers themselves.

The round cupcake papers sit inside the shaped cupcake makers awkwardly..I even tried the aluminum cups that divide the papers. I mean it's doable...but they just don't look good, at least to me.

The sides of the shaped cupcakes flare up and then dip down at every corner, it's hard to know when to stop filling them and they are also hard to "dip" into the icing.

I was trying to make a "glaze" to dip them into as I've seen them, so pretty, in some book or other...(have to be at work to look at which one it is..)

julzs71 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julzs71 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:02pm
post #16 of 32

If you don't find them make them yourself. just use parchment and cut them out. You could wrap a rbbon on them when your done or wrap it in plastic tissue paper.

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 4:12pm
post #17 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

If you don't find them make them yourself. just use parchment and cut them out. You could wrap a rbbon on them when your done or wrap it in plastic tissue paper.

icon_lol.gif great idea, but who is going to run my business and get the other 9 cakes that need to be done out? icon_redface.gif

I'll leave that to the people that have the luxury of time to do stuff like that...as a matter of fact...anyone in Miami that I can send my clients to if they want these "shaped" cupcakes??? thumbs_up.gif

chefshar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefshar Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:07pm
post #18 of 32

"Chef, those pictures on flickr are Petit Fours, which are not cupcakes...I'm sure as a CHEF you've made dozens of them. "

Sorry if my nick caused you problems, it's Chief Cook & Bottle Washer shortened down to Chefshar, icon_wink.gif
I'm a Hairdresser/Mom. Never made Petit Fours in my life, lol.
The way the cakes were displayed is what caught my eye.

Good Luck anyway.

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:47pm
post #19 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefshar

"Chef, those pictures on flickr are Petit Fours, which are not cupcakes...I'm sure as a CHEF you've made dozens of them. "

Sorry if my nick caused you problems, it's Chief Cook & Bottle Washer shortened down to Chefshar, icon_wink.gif
I'm a Hairdresser/Mom. Never made Petit Fours in my life, lol.
The way the cakes were displayed is what caught my eye.

Good Luck anyway.

icon_redface.gif oops my bad, I guess I made a donkey out of myself once again by ASSuming.. icon_lol.gif when people call themselves Chef that they are a Chef! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

it's hard to override Culinary training on some points thumbs_up.gif

CakeDiva73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 5:58pm
post #20 of 32

Hi - I found this on ebay...granted, it is pricey and probably not realistic but since you are a business and could potentially use them in the future, figured I would show you... http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-6-CHICAGO-METALLIC-HEAVY-SQUARE-MUFFIN-PANS-Used_W0QQitemZ330076609648QQihZ014QQcategoryZ95090QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
And shoot....maybe I misunderstood and you only need the liners - not the pans...sorry icon_redface.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:22pm
post #21 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakeDiva73

Hi - I found this on ebay...granted, it is pricey and probably not realistic but since you are a business and could potentially use them in the future, figured I would show you... http://cgi.ebay.com/LOT-6-CHICAGO-METALLIC-HEAVY-SQUARE-MUFFIN-PANS-Used_W0QQitemZ330076609648QQihZ014QQcategoryZ95090QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem
And shoot....maybe I misunderstood and you only need the liners - not the pans...sorry icon_redface.gif

yes, the liners!! I have plenty of those already!! lol...great for muffins though, and great for space saving packing!

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:26pm
post #22 of 32

Well, I googled like a mad woman and can't find 'em anywhere....... sorry

ge978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ge978 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:38pm
post #23 of 32

Vreeke...not sure if this is the size you need...but here's the link for a company that I think carries them... http://www.qualitapaper.com/html/CandyCups_WhiteCups.htm

julzs71 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:44pm
post #24 of 32

make the cupcakes in the pan without the liner. When you take it out cool and then dip the bottom in chocolate or pourable fondant to get the finished look.

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 6:53pm
post #25 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by julzs71

make the cupcakes in the pan without the liner. When you take it out cool and then dip the bottom in chocolate or pourable fondant to get the finished look.

this would defeat the purpose of baking cupcakes...cupcakes are called cup cakes because they are baked in little paper cups

Your idea is a good one, but that's not what I wanted to do. I was trying to make samples for a large show and handing someone a chocolate coated cupcakes would be messy and defeating the purpose of having a portion in a tiny, portable little paper cup.

a lot of people cut petit four sized portions into chocolate melts, like I said, a great idea...a nice look...but that wouldn't work for what I had in mind..

sorry icon_redface.gif

I'm going to go check out the link that GE posted...let's see if there are cupcake holders there for those stupid Wilton silicone cups..

Oh, and I'm sure that if enough people complain, they will have them out shortly! or they will just remove the product!

I do purchase a lot of novelty silicone ice trays and use them with cake and then glaze with chocolates! thumbs_up.gif

julzs71 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 7:39pm
post #26 of 32

sorry Risque, I was actually suggesting for Vreeke, just in case she couldn't find papers for her square cupcake.
Goodluck on yours though.

Momof3boys Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momof3boys Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 8:50pm
post #27 of 32

I'm so confused. I thought all of the suggestions were for the OP? NO? I guess I'm totally lost now. carry on.......

CakeDiva73 Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 10:52pm
post #28 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof3boys

I'm so confused. I thought all of the suggestions were for the OP? NO? I guess I'm totally lost now. carry on.......

icon_razz.gif You are not the only one who got confused! Guess I should read the posts better....still can't find any square papers though..... icon_sad.gif

RisqueBusiness Posted 5 Mar 2007 , 11:41pm
post #29 of 32

lol icon_lol.gif

yep..just spent 1/2 a day looking..no square papers...to be found anywhere ..well ..large enough to fit those Wilton silicone cupcake forms..and I was so excited when I bought them... icon_cry.gif

twinsline7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsline7 Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:31am
post #30 of 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by RisqueBusiness

lol

icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%