Decorated Cookies With Rolled Buttercream...now What?

Baking By llee815 Updated 9 Feb 2006 , 11:05am by chocolate1

llee815 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:19pm
post #1 of 13

I just made some No Fail Sugar Cookies and decorated them with rolled buttercream. THEY ARE SOOOO GOOD!! But now what do I do? Do I let the buttercream dry or do I wrap them? If I wrap them, won't the rolled BC get smooshed? TIA!!

Leslie

12 replies
llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 13

Anyone?

mtrainer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mtrainer Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:30pm
post #3 of 13

what is rolled buttercream and how do you make it?

llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:06pm
post #4 of 13

This recipe is a fantastic alternative to fondant! It's buttercream icing that you can mold!

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-1603-Rolled-Buttercream-Icing-Recipe.html

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:16pm
post #5 of 13

I've never worked with it but I would assume you need to let it dry firt so that it doesn't get smashed or smudged when you put it in the wrapping (or is it as firm as fondant? If so, I would just wrap them and stack them).

Maybe someone else that has used it can give you a better answer icon_biggrin.gif

llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:19pm
post #6 of 13

It's a bit softer than fondant and can get smooshed pretty easily. I just wasn't sure if I should let it dry out. Thanks.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 13

I've used rolled buttercream for a couple of years now to decorate my cookies (just love it), and I usually bag them (for bouquets or individual sale) and they're ready the next day. Although the buttercream is softer than fondant, mine is never so soft that it squooshes easily....and I stack them too in the bags. The only thing I notice is that there's a slight grease mark on the inside of the front of the bags when I stack them....but not very bad. I would say let them sit, covered or placed in bags, for a day!

llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:41pm
post #8 of 13

Thank you. I don't know how to describe how soft they are. hmmm...they are just simple flower cookies, but I think are soft enough to get smashed if I were to stack them. I could maybe get away with 2 or 3 stacked though. The cookies that I decorated first are already getting a bit firmer. The soft ones are the ones I pretty much just decorated.

cande Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cande Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 10:24pm
post #9 of 13

llee815-
How did this turn out for you? Did you end up letting it dry out or stacking it 'wet'? icon_biggrin.gif

llee815 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:22am
post #10 of 13

Well, I made them around 1pm yesterday and I left them out until about 11:30pm last night. They did firm up a bit, to about the same firmness as fondant. They turned out really well. I would have taken a picture but my daughter dropped my camera and now it won't turn on! I have to see if I can fix it now.

Chef_Mommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chef_Mommy Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 3:31pm
post #11 of 13

llee815,

I have a question when you decorate with rolled BC do you make a base of white BC then stack on the other colors (details) and end up with 2 layers of color or do you some how blend the BC and your ccokies turn out flat. Basically what I would I would really like to know is how do you detail the cookies.

Thanks
Jackie

PS. I live in Chicago. What part of Illinois are you in?

llee815 Posted 20 Jan 2006 , 6:34pm
post #12 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmosquera

llee815,

I have a question when you decorate with rolled BC do you make a base of white BC then stack on the other colors (details) and end up with 2 layers of color or do you some how blend the BC and your ccokies turn out flat. Basically what I would I would really like to know is how do you detail the cookies.

Thanks
Jackie

PS. I live in Chicago. What part of Illinois are you in?

I'm not exactly sure if I understand your question, but when you make rolled BC it's starts white (like regular BC). You can color it anything you want and it's very easy to color, you just knead in the color. My camera is broken but I found a picture of someone that used rolled BC. Her cookies are beautiful. I hope that helps.

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=lpino&cat=0&pos=5

I live west of Chicago, small town called Westmont. It's close to Downers Grove, Hinsdale, Woodridge, and about 15 minutes from Naperville.

Leslie

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 9 Feb 2006 , 11:05am
post #13 of 13

I have used rolled buttercream and it tastes wonderful, and can be used to cover a cake, (use more powdered sugar for stability, and many different figurines and forms, I'm going to try it for the valentine cookies..great idea, C.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%