Still Looking For A Moist Yellow Cake From Scratch Receipe..

Baking By Richiescakes Updated 18 Jun 2007 , 11:14am by Richiescakes

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 3:31am
post #31 of 42

I make the Toba Garret's moist yellow cake all the time. The only buttermilk I use is low fat. I didn't know they sold any other. The recipe recommends using Softassilk cake flour for best results. I sift first then measure. If you use regular flour, you have to omit two Tablespoons from each cup. I also make Slyvia Weinstock's classic yellow cake. Both are great tasting cakes. Hope this helps.

Richiescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Richiescakes Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:09pm
post #32 of 42

Ok everyone!
I must be doing something wrong!! I made Tobbet Garret's receipe and it still was a little dry to me. It looked moist but when I started eating it -- it was kinda of dry. WHAT AM I DOING WRONg!!

I went and got cake flour, measure it and make the buttermilk with sour cream. I put the oven on 325 to ensure it wouldn't cook too fast!! It MUST be user error.

I'm going to try Naty's receipe today --- so I'll let you know how that turns out.. HELP!! I'm running out of time... I'm having a launch party and I don't have a yellow/optional cake! icon_eek.gif

LeeAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LeeAnn Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:17pm
post #33 of 42

let us know what you thimk of Natis
Goodluck

Bethroze Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethroze Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:19pm
post #34 of 42

I use the "Moist Yellow Cake" recipe from www.allrecipes.com.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Moist-Yellow-Cake/Detail.aspx

It has a red velvet style texture, not light and fluffy. And I use one teaspoon of vanilla and one teaspoon of that bright yellow "Vanilla Butter and Nut" flavoring. Everyone loves it!

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 2:22pm
post #35 of 42

brthroze.. i have some of that vanilla butter nut flavor.. I havent ever used it in a cake.. UH OH I feel a cake coming on!

snarkybaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snarkybaker Posted 7 Mar 2007 , 5:18pm
post #36 of 42

My guess is that your cake is fine, but that you are used to the mouth feel of cake mix cakes.

Cake mixes contain a chemical called propylene glycol which is used in everything from paint to laxatives to smooth thing out, so it coats your tongue and gives that creamy, moist mouth feel. You can't get that with a scratch cake. I personally don't like it. I think it feels rubbery. frost your cake and give a piece to a couple of people you can trust to honestly critique your work. If they call it dry, maybe you should try another recipe.

Richiescakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:04am
post #37 of 42

txkat: Wow .. you impress me with knowing all that chemical stuff! Unfortunately I took some to my neigbhor that I trust- and she said it was dry too. I'm SURE it's me... So I'll keep trying. My "play'Mom gave me a receipe from Swans Down she said is great - it's the 1234 receipe. So I'm going to have a lot of cakes cooking tonight. Naty's, Swans Down and the one from the Cake Bible... I'll post once I get done --- Wish me LUCK with SOMETHING!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:18am
post #38 of 42

Good Luck Richiescakes... icon_smile.gif Can't wait to hear the outcome. I've been looking for a good recipe too.

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 12:23am
post #39 of 42

ok, I don't know if this has been suggested already, but are you measuring the flour by using the "fluff, scoop and level" type method - kind of stirring it up to loosen it up, lightly scooping it up then just swiping a knife across the top?

Just a thought ....

Richiescakes Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 2:43am
post #40 of 42

Ok everyone, the verdict is in! I made 4 yellow cakes and I have ratings for all!!

T. Garrett's cake --- it was too heavy and not moist enough. It felt like my mouth was overwhelmed with cake and I needed something to wash it down with ! icon_smile.gif I'm sure again it's operator error! - Thumbs Down!

Swan Down's 1234 Cake: It was Great! I like the flavor, it was moist and light. In addition it was sweet! (Which I'm a fan) -This is the only receipe (besides the Hershey Chocolate cake) that calls for both baking soda and powder. Wonder if that makes a difference on the texture? - Thumbs Up!

Naty's Cake: It WAS GREAT! I liked the taste.It too was light and moist and SWEET!! My husband thought it was a little too sweet-- but how can a cake be too sweet! icon_smile.gifhehehe It was very similar to the 1234 cake above... - Thumbs Up!

Rose's Favorite Yellow Cake -- It was ok -- it wasn't dry. This receipe called for sour creme -- which made the texture different but not bad. Overall I liked it but not better than Naty's and the 1234 cake on the swan down website. -- Thumbs in the middle? (Is that even possible? )

So everyone who has come to my rescue --- THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU!! Thank's for all the PM's and everything. My launch party is Saturday -yes I'm in business. I'm doing this part time since I still work full time. I wanted people to taste both chocolate and another flavor cake -- so again, thanks for helping out!! I will post with this thread a picture of the party and will be thinking of all of you!!!

Thanks again for all your help! I LOVE CC!!!!

Richelle

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 8 Mar 2007 , 3:13am
post #41 of 42

Richiescakes, did you use a simple syrup on Nati's cake? Thanks so much for letting us know how they turned out. It helps me to make up my mind which ones to try first.

Richiescakes Posted 18 Jun 2007 , 11:14am
post #42 of 42

Sorry I'm just replying to this message. No I didn't use a simple sryp. But now I am beginning to use it == I use a squirt bottle versus a brush. That way, I don't "over do it" on the syrup and make the cake soggy.

Also, here are some pictures from the party -- I'm soo behind and finally got a decent picture to post.

Thanks to ALL for your help on the receipes!!
LL

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%