Homemade Peanut Butter With Mash Potatoes Easter Eggs

Baking By aroth Updated 30 Mar 2013 , 7:20pm by garman225

aroth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aroth Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:04pm
post #1 of 14

I was wondering if anyone had a receipe for those really good homemade P.B. eggs which are made with mash potatoes?

I only ever have a chance to buy them at Easter time, but wanted to try and make my own this year.

Thanks for everyones help!
Amie

13 replies
mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 14

I've never heard of these. I'm interested now though...

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 14

WHAT???? icon_confused.gificon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

Now I'm intrigued.... icon_smile.gif

Housemouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Housemouse Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #4 of 14

POTATO - PEANUT BUTTER CANDY

This recipe comes from cooks.com website. Have to say this sounds 'orrible.........euuuugh!

1 lg. potato, cooked & peeled
Confectioners' sugar
Peanut butter

Mash potato with sugar, may take 1 pound or more. Mix until stiff. Sprinkle confectioners' sugar on board. Roll out like dough. Spread with peanut butter. Roll up like jelly roll. Cut in slices.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:47pm
post #5 of 14

irish potato candy (adapt maybe?) http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1738,156167-234199,00.html

this looks like it could be formed into eggs:
http://www.karenscountrykitchen.com/recipes/candy_recipes/mashed_potato_candy_recipe.htm

coconut eggs anyone?
http://baking.about.com/od/easteregg1/r/coconutcream.htm

and one more entry (note variations at bottom)
http://www.al.com/food/huntsvilletimes/index.ssf?/base/living/1169633768271140.xml&coll=1

-------

commonality --> they all seem to be replacing flour w/ mashed potato -- so that makes me wonder where else could you sub mashed potato for flour??? (a cake??)

denise2434 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
denise2434 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:49pm
post #6 of 14

I have a potato candy recipe that has peanut butter in it, but it's not in a egg shape, it's sliced to look like a pinwheel...if you would like the recipe just let me know. thumbs_up.gif

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 4 Mar 2007 , 10:51pm
post #7 of 14

I HAVE made potato candy. Its soooo good.

True story:

When I was in college I was taking a public speaking class & this was my demonstration speech. No One had ever heard of it & I handed it out at the end of my speech & everyone loved it. You can not taste the potatoes.

I just may have to make some more. icon_rolleyes.gif

cakeatopia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeatopia Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:27am
post #8 of 14

i recall my mom making a choc version around easter--i will give her a call in the morning.

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:35am
post #9 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glorioustwelfth

POTATO - PEANUT BUTTER CANDY

This recipe comes from cooks.com website. Have to say this sounds 'orrible.........euuuugh!

1 lg. potato, cooked & peeled
Confectioners' sugar
Peanut butter

Mash potato with sugar, may take 1 pound or more. Mix until stiff. Sprinkle confectioners' sugar on board. Roll out like dough. Spread with peanut butter. Roll up like jelly roll. Cut in slices.

Hey! This candy ROCKS!! It's like a comfort food to me. Reminds me of my carefree childhood days! The sugar and potato make a type of fondant. It's GOOD!! I'm figuring you could mix it all together instead of spreading the peanut butter, form it into egg shapes OR use the mini egg pan from Wilton...put it in the frig to slightly harden then take out and dip in chocolate! Makes me want to make some right now!!!

Beth in KY

edited to say: OOPS! Forgot to mention that I have seen recipes that you can use instant potatoes (1 envelope prepared WITHOUT butter) instead of the REAL potato.

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 12:46am
post #10 of 14

very interesting; let us know what comes of this-I'm now very curious. I've seen some doughnut recipes that cll for potatoes instead of flour and have yet to try them.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 6 Mar 2007 , 1:01am
post #11 of 14

I'm certain that for the baking divas on this board, this sounds wonderful. But, for the lesser among us, potatoes and chocolate combined sounded totatlly barfable. PLEASE let me know how this turns out.

Confectionary1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Confectionary1 Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:26am
post #12 of 14

My mother has made Potato Candy my entire life! Don't forget about dipping it in thinned white candy coating icon_wink.gif

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:45am
post #13 of 14

My Grandmother used to make this every Christmas and put red and green dye in the mash potatoes. I LOVED it. I used to look foward to it every year.

garman225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
garman225 Posted 30 Mar 2013 , 7:20pm
post #14 of 14

Hi!

i know this is an old thread, but it popped up on my search before I found the recipe I wanted. I think you were looking for these. They are peanut butter eggs made with mashed potato, NOT the potato candy that you roll up. 

Even though I'm sure the original poster has found her recipe long ago, I thought I'd post this here for anyone else that's searching for it.

Peanut Butter Eggs

1/4 lb. butter
1 lg. potato, cooked and mashed
8 oz. cream cheese
1 lb. 12 oz. jar peanut butter
3 lb. 10X sugar

Add butter to cooked mashed potato. Then add cream cheese, peanut butter, and sugar. It may take a little more sugar. Cream together well with hands and shape into eggs. Let stand until next day, coat with either milk chocolate or semi-sweet chocolate.

You can "hurry" the recipe by refrigerating the eggs until they are stiff. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%