Help! I Have To Make A Hearse Cake!

Decorating By chefdot Updated 27 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm by Janette

chefdot Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 30

OK I haven't really worked with fondant that much to mold something and have only carved one cake into a beetle car but it was soooo easy. Is there anyone out there that can give me some pointers on how to do a hearse cake. What kind of or shape of cake I should make, how to carve a cake into the shape... should it be frozen? I'm thinking I have to use fondant so that the black would not only look better but people wouldn't have black teeth and tongues from eating the frosting...although with the crowd I am making it for, they would probably get a kick out of that. Any advice would help! Thanx! icon_confused.gif

29 replies
Cakepro Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:37pm
post #2 of 30

I can't help you with your hearse cake (eek) but got a little chuckle because I know where your avatar is from. icon_wink.gif

MelC Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:41pm
post #3 of 30

Use chocolate fondant! You don't need much colour to make it black, and it tastes SO yummy!

Just google images for hearse, and you should get lots of pix!

BritBB Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:46pm
post #4 of 30

Well, that's unusual. Dare I ask what it's for?

cakeconfections Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 30

What an unual cake. Hearse is generally longer then a cake so I would suggest carving it from sheet cakes.

CSN Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:53pm
post #6 of 30

Are you serious? Why would you make a hearse cake?

prettycake Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 7:58pm
post #7 of 30

Is this a death anniversary icon_smile.gif cake ? Hearse is a funeral car right ? icon_eek.gif

llee815 Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 8:05pm
post #8 of 30

OMG! I can't help you, but my husband would love to have a hearse cake. Good luck and I'd love to see pictures!

chefdot Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:24pm
post #9 of 30

it's for my best friends boyfriend bday and he loves hearses... they are all gothic dark people. he would so get a kick out of it so i really want to be able to do it for him. I didn't think of chocolate fondant... how would you make that?

chefdot Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 9:25pm
post #10 of 30

cakepro... what did you mean about my avatar?

Cakepro Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 10:06pm
post #11 of 30

It's from neopets...I just figured you were a neopets player too.

Doug Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:02pm
post #12 of 30

here's a sketch:

(and for those who think my handwriting borders on hieroglyphics --

long loaf pan carved

BC or fondant covered

RI/CF/BCT for windows showing coffin

fondant fenders and details

silver luster dusted for chrome as desired

wheels UNDER the cake board...suggest small box or even a relatively flat brick to support board high enough (can hot glue board to box, wheels on skewers hot glued to support)

and other details (gargoyle??) to hearse.

could also do more squarish front end (when saw this, the hearse at the opening of the movie "Some Like It Hot" immediately came to mind....hmmm..and maybe a trail of whiskey???)

message reads: "Hearse to You!"
LL

prettycake Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:18pm
post #13 of 30

icon_smile.gif Are you making a Coffin or a Casket to put in it ?

chefdot Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 30

OMG I have so many question now for you Doug... I love the Hearse to You for the top though...
I would love to make a coffin to go in it, but how???
I don't think I am ready for such a complicated cake Doug! I appreciate your drawing, but I have so many more questions. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_eek.gif

chefdot Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:26pm
post #15 of 30

oh yeah, cakepro... i don't even know what neopets is... i found the avatar icon on photobucket.com. icon_smile.gif

Doug Posted 18 Jan 2006 , 11:36pm
post #16 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefdot

OMG I have so many question now for you Doug... I love the Hearse to You for the top though...
I would love to make a coffin to go in it, but how???
I don't think I am ready for such a complicated cake Doug! I appreciate your drawing, but I have so many more questions. icon_cry.gificon_redface.gificon_eek.gif

ok...ask away.

but first some thoughts:

>>> AHEM!!!! me thinks you are TOO modest. If you can make that VW bug cake, you can certainly make this. After looking at your other cakes, I'm very confident you can do it. (you just may have to go buy a long loaf pan). Don't sell yourself short. Go for it!!!!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

further:

cake is solid, so can't put coffin inside...it would just be a "picture" on the outside in either color flow (CF), royal icing (RI), or a buttercream transfer (BCT).

carving is done while cake is frozen using serrated knife. (notice I left the outline of the original shape of cake) could make front end lots more square if afraid of curves

fondant can be molded separately and applied -- think of it like playing w/ Play-Do, molds/shapes the same way.

CSN Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 2:18pm
post #17 of 30

I think that if these are gothic dark people like you called them, then you shouldn't be so concerned with them getting their tongues black because I think they would love that as well. Just my opinion.

chefdot Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 7:03pm
post #18 of 30

thanx Doug... you covered most of my questions... you're good.
thanx too for the compliments... i know i can do it, it's just stressful... besides the fact that i have another cake to do for another bday party that same day.
if you don't mind... i might just ask you some more questions later on once i get into it and start planning it when it gets closer. need to get thru this crazy weekend with all the cakes i have planned. thanx! you rock! thumbs_up.gif

chefdot Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:24pm
post #19 of 30

also, do you guys know where I can get the long loaf pan to make this? icon_confused.gif

Doug Posted 19 Jan 2006 , 11:52pm
post #20 of 30

I got mine at Michaels (w/ 40% off coupon of course)

think I've seen them at A. C. Moore

and can't remember about Hobby Lobby

and of course you can get it direct from Wilton.com

and if you want to bid your way to it, there's always eBay (4 up for bids as of this moment)

(is there a craft store that carries cake supplies too...they might have it also)

hsdwidow Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 10:16pm
post #21 of 30

Was the hearst cake ever made? I didn't see it in the photos. Just wondering.

chefdot Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 11:25pm
post #22 of 30

no, and since then they have broken up so won't be made anytime soon. thanx for asking icon_smile.gif

KHalstead Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:08am
post #23 of 30

yikes!!! they broke up?? too bad........I really wanted to see that cake!

RisqueBusiness Posted 1 Feb 2007 , 2:18am
post #24 of 30

you can make the back part out of pastillage that you paint black and assemble so you can place a little cake coffin in the back..

I think I'm going to try this!

I"m so loving it!!

Thanks Doug!

hsdwidow Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:30am
post #25 of 30

RisqueBusiness please do make it. I know you'll do it "tastefully" thumbs_up.gif

mrsright41401 Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:42am
post #26 of 30

Doug, have I told you that I love you lately?

LOL - you are like the nicest & coolest guy evar.

Rachel

Janette Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 12:50am
post #27 of 30

It would be cool to have the back door open and the coffin hanging out of it.

RisqueBusiness Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 1:38am
post #28 of 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janette

It would be cool to have the back door open and the coffin hanging out of it.

heheheh and a little boney hand sticking out of the askew lid..

icon_surprised.gif

oh yeah..where do I find that bone candy? icon_lol.gif

or having that little boney hand clutching a little long stemed rose! icon_biggrin.gif

7yyrt Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 3:28pm
post #29 of 30

Heck, it's easier just to bump these! Image

Janette Posted 27 Aug 2008 , 4:52pm
post #30 of 30

Did I get a kick out of seeing this.

I'm looking thinking I don't remember responding to this thread. Then I looked at the date.

It was 17 Months ago.

Thanks for the laugh.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%